U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 24,683 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from southern California and a new job will be taking me to DC. I would like to know where are the best places to live. I am in my mid-twenties so I would like a place where there are other young professionals. I am also looking for a place that has shopping, restaurants, bars, and clubs. I am making ok money so I am looking to pay no more than $1500 a month. Please let me know of any places that are close to metro stations, I have a car but I heard it is easier to take the metro into downtown DC. Lastly, I am African-American so I would like a place that is diverse.

Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,763,178 times
hmmmm 1500 a month.......ummmmmm would you consider an area located right outside of DC in the suburbs? If so....check out Silver Spring.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,194,456 times
For $1500 you have lots of options. Dupont Circle and Logan Circle are really nice, popular areas. U Street is a little grittier and has eclectic bars/restaurants. Adams Morgan is the big bar area, and its your personal preference in terms of how close you would want to be to that (mostly on 18th Street, so a few blocks away would be quieter). Mt Pleasant is close enough to walk to Adams Morgan and U Street, but a little quieter.

There are other good neighborhoods as well, but given your stated preference for being near bars, clubs, restaurants, and such, the Dupont/Logan/U Street/Adams Morgan area seems the best fit. Also, most people in those neighborhoods don't drive and parking can be tight. You could start out looking for a place with parking just to see what's there, but it might be worth your while to leave the car.

Also, where are you working? Look at what Metro or bus lines are nearby to ensure an easy commute. If possible, it's best to be on a direct line so you don't waste time with transfers.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM

14 posts, read 102,232 times
I am not sure if $1,500 could get you anything in the areas mentioned above, especially if it's near any metro station. If you can find anything for that amount, grab it.

Another suggestion if you're unable to find anything for $1,500 would be the H street area. It seems like every month or so a new bar/restaurant pops up on that street. And if it's diversity you want, there's no better place than H st. Only problem is there's no metro in the area. The closest one would either be Union Station (less than a mile away) or the New York ave station (also about a mile away). You could easily catch one of the buses in the area and you'd be there in under 10-15 minutes. Another problem with H st is all the construction going on. They are installing a new trolly line and expanding the sidewalks so parking is really an issue right now. Crime is also a little higher there but it is mostly drug related incidents.

I'm not sure what the rental prices are right now but in 2004 I was renting a basement 1 bedroom unit in a house for $1,450 + elec in mt. vernon sq (approx 550 sq ft). I have to assume that same unit is going for at least $1700 now. In the H st area you could get a basement unit for $1,000-1200 or a small 2 bedroom rowhouse for about $1500-$1700 a month.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,743,980 times
I think you can get a decent one bedroom for $1500 but not top of the line for sure. Yeah the places to look have been touched upon Adams Morgan, Dupont, U street. Georgetown has a lot going on too best shopping in the city, plenty of restaurants, and lots of bars and it has a movie theater unlike the other areas mentioned, but that area doesn't have a metro stop.

The most diverse spot I"m thinking is going to be around the U street area since you're so close to Howard University. But yeah as mentioned parking is tight in that area. Really and truly the most car friendly parts of the city are further out away from the hot spots. Some places have a parking space included in the rent but most do not. So you'll have to park on the street which will not be too easy on a Friday night since you'll fight for parking with folks like myself who drive in from VA and MD to party. Honestly if you've got a pad off U street and a job in the city then you really won't need a car like someone like myself who works in VA.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM

44 posts, read 149,796 times
Silver Spring is very diverse and you are likely to find much lower rents there than in most of the other areas that have been mentioned. The commute could be an issue, but at least you will be very close to the metro station.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 24,683 times
Thanks so much for the great responses. Everyone is really giving me a good idea about where I should live since I don't know the DC area.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 PM

18 posts, read 43,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2010 View Post
Thanks so much for the great responses. Everyone is really giving me a good idea about where I should live since I don't know the DC area.
I agree. Check out The Veridian in Silver Spring.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 PM

83 posts, read 464,866 times
I would say stay in a short term housing or extended hotel for a least 1 month. Everyone has different taste in living environment. You should see it for yourself before signing a long term lease! Good thing about rental is that you can move easily, but it is still painful

If you want to live in Downtown, check out Truman near Logan Circle. I know they are really cheap. I am assuming you have no pets (it allows pets anyway) and you don't mind a small space? $1500 can get you at least a studio if you don't have pets. Check out private listing as well..... they tend to be more affordable, but a lot of scams on craigslist now, so be careful

Not sure about other areas, but the apts I looked at changed their prices daily. It can be an issue when you renew the lease. I have seen price swing a few hundred dollars within days. So if you do find an upscale place for cheap, be mindful that you might have to pay a lot when you want to renew.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM

593 posts, read 2,346,198 times
My advice would be to get a roommate. Why?

For $1500/month, in most Metro-accessible parts of DC you can live in a small (studio likely), mediocre apartment...or get a roommate and for the same price (or less) you can live in a palace! Well, at least a nice, large, new apartment in a great location. You could definitely find a nice 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment for about $2,000 - 2,700 depending on the neighborhood, and your rent would only be 1/2 of that.

So it all comes down to whether you would be willing to live w/ a roommate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>