Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a ballpark idea of what it would cost me to live on my own. I know rent's gonna be pretty bad no matter what.

I'd appreciate if you used this template

# of people in household:
Monthly grocery expenses:
Monthly gas / Metro expenses (or both):
Monthly natural gas expenses:
Monthly electricity expenses:
Monthly water expenses:
Monthly internet expenses:
Miscellaneous expenses (savings, insurance, etc):

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 05:24 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
My household used to spend $10k a month but we reduced it to $6k

Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
My household used to spend $10k a month but we reduced it to $6k
My god. At least the 'we' is comforting... how big is your household?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 PM

306 posts, read 701,662 times
I'd be interested in hearing this as well. I told my new roommates I wanted to save $1000 a month and they laughed at me. They said that's only possible if I have no life, and well, if I don't make any friends (it's been a week here so far) then I will be well on my way. I figure: $775 for rent. Another $100 for utilities and cell phone. Another $500 every month on food. Then $600 on student loans. Metro and health insurance are covered by work. I make $3000 a month.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 AM

311 posts, read 844,100 times
# of people in household:1

Monthly grocery expenses:$150-200...I try to eat basic things though, never go out to eat but do spend on cheap fast food, no extravagant things i used to cook like salmon, shrimp and steak which I haven't eaten in MONTHS *sigh*...forget about fresh veggies and fruit ESP organic foods unless I want to splurge lol...again haven't eaten organic since being laid off

Monthly gas / Metro expenses (or both): metro/bus-20-25 bucks a week(I'm near the center of DC though and try to use the bus as much as possible even if it's a long bus ride to MD/VA for interviews

Monthly natural gas expenses:$60 a month...and right now $40 bucks a month using no AC this spring for the past month

Monthly electricity expenses: $50-$80...turning off as much as possible when not in use including microwave...but at least i'm helping the environment

Monthly water expenses: Landlord pays this so I don't know

Monthly internet expenses: Internet and phone $80 and directtv cable $40 with barely any channels since I had to cancel most of my other channels due to price

Miscellaneous expenses (savings, insurance, etc): I can't afford to spend on anything else...including health insurance and live check to check on my unemployment...i do have a $40 cell phone bill though and $50 a month in student loan payment and about $65 in credit card payments (thank god i never took out major loans in college)

Rent: $1050 a month (a financial gem in this city)

as you can see I'm spending about $1700 a month barely making it and living as basic as possible with no social life besides seeing movies at home with friends who drop by...seeing a movie at a theater last month was an extreme treat for me lol

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Wow. Evidently it would be very difficult to live on my own with my projected monthly earnings (unless I get my best theoretical wage, which probably wouldn't happen).

So it seems the biggest things are groceries and rent... I supposed one could really cut back on the grocery expenses living off of ramen... but I can't imagine that's good for you.

I think the worst thing about this area is that even the farther-out suburbs like Springfield or Gaithersburg are still very expensive.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 61,292 times
hey...it will probably cost you $200 on utilities...unless your apartment includes gas and water. electricity for my 2 bd is about $60 a week and I'm rarely home. Cable/internet is too much, for me it's $130 through comcast but I have a lot of the options, I would think you can get basic cable/internet for less than $80. best of luck!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:00 AM

I'd be skipping on the cable TV. Most of the shows I watch are on Fox and NBC so I can get them OTA for free, and in HD at that!

I can imagine apartments that include utilities would cost more than ones that don't, right?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:43 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
# of people in household: 1 (I'll list my half of the expenses)
Monthly grocery expenses: ~$150
Monthly gas / Metro expenses (or both): gas-$35, I get $66/month for Metro from work, which more than covers any Metro expenses I have
Monthly natural gas expenses: $0 (paid by my landlord since it's only for the stove)
Monthly electricity expenses: usually around $50 total, but ranges from $45-60 (so my part is $23-30). This is for a 2-bedroom townhouse.
Monthly water expenses: included in our rent/owner's condo fees
Monthly internet expenses: $130 total for phone, internet, and satellite TV (so $65 for my half)
Miscellaneous expenses (savings, insurance, etc): I pay $150/month for parking, set $400/month aside in savings accounts, and pay about $300 for car insurance every 6 months

Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 61,292 times
not necessarily...some independent landlords that rent out their condos have condo fees that include water/gas, but the condo fees are factored into your rent anyway. I rented from a management company and I swear I will never live in/recommend them again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC