U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 AM

161 posts, read 652,224 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are thinking about renting a 1 bedroom in the Navy Yard neighborhood and we just wanted to get some opinions on the neighborhood. We're not really into the bar scene and building amenities (pool, exercise room, parking, etc) matter more than location (we don't need to live in Dupont to have everything at our fingertips). With that being said, we are concerned about safety and liveliness of the neighborhood (we don't want to be the only people walking around at night, but we also don't need thousands of drunken 22 year olds filing out of bars).

So what is everyone's thoughts on the neighborhood? Are there any particular buildings you recommend looking at or staying away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,611,168 times
its still a re-developing area. its practically nothing down there. but you do have the baseball stadium, a metro/subway station, a CVS, a starbucks, and a few other stores. not really sure but the area is pretty boring at the moment. once all of the construction is complete around
Half street SE it should look like this:
www.halfstreet.com | Half Street | Half Street Condominiums | Ballpark District

but for now its nothing in the Navy Yard, but Eastern Market is close by and within Walking Distance.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:19 PM

51 posts, read 107,986 times
I think it is relatively safe, but like mentioned earlier, it is under re-development.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

161 posts, read 652,224 times
Any other thoughts on the neighborhood, particularly concerned with safety?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM

3,301 posts, read 10,826,730 times
I don't think there's many safety issues, it's just quiet and not a whole lot there just yet (I live right across South Capitol in SW, if that counts for anything). I think they're going to be building a grocery store there sometime in the near future (Harris Teeter?), there's a sandwich shop (Cornercopia), a cafe will open up soon (Justin's), and then there's a couple of places on 8th Street. Other than that it's mostly lunch places and office/condo buildings.

You might find this blog interesting. It's mostly on the redevelopment of the area, but also has a crime news feed, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC