Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,698 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
It's been awhile since I've been on here. I'm going to be moving soon and am desperately trying to get out of NoVa. However, in doing my budgeting I'm having a hard time figuring out what my take home pay will be living in the district on my 45k salary. For those that like to think about it monthly, that's 3750/month. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 04:04 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,702 times
you're going to have to give more info than that. If someone wants to put the effort in they could figure out after tax pay, but we've got no idea if you're paying anything for insurance, putting money in a 401k, putting money in a flex-spending account, etc.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,702 times
FWIW, filing singly with 1 allowance and nothing else you'll be taking home $2802 / month. Go here and use the calculator if you want any additional info. Google is your friend PaycheckCity.com | Paycheck Calculator

Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
I typically liberally estimate that 30% of my salary is going to go towards taxes, deductions and so forth. That my be a bit high, but it would put you at around $2600 a month. That's very generalized and does not take into account a number of possible situations that you may be in, but it may work as a starting point.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
I can look at my stuff and give you my info. I make $44k/year so it would be similar. However, I lose a lot more than you do. I have union dues and a TON of insurance. I have extra health insurance, life insurance, and accident insurance since I'm a fireman and it's a high risk job. Already spent a few nights in the hospital this year. haha I also have an extra deferred comp plan. After it's all said and done I bring home about 1150/paycheck so about 2,300/month. I'll look everything up later and figure out what it was before all of that.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,698 times
You guys are always so helpful .
From what I've figured, and with my situation (single female w/ no dependents) it should be right around $2600/month.
ffknight918, that's a lot in insurance! Thankfully teaching isn't that dangerous.
It looks like my roommate and I will be able to afford a place we found in the SW Waterfront. While not as busy a neighborhood as I would like, I don't think we can beat the amount of bang for our buck we'll get there in any other DC neighborhood. Any thoughts on the Riverside Condos (the place we're looking at)?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Looking back in my bank account, I took home about $2450 a month when I first made my GS-9 in 2008 ($48k). However, I had more taxes taken out than I should have (some typo on my W-2) and that's also less my health insurance, life insurance, vision/dental, and TSP (retirement) contributions. Without pulling up my actual pay stub, it's hard to say how you'd compare.

As for Riverside, I don't know that exact building, but I love living in the neighborhood. It is quiet, but I kind of like that. When it gets warmer definitely check out Cantina Marina. It's about 2 blocks from Riverside and is one of my favorite bars in the city (makes me feel like I'm at the beach). If you're on Facebook it might also be worth your while to look up and "friend" the Capitol Skyline Hotel. They have a lot of interesting events that are good to know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC