U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,303 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of these threads but the responses seem rather specified to the amount the poster is willing to pay for rent and what they define as "safe." I'm interning this summer in D.C. on F St. NW and 13th Street. I would like to live somewhere convenient. Walking distance would be ideal but proximity to a metro would be great too. Safety is my main concern. I'm originally from NYC so I'm not terrified of homeless people but I would like a neighborhood where I could walk by myself at night (like the hours before 9PM) and/or to/fro the metro station without being scared. I'm only going to be staying for at most 2.5 months so I don't understand how rent would work out for that but I can spend up to $1300/month. I wouldn't mind having a roommate. Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,751,026 times
A lot also depends on lifestyle and whether or not you will be bringing your car with you. A car is an extra expense in DC for sure. But generally speaking I'm thinking you might be able to get a basement apartment in that price range.

Honestly $1300 is not out of the question but definitely towards the bottom of the rental market for DC. If you don't mind getting a roommate then that would be my advice. Honestly it will be easier to find a room for rent for just three months than an apartment where the usual lease is a year.

You could rent a room comfortably for like $900 or $1K and be living in a really nice spot. Maybe the area around 14th and U. Or perhaps Dupont Circle. Capitol Hill is nice and affordable. None of these places are walking distance to your job though.

Honestly that part of downtown is dead after business hours since its primarily commercial. Its not unsafe but i wouldn't want to live there if there was a vacancy simply because there aren't enough people around at night. Kinda of a in space no one can hear you scream kinda thing. But yeah if you take that same budget and get a roommate the city is yours but for a one bedroom $1300 just isnt' going to get you much and it won't be worth the trouble for just the summer in my opinion.

Either way, good luck!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,200,379 times
I'd look into sublets for a room in a house. It'd probably be among the easier options for finding a short-term rental and would fit into your budget. Like terrence81 suggested, Dupont Circle, U Street, and Capitol Hill are all nice areas. U Street is a little grittier, Capitol Hill is a little quieter. Logan Circle is also a nice area that you could look into. If you really want to walk, Logan Circle would probably be your best bet, though it's still a little far.

13th & F is basically a commercial area, so there's not a lot of places to live there (and the few that are available are expensive and likely not short-term). Metro Center is nearby, so you'd want to aim for the red, orange, or blue Metro lines to get to work.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,959,518 times
I work there, and there are some apartment buildings that are within walking distance up by the Mass Ave area, some aren't incredibly expensive if you get a studio, but since it's so short term, I don't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>