U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM

5,103 posts, read 9,019,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Well that is your opinion, if I misinterpreted it, I can't be blamed, since UDC is our state university. You seem giddy about the mallification and gentrificaton of DC, and eager to blame the underserved, oppressed communities for their own failures. Why?
You need to go back and read Bluefly's old posts. He called Boston "provincial" and the area around MIT and Harvard "pretentious." Not exactly words of high praise.

Whatever else he meant, it wasn't intended as a put down of DC, or of UDC in particular.

Personally, if only the weather were warmer in Boston, I'd rather live in the Back Bay of Boston than any neighborhood in DC, but that's just because I like the architecture there better, and the commercial strips blow away anything in DC. But I have frequently heard people call it less "comsopolitan" in the literal sense than DC - more people who grew up there stay or return there, with newcomers received less cordially.

Last edited by JD984; 09-18-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,424,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You need to go back and read Bluefly's old posts. He called Boston "provincial" and the area around MIT and Harvard "pretentious." Not exactly words of high praise.

Whatever else he meant, it wasn't intended as a put down of DC, or of UDC in particular.

Personally, if only the weather were warmer in Boston, I'd rather live in the Back Bay of Boston than any neighborhood in DC, but that's just because I like the architecture there better, and the commercial strips blow away anything in DC. But I have frequently heard people call it less "comsopolitan" in the literal sense than DC - more people who grew up there stay or return there, with newcomers received less cordially.
Thank you, Jeb. That was very honorable of you.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM

260 posts, read 979,716 times
I wouldn't do it. I moved from B. to DC 20 years ago and regret it, although I've had a decent federal career here.
To me the pros of DC compared with Boston -- federal jobs and related contractor jobs (although with the recession, like everywhere else, it is harder); I have met more people from around the U.S. and world; better public transit system.
Cons of DC -- GROSS heat and humidity for most of about May through September; harder and much more crowded to try to get to real mountains or the ocean, and not many lakes; miss the more historic and interesting architecture and neighborhoods; not as strong a "local" sense, to me anyway, such as local food, local sports teams, even local accents, etc. Also, all the superb colleges and other schools around Boston set a unique standard.
Both, however, are VERY expensive and frustrating for housing. As a single person, I've had roommates or tiny studios much later into life than I ever wanted, and even so I have had to still pay a TON.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM

29,748 posts, read 28,318,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
not as strong a "local" sense, to me anyway, such as local food, local sports teams, even local accents, etc.
You should hang out at any barbershop on Georgia Avenue and see if that changes your mind.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,834,523 times
Quote:
harder and much more crowded to try to get to real mountains or the ocean

Harder? Drive an hour out 66 east to Route 29, and head towards the Shenandoah to get to this:

Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,698,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just read pretty much all of the DC vs Boston threads on our forum. This seems to be a constant theme.

However, MASS has TONS and TONS of Brazilians, Cambodians, Haitians, etc. Seemingly much more than DC anyways.

However, maybe they aren't in Boston itself? Or despite large numbers, there presense doesn't seem to have visibility or something? I am unsure, anyone want to clarify that a bit who might know....?
Tiger, i think you're overlooking the obvious. DC has embassies of nearly every country headquartered there. As a result you can pretty much find anyone from anywhere at any given time living and working in dc. that's the one thing that i love about dc is the diversity. boston proper, does not offer anything remotely close to that. perhaps some of the peripheral towns do but not boston itself.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,698,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

Harder? Drive an hour out 66 east to Route 29, and head towards the Shenandoah to get to this:
lol you beat me to it...hell, you can go a little past frederick, md and get real mountains...drive less than hour east to sandy point and your at the beach or hell, head on down to calvert or st. mary's and you're surrounded by nothing but water. i swear some people just love to complain! and he's been here for 20 years???

Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM

656 posts, read 570,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

I thought Bluefly was a she.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM

656 posts, read 570,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
Tiger, i think you're overlooking the obvious. DC has embassies of nearly every country headquartered there. As a result you can pretty much find anyone from anywhere at any given time living and working in dc. that's the one thing that i love about dc is the diversity. boston proper, does not offer anything remotely close to that. perhaps some of the peripheral towns do but not boston itself.
What difference does it make anyway? You might visit the Haitian neighborhood one time for half an hour but are you really going to be spending your free time immersing yourself with Mongolian, Cambodian immigrants who may not be able to understand English? Um no. All your time will be spent in the rat race like everyone else, try to afford the cost of DC, among people very similar to you unless you are a social worker, work at the embassy, or have some other unusual job.

Last edited by jujulu; 09-21-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 AM

325 posts, read 839,464 times
Quote:
I wouldn't do it. I moved from B. to DC 20 years ago and regret it, although I've had a decent federal career here.
To me the pros of DC compared with Boston -- federal jobs and related contractor jobs (although with the recession, like everywhere else, it is harder); I have met more people from around the U.S. and world; better public transit system.
Cons of DC -- GROSS heat and humidity for most of about May through September; harder and much more crowded to try to get to real mountains or the ocean, and not many lakes; miss the more historic and interesting architecture and neighborhoods; not as strong a "local" sense, to me anyway, such as local food, local sports teams, even local accents, etc. Also, all the superb colleges and other schools around Boston set a unique standard.
Both, however, are VERY expensive and frustrating for housing. As a single person, I've had roommates or tiny studios much later into life than I ever wanted, and even so I have had to still pay a TON.
I agree with this post. Boston's got its own culture and history, whereas DC was kind of drawn on a map arbitrarily when they were deciding where to establish the capital, to compromise between the North and the South.

Another thing is that Boston has more liberals, whereas the DC area has more of a Southern Republican vibe starting at the VA line. People are equally unfriendly, but the food is better in Boston, due to lots of Italians living there. The demographic makeup is entirely different between Boston and DC. DC has a primarily non-European population, while Boston is the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC