Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times

Advertisements

I have a bunch of relatives (5, to be exact, aged from mid-30s to early 60s) coming into town this weekend, 2 of whom are from Philly. What would be a good place to go to watch the Phillies game tomorrow (and probably Friday)? As much as I love sports bars, I've realized that I don't go to them often in the area!

I know about Ventnor Sports Cafe, but don't know if they'd be up for the trek out to Adams Morgan, and I'm also thinking that it'll be really crowded there. I have heard something about Capitol Lounge being a "Phillies" bar, but don't know if that's true. Would they be very crowded on a Thursday night? Anywhere else? I have a preference for places in Capitol Hill, Chinatown/Gallery Place, or Penn Quarter, since it's close to home (SW Waterfront). We could also go somewhere in the 'burbs as long as there's easy parking (we'd have to take 2 cars). Aside from that, our main requirements are that it be at least moderately clean, have decent food (pub grub is fine), and wouldn't be impossible to find a table for 6 near a TV. I could be tempted into going to Dupont Circle, either by metro or driving (I know several places to park near the circle), though the only place I know there is Buffalo Billiards.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:25 PM

188 posts, read 670,248 times
There's Union Pub on Mass and D NE which is just a few blocks from Union Station. I feel like its a sports bar although I only ate outside there... good food tho.

Grogan's in Adams Morgan rules. Its a total hole in the wall bar on Columbia Road near So's You're Mom and Bank of America. Very cheap, pretty clean, not crowded ever.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks! I forgot about all about Union Pub, I've only been there for a kickball party so I didn't know how it would be on a regular night. I'll have to check out Grogan's as well...

Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Nellie's at 9th and U is great, but it is a gay-themed sports bar, so your relatives may or may not be comfortable in that environment. Mr. and Mrs. 14thandyou are there pretty much every Saturday cheering on Mr. 14thandyou's beloved Buckeyes.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:21 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
I still go to Crystal City Sports Pub even though I moved from Arlington to DC, best sports bar in the area.

Best in the neighborhoods you mentioned is either Penn Quarter Sports Tavern, right near the Archives stop or The Ugly Mug near Eastern Market. I would have been at the Ugly Mug if the Sox had made the ALCS. I'm sure the Pour House will have the game as well, but the Mug might be comfortable for your older guests.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,087 times
I agree that the Ugly Mug is a nice bar.

I haven't been to ESPN Zone, but there's one somewhere downtown I think. That might be a decent place to go.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,006 times
I like Buffalo Billiards myself. James Hobans, although more a restaurant than a bar, is a Phillies bar (or it is when the manager from philly is working). There's a back room with a big TV. It's right off the circle as well.

Blackfin restaurant just opened on I street near the farragut west metro stop. It's in the CBD, so parking shouldn't be to bad on the weekend. Might not be too much of a crowd, but it's got a great layout and TVs everywhere. I find myself spending a lot of time/money there after work.

Edit: GO PHILS!

Last edited by KStreetQB; 10-14-2009 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot to root for the BEST BASEBALL TEAM EVER

Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:47 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
Hope the advice worked out for you. One place for future reference that should work is the Rhino Bar in Georgetown (I know, not the most convenient place). Though I've never been there (because of the inconvenient location), I do know that is the preeminent Philadelphia Eagles bar in Washington DC. I would think they'd show Phillies games there too.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks! We ended up at Bullfeathers for one game and then Ventnor for the other, since my parents had decided to take a driving tour and we were up in Adams Morgan anyway. I'll have to give the other bars a shot in the future, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC