Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times

Advertisements

So I am doing some work on my house and it's in the historic district (which I love). Due to that fact, I have to adhere to all sorts of stuff when I am considering what renovations to do, so I was shooting some ideas back and forth with the historical preservation department and they made some recommendations that I liked, but I have been having an impossible time tracking down two things.

1.) Decorative iron wrought window guards. I love this look, and being in a city, I'd rather have them than not. I see some really awesome examples walking around the city, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out who makes nice ones in the area. There are a few websites I have found, but I can't tell one apart from the other. Has anyone had a good experience having these installed, and who did they get them from?

2.) Narrow double doors. I see them everywhere around the city. My doorway is only 54" from masonry to masonry, so a full double door or standard door with sidelights isn't an option. I'm not sure if there is a certain terminology for them, but I can't find any 'double doors' being sold that are this narrow. Example picture from Prince of Petworth's door of the day entries:

Prince Of Petworth » Blog Archive » Door of the Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
See if this guy is still in business. He does old iron front steps. He might do your windows or know who does.

Fred Mashack
1804 Half St. SW
Washington, DC 20024
tel. 202-554-4455

Old 10-30-2009, 09:08 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
You could always buy a larger set of double doors, take off the hinges, one slide down a table saw, reattach the hinges and viola, it fits (something I had to do when I mismatched some doors for an Ikea wardrobe once).

As from the iron bars, I see them everywhere but I'm not really sure I'd put them on (vs. some extra strong windows / plexiglass on the lower levels). Still have horrible memories of that family that died on the hill when the firemen couldn't get through those iron bars (man, that was about 15 years ago I think).

Old 10-30-2009, 11:48 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might have something for fred even if he doesn't do the windows.

Yeah, I've been reading about the dangers of the bars when it comes to fires. I have 3 exterior doors on the first floor - basically accessible from all first floor rooms but one. Second floor has another door with a balcony and stairs leading to the lawn, plus you can escape through a roof hatch, so I'm thinking that should be enough.

I actually had a security team come out with the plexiglass stuff, and he told me to try to break the sample. I kicked through it in one try. I don't think either of us came out of that meeting happy. heh.

I'm finding the supply for these narrow double doors comes mostly from salvaging antique doors. I've found some really beautiful ones online that will fit my doorway.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Something that might be helpful is to stroll around the neighborhood and look at the contractor/architect/construction signs that are posted in front of houses undergoing renovation. Some of these guys specialize in renovating historic properties, and would likely be able to put you in touch with businesses or artisans who can provide what you're looking for.

I also know a guy who does artisnal iron work, and is based in the Shenandoah. I don't know if he'd do something like decoartive window bars, but he does pretty amazing work.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 PM

282 posts, read 873,319 times
You can get new "narrow" double doors:
TruStile Premium MDF, Wood and Glass Doors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: