Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,309,400 times

Advertisements

Obama did take some steps towards tightening the rules on lobbying, but he remains beholden to special interests. I don't say this as an insult as it's hard to get that far without being in this situation. Look around town for all the union banners congratulating Obama/Biden and even an AFL CIO banner welcoming his daughters by name. They are definitely pressuring him on EFCA/card check.

He's not going to change the type of people that live in this area. Doing this is not part of his duty as President and, if he fails to change the type of people living in this area, it is not a failure. It's irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,374,691 times
There are 5+ million people in the DC area. Most of them had nothing to do with Bush and won't have anything to do with Obama. They just live and work here or go to school or sit around being retired. And for the most part, they picked a really nice area to do it in, too. Why would anybody leave just because a new administration has been installed...

Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 PM

22 posts, read 95,909 times
Where I work, things have already changed. Of course, I work in a pretty multi-racial (and international) hospital. But, there is a major change in outlook already and more mutual respect.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,032,997 times
People who live in Virgina will forever be envious to those who live in the District, regardless of who is president.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,653,626 times
Quote:
If anything Obama will make it worse. Obama represents the special interests and power-crazed lunatics that live and work in DC and look down on anyone who aint them.
You have absolutely no evidence for this absurd claim. Obama's fund raising was renowned for its broad participation - and that is a verifiable fact.

God, the vitrol people have for anyone with whom they disagree. The founders of this country were at each others' throats for months hammering out one of the most brilliant philosophical documents in human history. Obama's inaugural message was "it's time to grow up and stop acting childish". His transition and first days indicate he is doing just that. Bringing in people with experience to get stuff done in federal politics is not bad so long as he guides the political philosophy. I'm not sure what people hated so much about the 90s anyway - whether it was the peace, the prosperity, the transition to an entirely new technological economy, or the fact that we had nothing to worry about but political power grabs masked as moralistic tabloid scandels. Perhaps we can make another transition to a renewable energy economy.

If nothing else changes in DC, perhaps that will be enough. Starts with you.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 AM

470 posts, read 2,088,963 times
Man, this thread takes me back. I remember when Bill Clinton ushered in a new era of hope and change.

Whatever changes the "DC atmosphere" needs to make, they are well beyond the ability of whoever's in the Oval Office.

That's as it should be, IMHO. DC citizens are responsible for DC. We're not supposed to be royal subjects, as much as it feels that way sometimes.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,653,626 times
and Clinton more or less delivered.

You should try to move, Jim. You just seem to use every opportunity to bash DC.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM

470 posts, read 2,088,963 times
Thanks for the advice.

I didn't think anything I posted here was a "bash" against DC.

I just find it hilarious the idea that our new President's attitude will "radiate throughout the area," causing us to drive out the "smug evil lobbyists, preppie-turned-yuppies," etc. yada yada yada we all know what the OP wrote.

That's just not a criticism of DC. Frankly I think it'd be rather pathetic for the city's entire complexion to change as administrations come and go.

You think the man from hope delivered change we can believe in for DC? Fine by me. I lived in Brookland for a stretch in the mid-90s, and I didn't notice. Things were slowly starting to get better then, but it wasn't utopia.

In fact, a lot of people would say that DC was never, ever better than it was during the past eight years, despite all the smug evil lobbyists and boys of privilege wearing pink polo shirts around Glover Park.

My main point is Obama is the President, not the mayor or city council member. His time is not best spent on local issues, and DC will change as part of an organic process, not because of any radiating attitudes.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 PM

26,679 posts, read 41,525,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
People who live in Virgina will forever be envious to those who live in the District, regardless of who is president.
I live in Virginia and i dont envy anyone who has to live in DC.

Please if you are going to bash my state at least get the spelling correct.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 PM

26,679 posts, read 41,525,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You have absolutely no evidence for this absurd claim. Obama's fund raising was renowned for its broad participation - and that is a verifiable fact.

God, the vitrol people have for anyone with whom they disagree. The founders of this country were at each others' throats for months hammering out one of the most brilliant philosophical documents in human history. Obama's inaugural message was "it's time to grow up and stop acting childish". His transition and first days indicate he is doing just that. Bringing in people with experience to get stuff done in federal politics is not bad so long as he guides the political philosophy. I'm not sure what people hated so much about the 90s anyway - whether it was the peace, the prosperity, the transition to an entirely new technological economy, or the fact that we had nothing to worry about but political power grabs masked as moralistic tabloid scandels. Perhaps we can make another transition to a renewable energy economy.

If nothing else changes in DC, perhaps that will be enough. Starts with you.
Yep, it starts with me moving outta here.

But seriously i'm actually impressed with Obama's first week. He has been proactive and focused and to the point. I dont like his views but he has shown urgency, focus, and commitment which is something we aint had in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: