U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,389,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I agree with this post. Boston's got its own culture and history, whereas DC was kind of drawn on a map arbitrarily when they were deciding where to establish the capital, to compromise between the North and the South.

Another thing is that Boston has more liberals, whereas the DC area has more of a Southern Republican vibe starting at the VA line. People are equally unfriendly, but the food is better in Boston, due to lots of Italians living there. The demographic makeup is entirely different between Boston and DC. DC has a primarily non-European population, while Boston is the opposite.
I disagree. Northern Virginia has gotten more left leaning over the years. The southern Republican vibe does NOT start at the VA line. I would say that it starts somewhere in Prince William and Loudoun counties but places like Arlington and Alexandria are very left leaning. Fairfax is a good mixture but I do believe that it went blue during the last election.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM

3,547 posts, read 7,840,759 times
Much of Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax is more left-leaning than many DC neighborhoods in wards 5, 7 and 8, even though they all vote Democratic.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:57 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,512,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Another thing is that Boston has more liberals, whereas the DC area has more of a Southern Republican vibe starting at the VA line.
You have got to be kidding. I am not even sure you could argue that a single county in NOVA is "solidly Republican" until you get to the far outskirts of the DC metro area. Even PWC and Loudoun had a majority for Obama! And Arlington and Alexandria don't even have a single Republican elected to public office with maybe one or two exceptions. And this is an area you are defining as having a "Southern Republican vibe?"

Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,400,595 times
For someone moving from Boston, the military/contractor presence might be a bit surprising. You've got to admit that guys in camo aren't often seen on most American subways. I mentioned in another thread that I thought Alexandria had a lot of military people, and while some here disagreed it certainly still seems that way to me. Post-BRAC, it's surrounded by many thousands of military jobs on all four sides (Pentagon, Belvoir, Bolling/McNair, Mark Center), so certainly many military employees might live there or pass through there.

Obama may have carried many Northern Virginia counties, but there are still plenty of Republicans around -- including a great many nationally prominent politicians, since the Rs don't like living in higher-tax, nanny-state DC or Maryland -- and many are quite conservative.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 PM

16,084 posts, read 38,054,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
For someone moving from Boston, the military/contractor presence might be a bit surprising. You've got to admit that guys in camo aren't often seen on most American subways. I mentioned in another thread that I thought Alexandria had a lot of military people, and while some here disagreed it certainly still seems that way to me. Post-BRAC, it's surrounded by many thousands of military jobs on all four sides (Pentagon, Belvoir, Bolling/McNair, Mark Center), so certainly many military employees might live there or pass through there.
BRAC is expanding, or so I've heard. In Springfield, right? Or somewhere between Woodbridge and Springfield? Not sure if my facts are right though. But, I suppose it would directly effect that entire area of Alexandria, Woodbridge, Springfield, etc.

Does that lessen up as you get into Annandale, Burke, etc.?

--------

As to the discussion, metro DC seems interesting on most fronts. Jobs, international elements, comparitive weather, etc.

Boston seems interesting in that New England was built before the car centric era. So, you'd have more options of pedestrian convenience in non-expensive areas. That is attractive. Plus they are doing something right with healthcare. Than there is the entire Ireland-Boston connection that is appealing on some levels to a guy like me with some distant Irish roots.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 PM

969 posts, read 2,054,147 times
I miss Boston I miss the snow, I miss the T, I miss the little town big city feel I miss Fenway park, chilling @ Park street, the freedom trail the witches of Salem watertown pizza Moved to DC in 04 and yeh DC is more diverse but I will always be a Boston gal

Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 AM

656 posts, read 571,374 times
The T is more reliable system than Metro. That's the one thing I miss about Boston

Last edited by jujulu; 09-22-2011 at 06:04 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM

20,133 posts, read 21,651,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
I miss Boston I miss the snow, I miss the T, I miss the little town big city feel I miss Fenway park, chilling @ Park street, the freedom trail the witches of Salem watertown pizza Moved to DC in 04 and yeh DC is more diverse but I will always be a Boston gal
You can always visit. :-)

Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 AM

656 posts, read 571,374 times
The problem with boston is that it's geared towards WASPs and people with money. There's a hierarchy there.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 AM

16,084 posts, read 38,054,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
The problem with boston is that it's geared towards WASPs and people with money. There's a hierarchy there.
WASPs are white anglo-saxon protestants.

Boston is mostly Irish Catholic...which are very working class.

That being said, there is an elitism with the Ivy League schools that do attract the country's elite and whatnot. So the education levels probably are very WASPs from elsewhere, as well as every other ethnicity and their most educated, etc.

From what I know, there is a distinct 'townie/local' provincial element, and a strong 'student/intellectual/wealth' divide...

In some ways, sounds like DC...but instead of local long-term blacks, you have Irish in that role. Sounds like Southie (or South Boston) has already become gentrified, pushing what was solidly Irish into cheaper suburbs.

Same things occurring to blacks in DC, but to poorer working-class Irish in Boston...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC