Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,904,107 times

Advertisements

For years, I've seen how most of the DC area is, specifically with the power-hungry, uptight attitude, self-righteous, uber-cliquish, obnoxious yuppie environment. But now that a new president is in town, many of these same people are rallying behind the change Obama will bring. While I don't doubt that he will do this nation some good, will his level-minded, across-the-board, stern-yet-calm attitude radiate throughout the DC area? Whether through a subconscious change from many people who live here or driving out the money-hungry politicians, smug evil lobbyists, and these preppy-turned-yuppie kids of privilege, will Obama's "change" really bring a change to the way people are (or what kind of people reside) in the DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 AM

999 posts, read 2,002,110 times
No, there will NOT be change in Washington, DC culture.

Power-hungry yuppies who only care about their resumes and getting closer to the decision makers cuts across ideology and political parties. the culture is terrible for finding true friendships and showing genuine kindness to other people. Women only judge dates by their resumes and connections.

I can't wait to get the (bleep) out of here some day.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,887,002 times
Obama went to Ivy League schools. He cut his political teeth in Chicago, whose money-hungry politicians and smug evil lobbyists (and indicted governors) make the DC version look like amateurs. He has already filled his administration with a combination of veteran Democratic pols and preppie/yuppie newcomers with similar Ivy League credentials. So, on what basis do you suppose there is going to be change in DC?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,305,465 times
Obama is not going to change anything. Look at his staff as mentioned above. Many (if not most) are Clinton hacks and or well-established players in the Democratic party. He said he has nothing to do with lobbyists, which has turned out to be false.

Special interests bankrolled Obama's campaign and their presence will continue. I saw a very large banner from AFL CIO welcoming his daughters to DC by name. I've also seen at least two other banners from Big Labor congratulating Obama/Biden.

If you look at his campaign and messages, there's not much to be excited about. At the end of the day, he believes that Government is the answer and should have EVEN MORE control than it currenty does. That will be the change he brings: MORE GOVERNMENT.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 AM

470 posts, read 2,088,325 times
Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,869,058 times
Default Ahhhh Change! And yet...

I, along with uber-throngs of innocent but concerned citizens, DO hope that someone in a white cowboy hat will at least try to grab the reins that can, potentially re-establish some sort of control on the runaway foamy-mouthed horses. (Don't-cha just LOVE "runaway" metaphors?).

Just watched the Inauguration (Wow! That administering Justice really screwed up Mr. Obama's magic moment, eh? What a dweeb!). I'm sceptically hopeful. The man seems sincere, but then so did Stalin, Hitler & Castro!

The BSM* populace certainly assumes that all will be A-OK now that the true "dWeeb" (in their narrow emotionalistic view, at least...) is turfed out. Wonder how it will all "go down" when there's a few ugly little reality checks down the pike? Street riots? National strikes? Tax revolts? "Polite Political Discourse" ???...

http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/fighting/fighting0002.gif (broken link)

And no way to conveniently blame it all on The Bush Admin. anymore? I mean, even for lib-Dem nut-balls like Al Franken (Groan) or Janeane Garofalo (Groan squared)and mean-spirited blamesmanship, right?

No? How sad. Here's to your future, DC! (PS: Keep your hands on those now legal sidearms!)

*BSMs: definition on request!

Last edited by rifleman; 01-20-2009 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: typos, graphics

Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM

382 posts, read 1,525,407 times
I don't think it will change much. I've never lived anywhere where people are so back biting and laugh at others misfortune.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,202,775 times
I doubt if Obama will bring that type of "change" to DC. I haven't met anyone that works in politics anyways. DC is going to continue to attract the same type of people perhaps a few more people like me who didn't neccesarily pick to live here because of the political atmosphere. I couldn't find a fulltime job to save my life and one happened to be up here. Besides I like DC and Virginia the good still outweighs the bad.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM

741 posts, read 2,772,759 times
The only thing I think might be changing is perceptions of DC from outside. I mean most people who criticize the cities problems still think Marrion Barry is running the show.

When people have come and seen the neighborhoods, and seen Obama with Fenty and so forth, I think their perception of DC will change that it's not a crack den or something. Still old habits die hard, and the people who still fear the cities will keep the same attitudes.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM

26,677 posts, read 41,504,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
For years, I've seen how most of the DC area is, specifically with the power-hungry, uptight attitude, self-righteous, uber-cliquish, obnoxious yuppie environment. But now that a new president is in town, many of these same people are rallying behind the change Obama will bring. While I don't doubt that he will do this nation some good, will his level-minded, across-the-board, stern-yet-calm attitude radiate throughout the DC area? Whether through a subconscious change from many people who live here or driving out the money-hungry politicians, smug evil lobbyists, and these preppy-turned-yuppie kids of privilege, will Obama's "change" really bring a change to the way people are (or what kind of people reside) in the DC area?
If anything Obama will make it worse. Obama represents the special interests and power-crazed lunatics that live and work in DC and look down on anyone who aint them. Now that they have Obama in office they will flaunt their statuses even more. I'm trying to give Obama a chance and to his credit he has been at least proactive but i cant fight my gut instincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: