Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 PM

146 posts, read 438,242 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have thought about DC and although I never visited before I am considering moving there. I am also considering moving there sight unseen as I dont want to spend extra money just visiting a place when I could just move However, I also dont want to be disappointed, or feel foolish if I move without checking it out first.

So, Im 21 and I work full-time in the nightlife-entertainment industry. Im also a student. I wish I could come with a specific question, but in a way I wish I could just get one answer as to whether I should consider moving there or not. I know for one DC has lively entertianment venues so making a living shouldnt be an issue.

Whats the average price of a 1 bedroom or 1 room? Car insurance rates? Can someone my age (alone) live in a nice area? Im originally from Miami so I have dealt with alot of these issues and since the thought of moving to Miami has crossed my mind a couple of times I thought, if I could survive in Miami then might as well move someplace new and up north instead.

Thanks! Im getting anxious just writting this as I have all these thoughts in my head and am not sure if its a good idea or if its plan for disaster! Im so afraid but at the same time so determined and really want to get out from Texas and Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 AM

180 posts, read 667,845 times
A nice 1 bedroom in DC proper in a nice, hip, safe area will run around 1800. A studio is more reasonable. You can save even more by living in an "edgier" area that is up and coming. I've got no idea what kind of money your field brings in, so I can't comment there. You can live much cheaper if you're willing to live just outside of DC proper but still on the Metro Line, like Silver Spring, MD.

I moved to the area last year and f'ing love it here.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,725,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
Whats the average price of a 1 bedroom or 1 room? Car insurance rates? Can someone my age (alone) live in a nice area?
A 1-bedroom in a nice, safe, popular area is around $1800, as someone else said, though I have seen some advertised for $1600. You can find studios and efficiencies for ~$1250+. My car insurance (liability-only) is just over $600/year. Yes, someone your age can live in a nice area. The biggest hurdle is the money. A lot (myself included) get a roommate to save money, or you can also live in a borderline area.

First off, I wouldn't move without having a job first. Secondly, if you're going to move sight-unseen, sign a short-term lease (i.e. 5 or 6 months instead of a full year). That way, if you truly don't like where you're living, you have the option to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC