U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 PM

9,146 posts, read 13,487,952 times

Advertisements

Also its not for me but this area has a lot of ski resorts nearby too. Both summer and winter sports are big around here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:40 PM

414 posts, read 2,140,165 times
I prefer DC over Boston...Boston is an attractive city, with a lot of pluses. However, I prefer the diverse culture of DC and the metropolitan area. One thing that's more attractive about DC Metro is the fact that people who reside there aren't all native or lived in the area thier entire lives, hencing people aren't as territorial in DC. Boston is just the opposite of this--yes Boston does comprise of "out-of-towners" but not to the degree of DC Metro. I believe this eclecticness gives the DC Metro area more character, and makes it a more pleasant city to live in. More importantly, the DC Metro area is a lot more culturally/racially integrated than the Boston metro area.

But again, it really all depends on where your heart is too. People who prefer Boston of D.C. are typicall more fond of the New England culture...while I've never really embraced it for various reasons. Anything important aspect that's excellent about the DC Metro area is that minorities will have a better likelihood of securing great jobs, homes, education, etc in the DC Metro area. A recent study published by the University of Massachusetts-Boston, indicated that racial disparity along the lines of: employment, education, housing is a still a major problem in Boston/MA.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 14,261 times
Hey I was born and raised in Boston and just moved to DC recently. I think they are both great options. I like Boston better but I was also more comfortable there. Neighborhoods in Boston are safer. Boston is really safe for a big city. Most of the crime is concentrated in three or four neighborhoods and you would never go near these neighborhoods. DC the criminals do more preying on tourists and people out in the night clubs. IN boston, if you go out to faneuil hall, or boyleston street u will run into your normal occasional drunk clown but u won't get mugged at gunpoint. Boston is an internatinoal city too, so i definitely wouldn't say the people there are from there. IN fact, i use to get as much grief about my boston accent in boston proper as I do in DC. Nobody out in town at the hot spots is from Boston. There are local joints in the various neighborhoods that attract the locals. Cost of living is about the same for both areas. Boston is probably a little colder, but i the summer is more tolerable than DC from what i've heard. If you want to talk about running, getting breakfast, and walking your dog, than I think you need to be in Boston. Charles river is a great running route or anywhere on the water front. I like the ocean, and in Boston you will be right on the water. Tons of great great breakfast places and diners. Great parks like boston common. I'd move to Boston if I had to choose one, but again, I've only been in DC for a short time.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:03 AM

The biggest downer about Boston and just Massachusetts itself, is it's proportional lack of cultural diversity and integration. Minorities that lived in Boston/MA have assimiliated to this way of living, and really aren't cognizant of all the racial separation that exists in Boston.

Is Boston, a "racist" city?? I wouldn't use the word racist. But it is a racially separate city for the most part. And research studies have proven this as well. D.C. is no more dangerous than Boston. The biggest shocker for newbies into the D.C. is the amount of African Americans they see. Boston's African American population is mainly concentrated into specific, known commuties within the city. Which is somthing I think is very sad...because the reputation of these communities are attrocios too.

The physical attraction of Boston is nice for the most part but again, beauty is subjective. I never really found all the old, dirty, rowhouses scattered throughout the city to be very pleasing/attractive. Some of the brownstones in Boston are very nice though; and Boston has some very nice parks, and waterfront areas to walk/vist. Which D.C. has similiar equivalents... But it's really to each its own...and like I previously stated, D.C. is what I choose.

Good Luck at whichever historical city you choose!!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,838,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
The biggest downer about Boston and just Massachusetts itself, is it's proportional lack of cultural diversity and integration. Minorities that lived in Boston/MA have assimiliated to this way of living, and really aren't cognizant of all the racial separation that exists in Boston.

Is Boston, a "racist" city?? I wouldn't use the word racist. But it is a racially separate city for the most part. And research studies have proven this as well. D.C. is no more dangerous than Boston. The biggest shocker for newbies into the D.C. is the amount of African Americans they see. Boston's African American population is mainly concentrated into specific, known commuties within the city. Which is somthing I think is very sad...because the reputation of these communities are attrocios too.

The physical attraction of Boston is nice for the most part but again, beauty is subjective. I never really found all the old, dirty, rowhouses scattered throughout the city to be very pleasing/attractive. Some of the brownstones in Boston are very nice though; and Boston has some very nice parks, and waterfront areas to walk/vist. Which D.C. has similiar equivalents... But it's really to each its own...and like I previously stated, D.C. is what I choose.

Good Luck at whichever historical city you choose!!

Boston is depressing....Diversity is a joke. I got a job offer to move there and turned it down because of the segregation made me feel uneasy.....

Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 AM

5,717 posts, read 13,692,854 times
I lived in D.C. for a number of years and if it were me I would definately pick Boston. I just think D.C. lacks the pulse of Boston in just about every way. D.C. is the most status conscience city in America. I absolutely hated that part of D.C. Plus Washington's summers are hazy and hot with oppressive humidity. Architecturally they're similar but Boston imo is far more attractive imo. Love its location on Boston Harbor and its close proximity to the Cape and Martha's Vineyard. Crime always seems to be an issue in D.C. but it looks like its improving.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:24 AM

14 posts, read 66,830 times
Did you mean 9 women to every 1 man? I thought DC had more single women than men?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Boston is depressing....Diversity is a joke. I got a job offer to move there and turned it down because of the segregation made me feel uneasy.....
I too find Boston to be very depressing, and a very unfriendly city. The racial seperatness of the city, and the Metropolitatn area is what really bothers me. Most of which is because Boston is a very territorial city, where many people have lived here thier entire lives...and develop some sort of narrow minded way of thinking, and aren't very acceptance difference, and racial/cultural integration.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:57 PM

26 posts, read 148,601 times
Default 9 men to every woman ... alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnative68 View Post
There are 9 men for every one woman on average in the DC area. If you would like to step into that type of power vacuum, move here. If not, move to Boston. Most women I know native to this area actively seek to marry men from somewhere else or settle.
WOW! I want to move to D.C now - 9 men to every woman! Hey man - move there!!!!

(I know I have been of no help what so ever, have I?)

I like the diversity in D.C - but I am not from there - I can tell you about NYC and Toronto and Philly and I love all three places. I like Boston, it is very liberal BUT the average age is really young - which is fine depending on what your age is - all the colleges make it that way. That is a tough one - ummmmm...... I say D.C - sorry I am still stuck on the 9 men to every woman ... HELLO! Sorry, I haven't slept ....... no but really, I have heard D.C is not as 'homogenous' as Boston - I have no idea if this is really true - oh wait - Arlington, VA (part of D.C really) was voted the top place to live for singles ... no really I read it - I did. I am moving to either Richmond or Charlottesville for a job - but I am not sure I want to - but I am not gettting ANY feed back really as to which is more diverse and liberal .......... does anyone here know??? I have no idea what I am doing.

Last edited by nancysi; 07-02-2007 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: spelling ....

Old 07-02-2007, 04:10 PM

14 posts, read 66,830 times
Im moving out of Florida also, I looked into Boston in January and I was sick the whole time that I was there. If you are not used to the cold, it seems really hard to adjust. I would definitely pick DC over Boston. Also, I just got a bad feeling when I was there, I cant exactly explain what it was, but I just didnt like it there. Maybe it would have been better during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC