Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 25,923 times

Advertisements

I now live in Maryland, but still own a home in DC. I want to leave my car registered to the DC address - as I plan to continue owning the home and have no intension to sell it, although I have moved to MD. Is this allowed? - to have my car still registered in DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,626 times
I don't know if it's technically allowed, since after moving out of DC you're supposed to surrender your tags. However, if you maintain a valid DC license, address, and registration, I guess it would be ok. I'm not entirely sure how they would determine your "permanent" residence vs. a second house.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
If you get caught doing this in MD you'll get hammered. Usually a couple hundred dollar fine plus you'll have to prove insurance which is fifty dollars a day fine. Prince Georges and Montgomery Counties are really watchful about this. To register in MD you'll have to go through the vehicle inspection and pay the 6% transfer tax based on the car's BlueBook value. If your residence is MD and you own it don't forget to claim the Homestead Exemption, limits the increase in your property taxes to 10% a year.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,075 times
If you are renting or live in an area with an HOA and don't have a garage for your vehicle, watch out. MoCo HOA's and landlords are known for checking their parking lots and reporting to the police. Our old HOA in Germantown sent out a notice warning residents of such action being taken. We had never had such a notice before, not that we would have been affected by it. Large management companies do it too--I know that the Avalon communities do it for a fact.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,085 times
You run a couple of risks. The insurance one is a bit tricky. You have the car registered in DC and that requires insurance in DC, which probably asked where the car is going to be located (which in this case would be MD). If you bend the truth on this it's called insurance fraud but if you call the agents they might be able to advise you of a mechanism to do so. In addition, some policies might balk if they found out you lived in MD but had the car in DC--you could be liable for the damages in an accident. It's worth checking out.

The second is DC taxes. I thought the DC IRS utilized the driver's registration system as a secondary check to look for tax dodgers, trying to go through and make sure everyone who is registered is paying income tax. I heard this once (and didn't actually believe it given the insanity of the DC IRS) but it might be the case.

Then of course are all the MD rules you might be violating about registering. (Don't know how people do it that have 'summer homes' in one state but live in another. Might be worth investigating)

Is there a particular reason you want DC tags (and higher insurance rates)?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 25,923 times
I use my cars for casual use, but commute via metrorail. So, I leave them parked in DC near my secondary-home (where I no longer reside). I didn't realize that there was anything wrong as I do have a valid DC address - a place I own that is not rented out or used otherwise by anyone else. I do have insurance in DC and the insurance company said that it was ok - since the cars were located/parked regularly in DC. A while ago, I had called Maryland MVA - when the lady (I didn't get her name) on the phone said that it was ok to still have the DC tags as I owned a secondary home there and the cars were regularly located there. So, I had not thought about it much after that - till now.... I do pay a lot for property tax DC and do forego the homestead exemption as the DC house is not my residence/domicile.

Is there still something wrong in doing this? I want to abide by the rules and don't want to unknowingly do something wrong.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrssmd View Post
Is there still something wrong in doing this? I want to abide by the rules and don't want to unknowingly do something wrong.
Again, I could be wrong, but if your cars are predominantly "garaged" in DC and you have a residence in DC (even though not primary), I think you're ok. It's more of an issue if you keep your DC plates, yet always park in MD, or try to use an address that really isn't yours. The biggest issue would probably be if you got pulled over with DC tags and a MD drivers license. That might cause some problems

Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,085 times
If the MVA and your insurance company have signed off on this, then I'd leave well enough alone. My only concern (besides the sort of weird tax thing) would be the meter maids (in either city). If you street park for > 2 weeks (or is it 1 month) in DC you can get a ticket, even if zoned in the right area. And if you have residential zoning/parking in MD then you might have the reverse should your car be out there.

But hey, overall I'd let sleeping dogs lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC