Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,734 times

Advertisements

hey everybody,

I am seeking advice to know it is possible to find a 3 bedroom apartment in a good DC neighborhood for around 2200 USD ?
From what i have seen on craigslit or sublet.com it seems kinda hard...
Does it get better once you're actually in DC to hunt for apartment (meaning are there good deals to find that are not listed on the internet)

Any comments on which neighborhood is much appreciated, provided that:

we are young mal in our mid 20's
one of us will be attending georgetown law while the 2 others will work from home,
we are not willing to live outside DC since we are not bringing any car...

In the perfect world we would love to live in Dupont / adams morgan / logan circle / chinatown / foggy bottom / penn quarter / west part of capitol hill...
Are we completely out of range rent wise ?

Any tips very much appreciated !

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 AM

any thoughts ?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
You may have to look a bit further or the inner ring suburbs (Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Hyattsville) if you want to live in a safe area with the amenities you just stated. You could possibly do Columbia Heights, Mt. Pleasant, Petworth, Takoma, Shaw, Ledroit Park, and Brookland but realize these places aren't as safe as the places you named in your post, but none of them are dangerous...IMO. Well to narrow it down to the safest and most convenient area would be Columbia Heights, but you would have to choose your apartment carefully, to give you can idea, on 14th street NW, from Irving Street to Meridian Place is a safe stretch. Anything North and South of that you gotta be on your P's and Q's at night. If would look at one of the new apartments/condos that are right on top of Columbia Heights Station or the ones that are a block north on Kenyon Street and Park Road.

Hope this helps out a little, I would've tried to find some info on the places you named but I have no doubt in my mind you'll be about to find a 3 bedroom for $2200 in any of those areas, a two bedroom maybe.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 PM

thanks a lot for the input !
i'll look into shaw which seems the best location out of the ones you mentioned for us. What's shaw like ? some nightlife and restaurants or purelly residential ?

How about we bump our rent range to 2500 $ - 2700 $, would that help getting a 3 bedroom in Dupont / adams morgan / logan circle / chinatown / foggy bottom / penn quarter / west part of capitol hill ?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 PM

65 posts, read 201,531 times
That's pushing it for a 3 bedroom in those areas. For a decent place with space, you're probably $1k a month short. For Cap Hill, try Yarmouth Management, Capitol Hill Rental Apartments, Washington DC. They *sometimes* have good listings, but it's mostly Hill "East".

Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
Safe, affordable, close; choose any two. $2500 to 2700 will get you a 3br in the Ballston corridor and Crystal City. From the areas you mentioned Ballston is probably a good fit for you. With both areas you'll have access to G-Town with the orange or blue lines; they run a shuttle bus from the Rosslyn metro.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM

61 posts, read 179,404 times
Shaw is a good area and you'll definitely find housing for 25-2700. Depends on where you live in Shaw but that's considered very close to the U Street area, probably a 10 minute walk from most areas.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:38 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Craigslist is a fairly accurate representation of the market. If anything, it sometimes skews a little low. Coming into town won't necessarily get you any deals.

You might also want to consider Cleveland Park and Woodley Park. Both are on the Metro (red line). The neighborhood is perfectly safe and completely beautiful. There are plenty of restaurants and a couple of cute neighborhood shops. The area isn't as exciting as Georgetown or Dupont, but it's still pretty nice. A lot of students rent out old homes in those neighborhoods. The only drawback is that some don't have A/C.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
Default Cleveland Park apartment

I was in the same situation a couple years ago moving from Colorado to DC. I ended up using Daro Realty, which has several nice apartment buildings in around Washington DC. I found a great apartment at Tilden Hall in the Cleveland Park area and have been living there since. I couldn't be more pleased. Here's a link to check out Daro Realty's [url]http://www.darorealty.com/tildenhall[/url]

Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Try looking in the SW Waterfront area of DC. I love the neighborhood, you can walk to Georgetown Law (I used to work across the street), and it tends to be a little cheaper than other neighborhoods of DC while still being safe and accessible. You could also look into the fringes around Capitol Hill. Some blocks are rougher than others, so if you find a place in particular you could just ask around here.

A lot of times it can be cheaper to go with a private rental, who often seem to advertise on CraigsList (watch out for scams) or just with signs in the window. For that reason, it might be a little easier once you're in the area. If you can't spend some time here beforehand, using a realtor can be helpful. In the past I've looked at Daro, Long & Foster, and McEnearney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC