Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 PM

34 posts, read 369,401 times

Advertisements

I have one cousin seriously considering moving from Spartanburg, SC. to DC.
My question is will he be able to stay anywhere in the city or suburbs for under $500 a month. Living down south is cheap and he is a E-3 in the National Guard.

Is there any hope for him to find similar rent in D.C. or the burbs?

Can you list some people you know that are looking for someone to share rooms with them?

His current rent is currently $200 a month in Spartanburg but he's looking to experience life in the big city!

He really wants to live in the city but if its necessary he will go to the suburbs...

Thank you all for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I don't think $500 would even be enough in the rough parts of the city. Suburbs are also highly unlikely unless he moves to the 'exurbs' (basically the furthest away suburbs).

Do Guardsmen get BAH?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 PM

34 posts, read 369,401 times
Yea i think he does receive a BAH for housing. but I was telling him its highly expensive up here he said he's making around $2000 a month..... So im not sure wat $2000 a month will get him

Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
$2000 a month will not get him much at all. There are 1 bed apartments that run that much.

If he gets BAH that would be a great help to him. Although $2000/mo not going toward housing will still be very tight, especially if he lives out in suburbia and has to drive everywhere.

I don't know what your cousin does for a living, but if he's serious about living comfortably in this area he'll need to make sure that he has a secure job that pays decently before coming here. It's an unfortunate reality that this area isn't very middle class-friendly for the most part.

edit: IDK how he'd feel about it, but depending on his income he can probably qualify for federal and state assistance programs.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Without seeking subsidized housing, there are no options within the Metro area for $500/month. You could be willing to commute 90 minutes and still have trouble finding housing of any sort at that price. The closest you will be able to come to $500 is by sharing housing with a roommate. Even then, you'd have to live outside DC in the 'burbs. My best advice would be to start searching Craigslist to see what's realistic.

The median income in DC in 2008 was $58k. In Montgomery County, MD the closest MD county to the downtown DC business district, the median income was about $94k. In Fairfax County, VA, one of the VA counties that borders the city, the median income was $107,000. Even if you can find a way to live very, very frugally, you will likely not be happy in this area living on one fifth to one half of the median income level. He'll hardly have enough money to pay for transportation, let alone "experiencing" the city.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM

207 posts, read 537,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit4Life View Post
I have one cousin seriously considering moving from Spartanburg, SC. to DC.
My question is will he be able to stay anywhere in the city or suburbs for under $500 a month. Living down south is cheap and he is a E-3 in the National Guard.

Is there any hope for him to find similar rent in D.C. or the burbs?

Can you list some people you know that are looking for someone to share rooms with them?

His current rent is currently $200 a month in Spartanburg but he's looking to experience life in the big city!

He really wants to live in the city but if its necessary he will go to the suburbs...

Thank you all for the help.

Even receiving federal assistance, he needs to re adjust his thinking period. Its more expensive to live east. Coming from Detroit myself, I had to do it.

Its tough because what I would pay for luxury here is RANK in DC. And the same goes for the south. So you need to triple that 500 and that's for a studio.

500 a month will get a room in someone's home but not a place on his own. And if you want to cheaper than that the suburbs is your best bet. Its not that much cheaper, its just more space for the same price.

Please tell him to do his research THOROUGHLY!! Is he driving in DC, taking public transportation, what about utilities, extras???

Just saying, he needs to make a budget and begin to get his mind ready for the same quality AT MUCH HIGHER PRICES.

Sorry, this is not a put down to DC. But what you have to offer is the same as any place, you just pay a higher premium for it. That's all.

Peace out.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
his cost of living as an E-3 would be adjusted for living up here I would think if he's in the military, but he would still of course be paying a heck of a lot more.

everyone has said everything that already needs to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC