Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM

49 posts, read 231,787 times

Advertisements

I am attending a show in Baltimore on the 25th. I currently live in DC and I am not quite sure how I will get there. I have heard of MARC trains so I checked out the website and it said that the Union Station stop closes at 10:30 pm. The show begins at 8:30 and will last until bout 10 I assume. Will the stations in BMORE and DC still be open at this time? I do not own a car so driving is out the question. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,070,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadb View Post
I am attending a show in Baltimore on the 25th. I currently live in DC and I am not quite sure how I will get there. I have heard of MARC trains so I checked out the website and it said that the Union Station stop closes at 10:30 pm. The show begins at 8:30 and will last until bout 10 I assume. Will the stations in BMORE and DC still be open at this time? I do not own a car so driving is out the question. Thank you for your help.
I think the bigger problem is that there are no MARC trains Southbound after 9:15pm, unless you are picking up an Amtrak.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Penn_Jan09.pdf (broken link)

Have you considered renting a car for the day?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
I think the bigger problem is that there are no MARC trains Southbound after 9:15pm, unless you are picking up an Amtrak.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Penn_Jan09.pdf (broken link)

Have you considered renting a car for the day?
I do not have a driving license. Is there any other way that I can get back to DC?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM

470 posts, read 2,088,474 times
Just go to amtrak.com and buy tickets.

Union Station to Baltimore's Penn Station and back on the evening of the 25th.

I'm sure it's doable, those Northeast Corridor lines run pretty late into the night.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Amtrak is an option. It's more expensive but they run quite late into the night. Amtrak.com will give you the details. Note: if you are planning on linking up with Metro in DC, be warned that sometimes the Amtrak gets delayed.

One way fares:

$27.00 2173 Acela Express
Baltimore, MD
- Penn Station
(BAL)
10:24 pm
25-FEB-09 Washington, DC
- Union Station
(WAS)
11:07 pm
25-FEB-09 0h 43m Snack car 1 Business Class Seat

$14.00 175 Northeast Regional
Baltimore, MD
- Penn Station
(BAL)
10:40 pm
25-FEB-09 Washington, DC
- Union Station
(WAS)
11:30 pm
25-FEB-09 0h 50m Snack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

Old 02-20-2009, 07:04 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,199,892 times
I suggest you use MARC to get to Baltimore and Amtrak to come back from Baltimore.

Where exactly is this show in Baltimore being held? Keep in mind Baltimore Penn Station (served by the MARC Penn Line and all Amtrak trains) is 1 1/2 miles or so north of downtown. (By contrast, Baltimore Camden Station - served by the MARC Camden Line - is located at the south edge of downtown Baltimore, on the other side of the warehouse at the Oriole Park at Camden Yards baseball park.) Baltimore Penn Station is linked to the Baltimore light rail, which runs on Howard Street in downtown Baltimore. Also, the location of the show may not be that close to either the Baltimore light rail or the Baltimore subway.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I suggest you use MARC to get to Baltimore and Amtrak to come back from Baltimore.

Where exactly is this show in Baltimore being held? Keep in mind Baltimore Penn Station (served by the MARC Penn Line and all Amtrak trains) is 1 1/2 miles or so north of downtown. (By contrast, Baltimore Camden Station - served by the MARC Camden Line - is located at the south edge of downtown Baltimore, on the other side of the warehouse at the Oriole Park at Camden Yards baseball park.) Baltimore Penn Station is linked to the Baltimore light rail, which runs on Howard Street in downtown Baltimore. Also, the location of the show may not be that close to either the Baltimore light rail or the Baltimore subway.
The show is at Rams Head Live. I am not sure where that is. And your suggestion of taking MARC to Bmore and Amtrak back to DC sounds like my only option. However, I am looking at the Amtrak schedules right now and it seems that there are not any train rides from Bmore to DC past 11pm. The earliest time I see is at 12:40am on the 26th.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 AM

My mistake. I do see the 11:35 PM slot on Amtrak.com. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,199,892 times
It looks like Rams Head Live is over at the east end of downtown Baltimore. It is located very close to the Shot Tower/Market Place Baltimore subway stop. I'd guess you are looking at a 15 minute walk from Camden Station (or a 6-8 minute walk to Lexington Market and 2-3 minute ride on the subway), while the trip to Penn Station probably will take somewhere on the order of 30-45 minutes, depending on how quickly you can get a Baltimore subway train, how quickly you can get a Baltimore light rail train that goes to Penn Station (to transfer from the subway to the light rail, exit at Lexington Market and walk one block east above ground to the Lexington Market light rail stop on Howard Street). There may be buses that run a route that generally goes from the Rams Head Live location to Penn Station too (which may be a better bet).

Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM

If you are going to Penn Station after the show, I'd try to just jump in a cab. It's a quick shot up I-83 (like < 5 minutes) and probably not that expensive.

One other thing: both those late trains are all reserved, so I think you have to buy a ticket for one or the other. You might play it 'late' and just buy the ticket from the machines when you arrive in the station. That way you could get the earlier train if your show is over early, or the late train if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC