U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:14 PM

19,183 posts, read 29,346,404 times

Advertisements

Boston and DC are two completely different places. One would have to sample each, then make a call. Boston would simply crush DC in the availability of proper lobster salad, for example. But you can't get a decent half-smoke anywhere. One thing that people don't think of sometimes is that DC is a very 'short' city. No skyscrapers. They're banned so that the Monument and the Capitol dome can dominate the skyline. Nothing in town is any higher than 12-14 stories. And there are tons of parks. Every few blocks. So the sight of green things and the feel of actual sunlight are an integral part of being even in the very heart of downtown DC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM

BTW, there are not nine single men for every single woman in DC. Per the 2000 Census, there were in DC proper 117K never married women over the age of fifteen, and 113K men of similar circumstances. Because the dominant industry in DC has historically been one of the most able and willing employers of women, many educated females do come here to pursue their careers. Rumors of a slight excess of professional women over men are not therefore misleading, but the excess isn't enough to knock the social scene all out of kilter. Things here are about the same as anywhere else...

Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysi View Post
I am moving to either Richmond or Charlottesville for a job - but I am not sure I want to - but I am not gettting ANY feed back really as to which is more diverse and liberal .......... does anyone here know??? I have no idea what I am doing.
Richmond is a borderline large city. The population is around 200K. Charlottesville would be less than a fourth of that. The latter would be more predominantly white, but in general more liberal, than the former. Charlottesville routinely makes trendy magazine lists of top places to live in the USA. Richmond does not.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM

414 posts, read 2,139,918 times
Do you want to live in DC or in Boston? Or will you consider living within the confines of each cities metropolitan area? Both metro areas are very expensive places to live, and both obviously have thier share of positves, and negatives. If you share specifically want you're seeking out of a metro area you will get a better wealth of answers.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,012,279 times
HANDS DOWN Boston!!!

Cost of living, food, less of a terrorist target, good public transportation, and just a better balanced lifestyle and people.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM

266 posts, read 828,429 times
I agree people in D.C. are on power trips. I also think it is shallow. It is hard to get past the chit chat stage and make life long friends. But it has tons of jobs. It is a great place to start your career and/or get a degree, then move somewhere to settle!

Cheers!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM

3,354 posts, read 6,170,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
I agree people in D.C. are on power trips. I also think it is shallow. It is hard to get past the chit chat stage and make life long friends. But it has tons of jobs.
I agree with all of that. If you're a ladder-climbing, Type A, really driven kind of career person, D.C. will be heaven to you. Just be warend that a lot of people are uptight and focused on themselves, and you'd better stay out of their way.

I've only been to Boston once, but the people there seemed a LOT more relaxed, laid-back, and friendly than they do here in the D.C. area. And for me, the architecture in Boston can't be beat. So much history!

Could be a grass-is-greener thing for me, since I'm looking forward to leaving metro D.C. in a few years. But it does take a special kind of person to enjoy living here.

One plus, since you're from FL, is that the winters are milder here than in Boston. On the other hand, the summers wouldn't be as swampy in Boston as you're used to, whereas D.C. will give you plenty of heat and oppressive humidity.

From what I've heard, driving in Boston is horrible, and I can guarantee you that it is here in D.C. So that part may be a wash.

The social scene may be a little more happening in D.C. than it is in Boston, but that's just a general impression, since I'm a boring old married person.

I hope some of this helps ...

Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,313 times
I recommend Crystal City for starters. We lived right above the metro and loved it. We were never exposed to the outside which made commuting a dream. Second, moving to DC is an eye opener. You quickly learn the ways of the culture and fighting for every inch. You make friends with those that can help you and all others are basically invisible. The only irritate my wife and I had was people walking on the wrong side.... not only in stores but also in the metro walkways under crystal city. Although mostly foreigners, it appears as though they don't understand the concept of walking on the right. Other than that, we were tolerate of the culture and left in April but are both headed back to Southern Maryland for another promotion.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,639 times
Default Boston to DC

I've lived in Boston for the past 9 years and have finally had it with the liberals and Mass holes I've had to put up with for almost a decade. I agree with alot of the bloggers here, Boston is very territorial. . . an annoying habit I've noticed over the years of Bostonians is when it snows (and believe me, it buries this city when it does) people shovel their cars out, and then put a lawnchair out in front to "claim" their spot. God help you if you happen to park in it or near it, they'll cut your throat practically. . . Since the minute I moved to Boston, I've found 85% of the people: rude, miserable, arrogant, ignorant, unfriendly, impolite, cold, elitist, stand offish, territorial, obnoxious, contemptuous, pretentious, and unkind. Period. Yes, there are exceptions, but those are usually the people from outside of Boston who moved here from out of state. The lifers here are some of the meanest people I have EVER met. My sister has lived in DC for over 20 years, and the one time she came up to visit me with her family, my 11 year old niece at the time got accosted by some Mass hole on the T (she tried to pick up and give to this dick head some change that he had dropped, and he practically punched her).

Boston (and Mass. in general) has the worst drivers (I've literally been almost run off of the road on numerous occasions), the worst weather in the nation, and by far the worst corrupt politicians. One example of how the nanny state of Mass. tries to rule your life: In 1989 the state legislature "temporarily" raised the state income tax rate from 5% to 5.85% to cover a "budget crisis." The promise was that it was temporary. Well, it took over 10 years for the cowardly taxpayers of Mass. to finally get the balls to ask the legislators for their money back by reducing the income tax rate back down to 5% where it originally belonged, but the legislators didn't feel like doing it themselves, so a statewide ballot initiative had to be passed in 2000. The state started reducing the state income tax rate in phases and was supposed to be completely returned to 5% in 2006. But lo and behold, in 2004 the state again cried "Oh no, another budget crisis" and refused to continue the income tax rate reduction (the so-called budget "crisis" was solved by the next year, by Gov. Mitt Romney). And Devolve Patrick, the now present do-nothing Governor, refuses to do anything about it. I thought stealing was against the law? Hmm, apparently not in Massachusetts - just claim "budget crisis" and all the citizens here believe like sheep whatever the state house tells them. Not to mention the whole gay marriage debacle being forced on people without their chance to vote on it, and the Boston City Council's recent ridiculous rulings on renting to students Overflow crowd at testy hearing on student housing - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe(if you're a property owner like me, you'd understand), and restaurants being banned from cooking foods with trans-fats in them. Sorry, but I thought this was America, not Communist China. Well, it isn't called the People's Republic of Massachusetts for nothing.

I know the cost of living is comparable and the commute times in DC suck, but I've had it with the quality of people and leaders here - I'm ready for a change. I hope the DC area is a breath of fresh air, b/c I need it. If you're considering moving to Boston and you can tolerate all of the above, go ahead, be my guest.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:39 AM

18 posts, read 60,727 times
Default a more contemporary take....

I'm a single gal in my late 20's and have been switching back and forth btw Boston and DC every 3 months for the last 2 years, . I DO like Boston a lot, but I prefer DC. You didn't mention what age you are, but the singles scene around Boston seems pretty limited to the 18-25 range. It's great for that age range because so many people are coming for college and/or their first job. Above 25, not so great.

On the other hand, you have people coming to DC from a much wider geographic range, and at more stages in their careers. I don't think that the Boston/New England area is as unfriendly as many people claim, but I do think it's harder to break in socially. For example, it seems much easier for me to walk into a bar in DC and strike up a conversation with a random stranger (and also less frequently get the feeling that some skeevy guy is just hitting on me :P I think part of the reason for this is that people are just more networking-aware since DC is a political town, but also since much fewer people there are "natives".

I should also mention that, as a minority, I don't think Boston is any more "segregated" than DC is. And I like Boston winters more than DC summers (I'm from SoCal originally so not previously acclimated to either clime). I think the cost-of-living in both areas is comparable, but DC (especially the Northern VA burbs) has become more expensive lately.

As far as Boston neighborhoods, I would suggest Fenway and Jamaica Plain. Both have access to great parks. Fenway has a much better bar/singles scene though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC