U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM

16,215 posts, read 39,593,216 times

Advertisements

Regarding JOBS. Particularly government, government-related, political-related, NGO-work, etc...and everything connected to that entire sphere...

Where are most of the jobs actually at? Would you generally be working right in DC...or are they often found out in MD or VA as well?

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm considering the DC area...I have two MA degrees, and one is conflict/peace/development...so DC is a great place for to apply that knowledge. But having a family, i.e. a need for a bit more than just a studio for myself. I am thinking of somewhere 'out there'..maybe Frederick MD or somewhere.

But would the commute kill me if almost all the jobs are actually in DC itself...are there are also opportunity/workplaces in the outer beltway of VA/MD with a bit easier commute (if I were to follow through on this DC/Frederick idea).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,647,713 times
The DC area is huge so you'd need to get a job first then worry about where to live in my opinion. There are job centers in downtown DC but a lot contractors and agencies have offices in Rosslyn, Ballston, Crystal City, Tysons Corner, and Reston and that's just places where offices are highly concentrated you could have a job really anywhere. At the same time there are a lot of jobs closer in and we have some of the longest commutes in the country because of the high cost of living. Frederick to DC on 270 everyday sounds awful. At the same time I just moved to a smaller place in south Arlington because of the commute but if I had little ones would have stayed further out.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 AM

446 posts, read 1,555,325 times
You might want to look at local universities offering MA degrees in what you have and see where their graduates are working. Also, contact your university and see where your classmates are working.

This move needs research, as I'm sure you know. Frederick to DC is way too far - especially for someone with a family. Check Arlington, Alexandria and close-in areas of Montgomery and Fairfax counties. It is almost always easier to drive out into the suburbs for a job from an inner suburb, so you can't go wrong living as close as possible to DC and then working anywhere from there.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 4,830,790 times
Job first, house second.

Really, the DC area is quite quite huge. Even if you were working Washington DC proper many of us would steer you differently depending on whether you worked on Capitol Hill or worked in Georgetown as crossing town can take quite some time during rush hour.

Most of the political jobs are focused in the city itself and the close-in suburbs (i.e. just over the District line or Inside the Beltway) but if you are going for something 'peace' related I would imagine you'll have a smaller pool of potential employers and can look up their locations directly.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM

605 posts, read 2,055,389 times
The government itself has offices all over the area. You'll find branches of various agencies in Rockville, MD and various northern VA suburbs. Contractors too are scattered. Certainly the greatest concentration is in northern VA along the major highways. Think tanks, NGOs, and major associations tend to be in the center of DC, however.

Frederick is really out there. Some people do commute in to DC, but it's about a 90 minute trip each way, assuming use of commuter buses or trains. Such public transportation is also designed to shuttle folks into the close-in MD burbs or central DC, not into the NOVA suburbs. The daily expense and frustration of such a commute can not be understated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC