U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 12,001 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I was hoping someone could help me with my problem. I received a letter in June for an unpaid dc parking ticket, and an amount due of $100. The notice had a different car listed on it, but had my license plate number. The problem is that I was never in dc on the day/time that this happened, and therefore never got the parking ticket. My car was not there either. I don't even live in dc.

When I called the dc adjudication office to say that this was an error, they told me to send in a letter stating the circumstances. 6mos later I received a letter from a hearing examiner stating that I was liable for the fine, and that i would have to pay $60 to appeal that decision. This is so unbelievable to me. How can I be liable for something I didn't do? The ticket itself is in error (based on what's in their system). The rep @ the dc adjudication office didn't even inform me that I was waiving my right to an in-person hearing when I sent them the letter informing them of their error!

If anyone has advice on what I should do next, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 12,001 times
Also, to be clearer, when I sent them the letter I did include my registration (that lists my actual car on it) as evidence. The hearing examiner still found me liable.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,349,555 times
Call the local media and report it. They love stories that make DC gov't look bad, especially when it comes to tickets.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 AM

187 posts, read 333,353 times
Double check your registration. I had a problem a few years ago where the tags on my car were one digit off from the registration. The clerk had pulled the wrong set of tags and it took 3 years and a series of parking tickets to discover the error. I resolved it by appearing in person at the traffic adjudication court. They voided the tickets and I got new tags.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:50 PM

605 posts, read 2,063,524 times
A lot of people with legitimate reasons to protest a ticket lose in the adjudication-by-mail process. I've been ticketed for blocking a building entrance when I was parked at a working meter, which I had fed. That's just the most egregious example I can come up with; I've had several other tickets that were nonsense.

Technically speaking, your license plate could have been transferred from one car to another. The hearing examiner is probably trying to protect against such a case. It stinks and it's unfair. However, you may end up paying more money to fight the ticket. Pay it and make it go away. If you still feel wronged, then blog about it, write the City Council, or submit the story to the local news. I love living in DC, but I will freely admit that we're openly hostile toward those who park and drive here. Also, it seems that you're guilty until proven innocent when it comes to parking violations.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 10,510 times
I got a parking ticket with the incorrect license plate number on my car. The description of the car is accurate, (no vin # though), but not the plates. It was off one digit. Is this ticket now invalid?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,055,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkea View Post
Hey,

I was hoping someone could help me with my problem. I received a letter in June for an unpaid dc parking ticket, and an amount due of $100. The notice had a different car listed on it, but had my license plate number. The problem is that I was never in dc on the day/time that this happened, and therefore never got the parking ticket. My car was not there either. I don't even live in dc.

When I called the dc adjudication office to say that this was an error, they told me to send in a letter stating the circumstances. 6mos later I received a letter from a hearing examiner stating that I was liable for the fine, and that i would have to pay $60 to appeal that decision. This is so unbelievable to me. How can I be liable for something I didn't do? The ticket itself is in error (based on what's in their system). The rep @ the dc adjudication office didn't even inform me that I was waiving my right to an in-person hearing when I sent them the letter informing them of their error!

If anyone has advice on what I should do next, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
I think you probably didn't include enough "proof" for the adjudication process to set aside the ticket. The problem now is that winning at the next level will be even harder and it may cost you an additional $60. You may be in the right, but at some point you need to make a pragmatic decision about whether you will win. The other issue is that if you never park in DC, you can probably blow it off.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,526,708 times
Get a new tag. I owed like $700 in parking tickets before I left NOLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC