Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM

113 posts, read 424,501 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My family and I are planing a week long vacation to Washington DC in late June. We are in the process of finding a hotel(want to keep it under $130/night) right now. I used to live in Dale City(moved from there back in 1976). I remember about the traffic going to Washington on 95(we have Super 8 movies of people playing frisbee from car to car during rush hour it moved so slow). What I was curious to know is how is parking at various Metro stations? We plan to use Metro to get around, and we'd like to get a hotel near Dulles(better ameneties and nicer looking area from what I can tell), but it would mean we need to drive to a Metro station to go see the sights. Do the lots at the stations fill up quickly? I'm not worried about geting a spot near the terminal(unless it's raining ) I just want to know that we will be able to park at a station. Are there other parking options near metro stations(public garages) if metro lots are full? Are there certain stations whose lots are always full and others that are easier to park in?

I really appreciate your input on this.... Guidebooks don't really know the "Real World" situations many times, so a local perspective would be GREATLY appreciated!!! In return, I'm willing to offer tips on going to South Florida(WPB/Fort Lauderdale/Miami) issues or Huntsville Alabama items you might have questions about....

Thanks guys....and gals!!!!
ToneyTiger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,210,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTiger View Post
Hi all!

My family and I are planing a week long vacation to Washington DC in late June. We are in the process of finding a hotel(want to keep it under $130/night) right now. I used to live in Dale City(moved from there back in 1976). I remember about the traffic going to Washington on 95(we have Super 8 movies of people playing frisbee from car to car during rush hour it moved so slow). What I was curious to know is how is parking at various Metro stations? We plan to use Metro to get around, and we'd like to get a hotel near Dulles(better ameneties and nicer looking area from what I can tell), but it would mean we need to drive to a Metro station to go see the sights. Do the lots at the stations fill up quickly? I'm not worried about geting a spot near the terminal(unless it's raining ) I just want to know that we will be able to park at a station. Are there other parking options near metro stations(public garages) if metro lots are full? Are there certain stations whose lots are always full and others that are easier to park in?

I really appreciate your input on this.... Guidebooks don't really know the "Real World" situations many times, so a local perspective would be GREATLY appreciated!!! In return, I'm willing to offer tips on going to South Florida(WPB/Fort Lauderdale/Miami) issues or Huntsville Alabama items you might have questions about....

Thanks guys....and gals!!!!
ToneyTiger

I'm not really sure of parking in Nova, but some hotels offer shuttle services to metro, so you don't have to worry about parking... You could probably even get a hotel on price line name your own price in crystal city and be within walking distance of the metro within your price range

Old 05-26-2010, 03:24 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,874,533 times
I've never had trouble finding parking at Franconia-Springfield. The rooftop always has spaces.

I've also never had trouble getting a space at Pengaton City. You park in the mall parking lot and the station is in the mall.

Those are the only stations I've used recently, at least in Northern Virginia. When we lived in Montgomery County, Maryland, there were plenty of times when I just could not find a space at Shady Grove.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,210,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I've never had trouble finding parking at Franconia-Springfield. The rooftop always has spaces.

I've also never had trouble getting a space at Pengaton City. You park in the mall parking lot and the station is in the mall.

Those are the only stations I've used recently, at least in Northern Virginia. When we lived in Montgomery County, Maryland, there were plenty of times when I just could not find a space at Shady Grove.
Shady Grove built more garage parking. When I used to live there, you had to get there by 8AM or not get a spot. i would drive to rockville, park in a niehgborhood and walk to rockville metro...

Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 219,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTiger View Post
Hi all!

We plan to use Metro to get around, and we'd like to get a hotel near Dulles(better ameneties and nicer looking area from what I can tell)
I did not know Dulles was a vacation destination

Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,935,139 times
Your closest stations from Dulles would be Vienna, Dunn-Lorring, and West Falls Church. On the weekends they don't fill up to capacity usually unless theres something big happening in town. But even if there is Dunn Lorring and West Falls church should be good for parking. Also theres a metro express bus (5A) that goes from Dulles Airport to L'Efant Plaza in D.C. with stops in Reston, Herndon and Rosslyn station so you might wanna consider that too.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,824 times
All of em having plenty of parking

Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM

822 posts, read 2,804,692 times
ToneyTiger, if you posed your question on this site: Hotels and Vacation Reviews - TripAdvisor, they would definitely advise you to stay either in DC itself or Arlington, so you don't waste long hours going back and forth, after you have already been on your feel all day in the heat. Of course, the Dulles area does have one major sight itself, which is the Udvar-Hazy annex to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum - see Smithsonian Institution You have to remember that the DC metro area overall has the nation's second-worst traffic, according to Amer. Auto. Assoc. annuals rankings for the last several years. As far as parking at suburban metrorail stations, many of them do fill up early in the morning, especially on Tues, Wed, Thurs. It is only slightly better on Mon and Fri, while on Sat and Sun there is ample parking anytime at most suburban stations, for free. If you're parking on a weekday, you will also need to purchase a $5 parking card. The tolltakers no longer take cash bills, since some of them were caught stealing/ pocketing the money a few years ago. See Metro - Home page

Last edited by slowlane; 05-28-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 AM

113 posts, read 424,501 times
I'd like to thank each of you for your input on this, it is greatly appreciated.....and yes, one thing we like about being near the airport is being closer to the ir & space annex.....it's a must visit for my son and I(and my wife LOVES the "Warthog" ever since she saw one at the big airshows down in Fort Lauderdale....she loves the sound of it's guns shooting......lol....I think I married a true redneck girl......lol...

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM

84 posts, read 286,422 times
If you do stay near Dulles conciser parking at the Herndon-Monroe park & ride.. Free parking and direct Fairfax Connector service to West Falls Church.

Or.. stay in Manassas or Fredricksburg and ride the VRE in..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: