Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

I've got a undergrad in political science. In two years I'll have my masters. I'm thinking about maybe moving to D.C. Obviously there's governments jobs and it can be somewhat expensive but I'm not sure how it compares to the boston area.

A friend of mine was telling me about civilian contractor jobs for the DoD being nice.

Does it seem at least for governmental jobs to be a good market in dc ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
12 percent unemployment in D.C. Northern Virginia has better employment. If you are going to apply for a Federal job, be patient.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
What are you taking in Grad School? There are jobs here but plenty of Comp. Liberal Arts graduates are catching hell.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
If you are looking for fed jobs start applying for positions on USAjobs.gov now because it is a lengthy process... Also you can look into internships to get your foot in the door through school.

DoD contracting is not the panecea, but then being a fed isn't always either, they both have their pro and con...

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Everybody and their brother has an undergrad degree in Political Science. And most people here collect graduate degrees like they are candy. Be prepared for steep competition.

Especially for federal jobs and government contractor jobs.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 PM

35 posts, read 104,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I've got a undergrad in political science. In two years I'll have my masters. I'm thinking about maybe moving to D.C. Obviously there's governments jobs and it can be somewhat expensive but I'm not sure how it compares to the boston area.

A friend of mine was telling me about civilian contractor jobs for the DoD being nice.

Does it seem at least for governmental jobs to be a good market in dc ?
If you are thinking about moving to DC, and you're in grad school, apply for the Presidential Management Fellowship, (PMF). It's a two year program. Upon successfully completing the program, you'll have a permanent federal GS-12/13 position. The GS 12/13 salary range is currently 74,800 - 100K+.

Just be sure to apply to the PMF program in your last year of grad school. The great thing about the PMF program is you can work for any federal agency, and the white house/congress... Also, certain agencies offer student loan repayment and performance bonuses each year...

Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
12 percent unemployment in D.C.
It isn't that high for individuals with a college degree.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM

190 posts, read 684,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It isn't that high for individuals with a college degree.
Agreed. It's because the unemployment rate in Wards 7 & 8 (east of the Anacostia river for those who are curious) are so high. I think I saw where Ward 8 had nearly 29 percent unemployment in late 2009. Most of the neighborhoods west of 16th St have about 3-5 percent unemployment (that's last year's numbers though).

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena2010 View Post
If you are thinking about moving to DC, and you're in grad school, apply for the Presidential Management Fellowship, (PMF). It's a two year program. Upon successfully completing the program, you'll have a permanent federal GS-12/13 position. The GS 12/13 salary range is currently 74,800 - 100K+.

Just be sure to apply to the PMF program in your last year of grad school. The great thing about the PMF program is you can work for any federal agency, and the white house/congress... Also, certain agencies offer student loan repayment and performance bonuses each year...
Well I have no loans or debt. Grad school really doesn't cost that much..but the PMF does seem interesting..

I know this is a general question but how are things physically looking? back in 2000 I was there for a mini weekend and found it to be a odd combo of huge beautiful Georgian mansions next to um what looked like run down houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC