U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
 
Location: South Portland, Maine
2,356 posts, read 5,395,368 times
Reputation: 1530

Advertisements

Hi, I used to live on Klingle road behind the zoo about 12 years ago before I moved to Maine. Still think about moving back to the area. What has changed the most since then....(besides the cost of realestate). Is there anyone out there thats been living in around dc for that long?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2007, 01:48 AM
 
1,465 posts, read 5,953,271 times
Reputation: 936
Mostly hispanic area now. Alot of central americans have moved in and made that area home. Pricing is incredible too... Been a lot of retail and independent business development in the region as well and its definitely one of the up and coming neighborhoods....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 02:56 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,552 posts, read 14,240,968 times
Reputation: 6444
I don't know about DC itself but the suburbs have changed dramatically. Remember when Germantown was a cut little town? Its now all filled with subdivisions and strip malls and its spreading north into Frederick County. PG County is even more ghetto than it used to be especially with illegal aliens everywhere. I do know Washington, D.C. is more gentrified and a lot safer than it used to be. DC is really cleaning up unlike Baltimore though most of Southeast and Northeast are still off-limits. I know people who are Marines and are afraid of going there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,552 posts, read 14,240,968 times
Reputation: 6444
Also DC is a lot more fast paced and stressful as transplants from NY and NJ continue to pour in. Its the same thing happening all ovr this country. Maryland used to have a lot of family restaurnats and all for example but as more people from New Jersey come in we're becoming more like New Jersey...all strip malls, chain restaurants, fast food, etc with the exception of ethnic restaurants which can be quite impressive but there's no longer a down-home place to eat American food, thanks to the New Jersey invasion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 PM
 
157 posts, read 750,753 times
Reputation: 69
Unfortunately, you have not seen much of NJ. Many of the desireable areas of NJ have thriving downtown areas. In fact in relocating from NJ to DC- I could not find an area in the DC metro area that has a thriving main street town, nice housing stock, and good schools. We are actually moving in NW DC- because it was the closest to this.

Before you slam NJ- get your facts straight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 07:34 PM
 
Location: South Portland, Maine
2,356 posts, read 5,395,368 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom8 View Post
Many of the desireable areas of NJ have thriving downtown areas. In fact in relocating from NJ to DC- I could not find an area in the DC metro area that has a thriving main street town, nice housing stock, and good schools.
Living in Maine and origionally from Mass I hear a lot of Mainers complain about Ma people or Ma in general. And I tell them the same thing. Ma had beautiful towns (cities by Maine standards) that had clean and bustling town centers with good schools and tree lines streets with old victorian homes. Va, Md is a county based system and i think thats why the whole area is laid out differently. Though I think that is a superior way of doing things you lose that small town feel. Even areas like occoquan do not compare so I can imagine NJ is the same with its town system of government.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,552 posts, read 14,240,968 times
Reputation: 6444
I'm surprised to hear about the small-town feeling in NJ of all places. My impression from going through there and from people who are from there is that its all suburban strip malls and completely domianted by fast food and chain restaurants while in the South and the Midwest you have these quirky little diners and quaint shops along Main Streets. Sorry about my bias but people from the North and California are always blamed for big box stores moving into town and for small towns losing their character. At least everywhere I've lived and traveled in Louisiana, Idaho, North Carolina, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Virginia, and Florida its the same sentiment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 11:59 PM
 
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 13,878,140 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I'm surprised to hear about the small-town feeling in NJ of all places. My impression from going through there and from people who are from there is that its all suburban strip malls and completely domianted by fast food and chain restaurants while in the South and the Midwest you have these quirky little diners and quaint shops along Main Streets.
I've lived in the North and the South and have traveled extensively and that's honestly the first I've ever heard anyone say that. The complete opposite is generally regarded to be true, with the North full of more traditional pedestrian-friendly downtowns (this is due to them being older and the dependence on streetcars and trains in the past) with independent stores and non-chain restaurants (though they exist too), whereas the Sunbelt has largely sprung up in recent years and is geared more towards the automobile, consumed by sprawl and new McMansion-filled subdivisions and endless strip malls; and while a generalization, I've found it's one that tends to be true.
Quote:
Sorry about my bias but people from the North and California are always blamed for big box stores moving into town and for small towns losing their character. At least everywhere I've lived and traveled in Louisiana, Idaho, North Carolina, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Virginia, and Florida its the same sentiment.
That is happening everywhere, including the far-flung suburbs of Northern cities (Edison, New Jersey anyone?). It is sprawl and I don't know why people in those states feel that Northerners and Californians bear sole responsibility for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 AM
 
Location: South Portland, Maine
2,356 posts, read 5,395,368 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I've lived in the North and the South and have traveled extensively and that's honestly the first I've ever heard anyone say that. The complete opposite is generally regarded to be true, with the North full of more traditional pedestrian-friendly downtowns (this is due to them being older and the dependence on streetcars and trains in the past) with independent stores and non-chain restaurants (though they exist too), whereas the Sunbelt has largely sprung up in recent years and is geared more towards the automobile, consumed by sprawl and new McMansion-filled subdivisions and endless strip malls; and while a generalization, I've found it's one that tends to be true.
Good explanation. When I first went to DC area I saw that it was laid out like grid work with major parkways that shoot streight from point a to point b. Coming from MA most roads sort of meander from one place to another curving through the hills and such from one town center to another. Of course with all the growth traffic is a nightmare now
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 01:42 PM
 
1,389 posts, read 6,040,660 times
Reputation: 299
Terrapin: What the is your problem? Why in all your post you always mention Pg county and no one ask about Pg county. What you need to do is visit Bowie,Upper Marlboro,CLinton,Brandywine,Accrokee,Fort Washington,Mitchellville,Largo,glendale area and you will see very wealthy blacks every where I mean old money. Not ever area in pg county is bad their are more good areas then bad in pg o****y. Its so sad that you are judging the entire county by racr and color. If you come to my commuinty ever house you aee is $1 million or more. So for you the call the entire county ghetts is 100% wrong. Washington Dc is way worst then Pg county when it comes to crimes and schools. I see you ignore that just because more whites are moving into Dc then Pg. I love pg county I know i have never experience any violence or know anyone in pg county that have experience an yviolence in Pg county now can we say the same about Washington Dc.
I love what pg have to offer I live my 5,500 square feet home and yes if you make less then $200k a year their is no way you can afford my community or home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top