Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 AM

583 posts, read 1,252,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkanij View Post
Can you please tell me a little more about Government Contracting? What's the unique culture like? Also, is 'security clearance' a barrier to entry? I obviously don't have a security clearance and from what I know, unlike an MBA its not something I can obtain unless an employer places me on a government project that requires one.

I'm also looking at usajobs.gov for jobs directly with the government, but I'm not sure if someone with a high-tech product management/marketing profile is desirable for any of those positions. If you can shed some light on this or share any experiences, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks much!
It all depends on where you business professional network is. In DC as everywhere else it matter the most who you know and what connections you have. I wouldn't rely on your MBA degree as something special, DC area is known to have a very large number of graduates from top US schools including Ivy Leagues (which are closer to DC area geographically) and MBA degree or other advanced degree is not a rarity.

the bottom line is, try to find a job before you move. If you network/connections to get you places are stronger in Bay Area I would stay there if career/financial gain is the most important thing for you. Government contracting can be pretty tough to get into without the right connections and without clearance. Yes, there are jobs out here that pay good salaries or hourly rates for contracting, but in general Federal contracting rates are a bit lower than commercial as they have limits.

Basically, all depends on what your career goals are. If you will be content to be making solid low 6 figure income doing some routine type of technology work, you probably will be ok here without much connections. If your ambition is trying to make it into the big leagues, it will be tough without the right network in an unfamiliar city, you will be better off sticking with the place where you have built yourself some foundation.

COL is DC area is not significantly lower than SF, it's not like moving to Atlanta or Kansas. You will be probably mostly even if wanting to get a nice house in a upscale suburb close to the city with good schools. As far as your wife's career, that's another thing to consider, but that's a personal thing you both need to decide. You need to decide as a family whose career is more important and whether your wife may in the future decide to stay at home. I won't be able to give you any advice on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 03:11 PM

44 posts, read 158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkanij View Post
Considerations:

3. People
We have a good network of friends and like-minded people to associate with in the bay area. We've lived in DC before and it’s not the same.
Regarding the OP's comment #3, you can certainly find like-minded people here because there is such diversity. You will find some kindred spirits at your child's school and some through your jobs.

But there is a definite cultural difference to this area vs the SF bay area...people there as a rule are more laid back and liberal. Here, you have a concentrated area of political liberals (especially in Montgomery County on the Maryland side) and more moderate, middle of the road people with a sprinkling of political conservaties on the No. Va. side (where the military is for the most part concentrated as well). But the entire city has a much more edgy, competitive, "who do you know and what do you do" vibe that might not appeal to somebody from SF.

I personally have had it with the negatives here after 25+ years and can't wait to move West. But I still think this is a very beautiful city with many excellent schools and job opportunities and access to mountains, beaches, wineries, and cultural opportunities. The real estate here will hold its value and yet you will find it is refreshingly "affordable" compared to what you have seen in SF. Good Luck with your decision.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM

330 posts, read 878,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laminmd View Post
Regarding the OP's comment #3, you can certainly find like-minded people here because there is such diversity. You will find some kindred spirits at your child's school and some through your jobs.

But there is a definite cultural difference to this area vs the SF bay area...people there as a rule are more laid back and liberal. Here, you have a concentrated area of political liberals (especially in Montgomery County on the Maryland side) and more moderate, middle of the road people with a sprinkling of political conservaties on the No. Va. side (where the military is for the most part concentrated as well). But the entire city has a much more edgy, competitive, "who do you know and what do you do" vibe that might not appeal to somebody from SF.

I personally have had it with the negatives here after 25+ years and can't wait to move West. But I still think this is a very beautiful city with many excellent schools and job opportunities and access to mountains, beaches, wineries, and cultural opportunities. The real estate here will hold its value and yet you will find it is refreshingly "affordable" compared to what you have seen in SF. Good Luck with your decision.
Most of Nova is very liberal - as much as Maryland or even more so. Nova is definitely not like the rest of Virginia. However, the south side of Nova and extreme western side of Nova does have what you describe. But the majority of Nova is very liberal and the diversity rivals the Bay Area since there are people in Nova from just about every country in the world.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM

381 posts, read 814,222 times
In terms of tech firms, its true that there aren't any Fortune 500 software companies headquartered here. But there are a lot of smaller software companies headquartered here.

There are other types of tech headquartered here: Lockheed Martin, CSC, General Dynamics

Others were here but were acquired: XM, AOL, MCI/WorldCom, Nextel, etc. Eventually others will replace them.

So its not right to call it a backwater of tech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: