U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this, so bear with me.

I live in NYC. I <3 NYC. But I'm a 20 something Latina looking to relocate. I have friends in the DMV area, and though I've gotten mixed reviews, they are positive for the most part in terms of job opportunities, cultural opportunities, diversity, nightlife, etc. Now, one of the reasons I'm looking for a change is because my love life needs a facelift...lol

So let's talk D.C. MEN. I've read some alarming male to female ratios (I kid), so I'd like to hear from you...What's your opinion of the dating scene in D.C.?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM

39 posts, read 229,805 times
I'd like to know as well. I'm a 20something African American from NYC, who may be moving to the DC metro area this summer. I have a few friends in DMV and honestly they say the same thing about DC men as I do about NY men...lol...perhaps the dating pools and situations are similar?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,980,754 times
If your looking for true love...well good luck...this is a career town with people always in transit...I always got the feeling that you date people in dc for career moves and power...my personal observation...

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM

3,547 posts, read 8,125,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
I always got the feeling that you date people in dc for career moves and power...my personal observation...
Someone forgot to tell me, I suppose. I met by (future) wife within three months of moving here.

And DC's not as transient a place as some people like to think it is. DC Mythbusting: No One is From DC » We Love DC

Old 02-03-2010, 08:07 PM

11,142 posts, read 14,981,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Someone forgot to tell me, I suppose. I met by (future) wife within three months of moving here.

And DC's not as transient a place as some people like to think it is. DC Mythbusting: No One is From DC » We Love DC
Interesting assessment, but I think when people say DC's a transient city they're talking about the middle / upper middle professional class, which fully lives up to the reputation of moving in and out a lot. It's like when people say New York is a cosmopolitan city, they're basically talking about the lower half of Manhattan. Most of New York's citizens are about as worldly as Nebraska.

To the OP - I've never heard of anyone moving to DC to find love. That's a bit of a gamble, but it's a city like any other at the end of the day. The knock on DC is it's career driven, but the flip side of that is that people are really passionate about something - whether it's a political ideology or a cause or whatever. A lot of really interesting conversations that won't revolve around sports and American Idol.

Either you'll love that or think it's pretentious beyond belief. Either way, go with your heart. Finding love doesn't operate on a median curve.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,761,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
but I think when people say DC's a transient city they're talking about the middle / upper middle professional class
exactly!

and I would like to add that this maybe be related to ethnicity and race somewhat. I'm black myself and most of the AA's living in DC have generations in this area. My family has been here since the late 50's while a lot of others I know have been here since slavery. But granted a big part of this because the DC gov't has never really racially discriminated because this city has always had a large AA population like wise lower income household tend to stay in the same area more so then people who have more money and careers that require them to be a nomad

But there a lot of people of other races that are DC natives or have generation after generation ties in DC or the suburbs.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 PM

3,547 posts, read 8,125,157 times
Hmmm, well exceptions to every rule I suppose. My wife is a caucasian, third generation Washingtonian, if you can believe it.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,980,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

congratulations....

Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 AM

446 posts, read 1,567,519 times
Hello--

First, welcome. I'm just going to give my observations most relevant to your post.

You will see LOTS of diversity here in almost anywhere you move. I think what you'll find less here is the concentrated neighborhoods of Caucasian denominations (if that's such a word) like the Polish, Irish and Italian neighborhoods. But there are TONS of Latinos here and I'm sure you will have no problem fitting in. There are Spanish radio stations, restaurants, cultural activities. I imagine nightclubs too....Google that and see.

Yes, DC is a very career-driven city. Many, but certainly not all, people would love to come up to you and let you know how important they are, how much they make, etc. But I imagine you see that in NY too.

I'm a guy so I don't know what kind of dating experiences women have. But I think if you connect with other like-minded people through community activities, church, nightlife, etc., you'll find someone to date.

The one thing I do want to emphasize from my observation is the work hard/play hard mentality here. Depending on the social group you are with at the time, you may find that when you go out people are specific about where to go, what to drink, etc. That may not be specific to here and I may not be making myself clear lol....but people expect to work hard and have good fun too.

Hope this helps. Whenever you want to go back to NYC, don't forget the cheap Chinatown buses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>