Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 9,538 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have this amazing opportunity to come and work for 1 to 2 years in Rockville and would really appreciate your help
in choosing a location that is suitable for me!

A little about myself first: I'm in my mid 20's, single and fairly sociable. I therefore would like to find a place
that would enable me to have a good social life in DC whilst allowing me to commute easily to Rockville, place where
I'll be working.

Having lived in London (UK) for 2 years now, I'm used to a really good and fast transport system. That is why I need
to be careful not to be over optimistic about Washington DC metro! nevertheless I can already see that Friday and
Saturday nights have very late services (great!!!), and that Rockville and the city center are linked by the red
line in about 30 minutes (great again!!!)

So my question is where would you advise me to live given that for the time being I do not plan to buy a car?

My thinking is that mid-way between Washington city center and Rockville near a metro station would be the best.

My prerequisites would be as follows:

- Safe/nice neighborhood
- Easy and safe commute to city center day and night
- Reasonable taxi fare should I miss the last metro
- Shops/gym close by
- Nice room in a flat/apartment with other like minded individuals

Question is where should I live, and what should I expect to pay?

Many thanks for your great help in advance! I’m sooo looking forward to live in the US for a little while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM

708 posts, read 1,298,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie-winnie View Post
Hi everyone,

I have this amazing opportunity to come and work for 1 to 2 years in Rockville and would really appreciate your help
in choosing a location that is suitable for me!

A little about myself first: I'm in my mid 20's, single and fairly sociable. I therefore would like to find a place
that would enable me to have a good social life in DC whilst allowing me to commute easily to Rockville, place where
I'll be working.

Having lived in London (UK) for 2 years now, I'm used to a really good and fast transport system. That is why I need
to be careful not to be over optimistic about Washington DC metro! nevertheless I can already see that Friday and
Saturday nights have very late services (great!!!), and that Rockville and the city center are linked by the red
line in about 30 minutes (great again!!!)

So my question is where would you advise me to live given that for the time being I do not plan to buy a car?

My thinking is that mid-way between Washington city center and Rockville near a metro station would be the best.

My prerequisites would be as follows:

- Safe/nice neighborhood
- Easy and safe commute to city center day and night
- Reasonable taxi fare should I miss the last metro
- Shops/gym close by
- Nice room in a flat/apartment with other like minded individuals

Question is where should I live, and what should I expect to pay?

Many thanks for your great help in advance! I’m sooo looking forward to live in the US for a little while!
Depending on your budget, I would definitely recommend Bethesda, which is on the Red Line, and has a much better social environment than Rockville. I think you will find what you are looking for there. As to what to pay, try www.craigslist.org look in Maryland, DC Suburbs, apts. housing.

Last edited by seethelight; 07-20-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM

470 posts, read 2,097,342 times
Try looking in Dupont Circle or Woodley Park.

Pay between $1,700 and $2,200 for a nice 1br apartment.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,570,081 times
It depends entirely upon what your budget is. If you're in the range Jim mentions above, then definitely look for something around the Dupont-Woodley Park-Cleveland Park neighborhoods. You'll find some similarities to London neighborhoods there.

Bethesda would be a second choice, at about the same price range. Not as interesting as what you'll find closer in, but central Bethesda has quite a bit going on.

Rockville would be a distant third. It would be by far the least expensive option, but there isn't nearly as much going on. The new town center development has a few restaurants and such, but beyond that there's no much activity. And Rockville Pike is one ugly stretch of road, let me tell you.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 AM

5 posts, read 9,538 times
Hello,

Is between $1,700 and $2,200 the price i'd be paying if I wanted to live on my own? If yes how much should I expect to pay if I wanted to share with other people? Looking through craiglist it seemed that $1200 could get me a very nice place with nice facilities as long as I share which i'd be happy to do!

Thanks for the advise!

Vincent

Old 07-21-2009, 03:40 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,511,792 times
Yeah, $1200 will get you an 'OK' studio flat or a top-notch share in a luxury apartment complex. I'd go with downtown Bethesda----lots of people your age. If you want to live in the city and don't mind the commute, look for a share in Dupont Circle---also lots of people your age. Both are walkable neighborhoods---a car isn't necessary, and both neighborhoods are on the Red Line.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:45 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,511,792 times
When I was in my 20's, I did the group-house thing and I found it to be a great way to meet people. I still have friends from that experience. You're from the UK---you won't have any trouble making friends here.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,090,890 times
Bethesda if you can afford it. Woodley or Cleveland Park are also possibilities, as is Dupont Circle. You might also look at the Senate Side around Union Station. A bit quieter though.

britishexpats. com has a good forum for Brits moving to the US if you want some advice on cultural things or other matters (like health insurance coming from the NHS to the US private system). Worth checking out the USA boards there.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,037,726 times
The only place that I would add to what everyone else has already mentioned would be Penn Quarter which is right downtown on the Red Line (Gallery Place metro station). Lots and lots of bars and great restaurants, plush you're walking distance to various monuments and museums.

However, Bethesda would give you the best of both worlds. It would be the shortest commute to Rockville and still only be a 10 minute ride on the Metro downtown to Dupont Circle. Plus, Bethesda itself has numerous bars, shops and restaurants in its own downtown area that you could walk to. But it lacks the "club scene" that Washington has.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,237,069 times
The advantage to Bethesda is that it's a quicker commute to your work, and cab fare would be less if you miss the last Metro.

The advantage to something from Dupont Circle up to Cleveland Park would be the city feel and being able to walk/bike to things to do in DC without having to take Metro from Bethesda. Anything north of Cleveland Park to Chevy Chase along Connecticut Ave is rather dull in the immediate vicinity.

Bethesda used to be characterized as "there's no 'there' there", but it has grown and improved, in my opinion. Still, I'd prefer DC living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC