Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 AM

207 posts, read 537,350 times

Advertisements

Okay so I'm doing my research. Learning about neighborhoods, zone permits, red lines, blue lines, yellow and green (is funky scene, hahahaha) And then it dawned on me. If I go sans car (no car) in DC, I can live in places near the Metro stations and get to work that way.

And of course I just read up on the "Zipcar" service. (More like a self service rental car idea that you can use by the hour like a cab, that's how I got it)

Being a true Detroiter, just the thought of going without a car is actually giving me anxiety, but DC is more functional with its public transit system, so I thought I'd do it. Besides, I wouldn't have to pay for parking, no zone permits, no changing over my license plates and no paying apartment parking fees, which are HIGH AS SH.............

Still looking in the burbs, Alexandria, Arlington and now Hyattsville, (just to have options, don't kick me out, lol)

But if you all can give me some names of some nice places that are on are in walking distance (10-15 minutes) of Metro Stations in DC.

So far I've found, Senate Square (near Union Station) Park place at metro station (its next to a Target, dare to dream)

In Alexandria, I found The Courts at Huntington Station and in Hyattsville Maryland I have found Post Park and Mosaic both near Prince George's Metro. Great prices on all (except Senate Square, kinda too high but if I starve myself and the dog, it could work, hahaha)

Any other places?? Hit me up. Bombard me. Give me the good the bad and the ugly. I'm trying to search on my own. And sorry Chevy Chase needs to quit playing!! 2,000 for a studio. HELL TO THE NAW. (well not single anyway, married with great salaries, okay but by myself, noooooooo buddy)

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:34 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
The DC Transit site. Easiest way to find out where the metro stations are.

Google maps helps as well.

The area you want to live in totally depends on what kind of life style you prefer

Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,376,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
In Alexandria, I found The Courts at Huntington Station and in Hyattsville Maryland I have found Post Park and Mosaic both near Prince George's Metro.
Don't know about the MD ones, but I would not live in Huntington without a car. It's not an urban location so there's not a lot within walking distance of the Metro station.

If you like Huntington, I would keep the car and go to one of the cheaper, older complexes like Belle Haven or Huntington Gateway.

If you want to ditch the car, live next to a Metro in DC or Arlington.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I think it depends on stuff like lifestyle and whether or not your car is paid for as well. Most people I know who get rid of their cars once they're in the city pay a lot of money to live in a convenient location so they didn't save anything but they hate driving so much its worth it. I'm the opposite and like to be in control and hate walking in this cold weather (taking a walk in DC in the summer on the other hand, is life affirming). I'm moving to a spot in south Arlington (with two roommates) and the parking is just on the street, so no parking fees. Also look for individual apartments versus relying solely on names of apartment complexes. Plenty of places let you park on the street for free. In the city and parts of Arlington there are more parking restrictions but where I'm fixin' to move to there are none.

Personally I wouldn't get rid of my car to save money. But my car is paid for so the only thing I worry about is insurance and gas. I figure I'd maybe save $100 a month since money spent on gas would be spent on bus and metro rides. Especially in VA the money you save by not having a car will be spent on increased rent because you'll pay more to live near the metro. Also DC has really high public transportation cost so you'll easily spend $200 a month to get to work at more expensive rush hour, unless your job pays for your metro, which you should def look into.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I think it depends on stuff like lifestyle and whether or not your car is paid for as well. Most people I know who get rid of their cars once they're in the city pay a lot of money to live in a convenient location so they didn't save anything but they hate driving so much its worth it. I'm the opposite and like to be in control and hate walking in this cold weather (taking a walk in DC in the summer on the other hand, is life affirming). I'm moving to a spot in south Arlington (with two roommates) and the parking is just on the street, so no parking fees. Also look for individual apartments versus relying solely on names of apartment complexes. Plenty of places let you park on the street for free. In the city and parts of Arlington there are more parking restrictions but where I'm fixin' to move to there are none.

Personally I wouldn't get rid of my car to save money. But my car is paid for so the only thing I worry about is insurance and gas. I figure I'd maybe save $100 a month since money spent on gas would be spent on bus and metro rides. Especially in VA the money you save by not having a car will be spent on increased rent because you'll pay more to live near the metro. Also DC has really high public transportation cost so you'll easily spend $200 a month to get to work at more expensive rush hour, unless your job pays for your metro, which you should def look into.
Hello Terrence,

Yes, my car is paid for and its older. So, it's requiring more maintenance. And at my age, I'm sorry but since I can't afford to buy a new home, I'd like to live in a "newer" apt. as a compromise, so I I just thought that if I got rid of the car, no more gas expenses, no more insurance, no more maintenance, no zone permits, no license plates and stickers. And if I just get the serious itch to drive, then I can rent a car, which is what I plan to do when I come home to visit for holidays. Living here in Detroit, I'd never in a million years get rid of my ride, ever, ever, ever and I may even change my mind cause the freedom to come and go is nice, but being stuck in traffic, sucks and paying a parking fee for a car I don't even use (cause I'll be using the metro) NOT HOT.

I'll see how I feel about it. I'm a hard core Detroiter, so it may be too painful anyway. (I'm not kidding, we spend our childhoods talking about the day we can buy a car, hahhahahaha)

Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
My car is paid for but maintenance isn't costing me so much just yet. Then again I've kinda learned to just let certain things go as long as it runs. It's an SUV so the main thing is of course gas but once I move closer to work that won't be an issue. I guess what I'm saying is that in the DC area public transportation is more expensive than other cities and living near the metro is expensive so while there are cost savings I honestly don't think its worth it, for me it's about $100 if not less. But really and truly maybe you've seen some good deals that I haven't so do a side by side comparison. Also recommend living in the District versus anywhere in VA.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
So far I've found, Senate Square (near Union Station) Park place at metro station (its next to a Target, dare to dream)

I am not sure if I am missing something, but the closest Target is about 3 miles away in Columbia Heights.

I know a few people who live in the building. It is really nice on the inside. They all seem to like the apartment. The only complaints I hear concern the neighborhood.

It's on an up and coming street "H STREET", with a little nightlife district having sprung up about a mile down the street. Despite the new bars, the area still lacks much in the way of everyday retail/amenities. Plus, the area can be a little sketchy/empty at night and crime is an issue. That being said, some people really like it. I guess it is a matter of person preference.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I am not sure if I am missing something, but the closest Target is about 3 miles away in Columbia Heights.

I know a few people who live in the building. It is really nice on the inside. They all seem to like the apartment. The only complaints I hear concern the neighborhood.

It's on an up and coming street "H STREET", with a little nightlife district having sprung up about a mile down the street. Despite the new bars, the area still lacks much in the way of everyday retail/amenities. Plus, the area can be a little sketchy/empty at night and crime is an issue. That being said, some people really like it. I guess it is a matter of person preference.
The advertisement for the apartment says that the Target is inside of the Petworth Station. I don't know if it is, but if it is, I wanna live there. (This is Park Place I'm talking about, not Senate Square)

I do understand the issues. There are neighborhoods in Detroit where there were all these beautiful new houses built, but they sit empty because the area is not up to par yet and it lacks amenities. So who's gonna buy this great place on a dead block. But hey, everyone is having great rental specials so I'm definitely keeping my options open. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM

18 posts, read 46,916 times
Park Place is at Petworth Station on Georgia Avenue. It's an awesome building and the units look great but there's no Target there that I know of and the promised retail hasn't come in yet. It is literally right next to the metro though and I think they're still offering 2 months free on alot of units.

Great rooftop lounge area by the way.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM

136 posts, read 578,619 times
The Target is above the Columbia Heights Metro Station, which is the next stop South of Georgia/Ave. Petworth. It is probably a 15 minute walk to the Target from Park Place (if that).

I live in Petworth and really like it. You would definitely not need a car if you live in Park Place. You would be right on 2-3 bus lines. The Metro stop is underneath Park Place. The Safeway is about 1 block up and the Yes Organic Market is about 3 blocks up. There are new restaurants coming in all around there and you are very close to all the happenings in Columbia Heights and 3 minute metro ride to U street.

You should check out Prince of Petworth. It will give you a lot of information about the Petworth and the surrounding neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC