U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:19 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,497,286 times

Advertisements

I guess this is a pretty old thread recently revived, so the person probably already made her decision. If not, I'll throw my 2 cents in, having lived in both DC and Boston.

People told me before moving to Boston that it's nothing like its image as a bastion of culture, intelligencia, and sophistication. They said that outside the universities, it is very much like a small provincial city obsessed with sports and very insular.

I thought they were exaggerating. They were not. I, personally, could not stand Boston - which surprised me. It has all the basic things I would desire in a city - a nice level of density, a beautiful, walkable city, good universities... but its energy was just very oppressive. It seemed to struggle for a reason to matter anymore as more than just the unofficial capital of New England. Once the "hub of the universe", it is now basically a regional city. I tried to get into its history, but everytime I did I would be led back to the same basic places. I guess I'm far less interested in "a bunch of people had a meeting in this church in 1762" than I am in the ever evolving, living history that is present in DC's culture and visionary but often hidden meaning in its architecture. DC didn't just happen by its locale. It was consciously created as the epicenter of a new political philosophy.

If you are over 25 in Boston, you either have 9 siblings raised in Boston and now all settled down with 4 kids or you are simply old. Don't bother going into a bar. You will be old.

I thought it would be similar to DC, but the previous poster really captured DC. It was designed for a purpose and it draws people from all over the world for that purpose. It is always changing - with administrations, with world events... Conversations in bars with others are flat out fascinating, since people have careers there no one else has anywhere else.

People say DC people are shallow. Certainly many are, but if you are young and single you will probably never know what kind of car your friends own (if they own a car). They will all probably live in average apartments or townhouses that do not define their lives, but rather are simply a means to the work they do that really defines their lives. That's not for everybody, but it's a very different kind of shallow than Florida, which is much more focused on the individual.

I love the energy of passionate people driven to change the world in DC. It is everything Boston was not for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,357,984 times
[quote=mj_schultz;3515208] I've noticed over the years of Bostonians is when it snows (and believe me, it buries this city when it does) people shovel their cars out, and then put a lawnchair out in front to "claim" their spot. God help you if you happen to park in it or near it, they'll cut your throat practically. . .

Welcome to Chicago

Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,357,984 times
A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

And this map will help those of where the single people are....

Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,629 times
Smile Reply - a more contemporary take....

Just to clarify my age:
"You didn't mention what age you are, but the singles scene around Boston seems pretty limited to the 18-25 range."

I'm 33 and I moved to Boston when I was 24. I agree - anything after 25 is pretty much limited. But I'll also state I've never really met anyone of quality (meaning long-term relationship wise) in a bar, ever. I've always had more luck at parties, book stores, parks, concerts, etc. than in a bar.

Thanks for the insight.
Oh, and just another reason why I'm moving: Today it's May 4, 2008, and the weather in Boston: Gray, overcast, rainy, cloudy, and a balmy 49 degrees. Another lovely day. Can't wait to move . . .

Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the insight. Just more ammo for my decision to get the hell out of Boston and leave the Mass-holes forever.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

And this map will help those of where the single people are....
Yes, I read that book where the map is quoted - I just finished it a month ago. It was one of my reinforcing drivers convincing me that Boston is just not my city anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC