Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,591 times

Advertisements

Hello There,
My family and I may be moving to the D.C. area sometime next yr from NYC. I am not that knowledgeable in the different areas around here so I would appreciate some suggestions. We are a military family with two young kids (one is school aged and the other will be in another 2 yrs). I will working be in Walter Reed Army Medical Center and my husband will be at the Pentagon or Ft Meade so nothing too far away (max1 hr travel time during rush hour). I am interested in an upper middle class area that will have a good school system, family friendly, diverse and safe area, house prices are around $400,000 or less. I don't mind going to Maryland or Virginia. I have been looking into Bowie, MD as a choice. Please list all the pro's and con's. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fabulousfab; 11-01-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,486 times
We're in the military and are getting ready to PCS out; 7 year veterans of the National Capital Region.
The big question is when does your husband find out which location? WRAMC is centrally located so won't be to unreacheable from wherever you live. The Pentagon vs Ft Meade is another story; it's an hour drive between the two locations. If the Pentagon, I'd recommend Arlington or Fairfax counties in Virginia. If Ft Meade, then the Silver Springs or Greenbelt MD areas.

As far as your requirements go: upper middle class area, Home less than $400K, and a sub-one hour commute will be extremely difficult to find. You'll need to prioritize these, I'd recommend elevating your housing budget to at least $500K.

SJ4

Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM

123 posts, read 504,011 times
If you work at Fort Meade, Bowie would be great for you. Beautiful homes in Bowie. Also, the Michellville, Fort Washington area host an abundance of nice neighborhoods with beautiful single family homes in your price range. Their are some gems in this part of PG. County that aren't being scooped up YET. You may hear some stories re: PG. County but half of the people are speaking from a distance or reading the news to much. Anyway, those are three great areas. GL

Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
If you want a good public school system, stay out of Prince George's County. Spend some time researching the DC school systems and you will quickly learn that DC and PG County are dead last. There is a reason that homes are significantly less expensive in PG County than elsewhere in suburban Maryland.

I agree that you cannot begin a meaningful housing search until you know exactly where your husband will be working.

Unfortunately, $400K does not buy you into an upper-middle class community unless you are prepared for a commute over one hour. (One hour in DC metro traffic does not actually get you very far, either.)

Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM

220 posts, read 703,869 times
Look into Montgomery County (Burtonsville area) sinces its about halfway between Waler Reed and Ft. Meade. Since they have one of the best school systems in the country and finding a home for 400k or lower is easy. Since DC's school system is terrible.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:17 AM

123 posts, read 504,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
If you want a good public school system, stay out of Prince George's County. Spend some time researching the DC school systems and you will quickly learn that DC and PG County are dead last. There is a reason that homes are significantly less expensive in PG County than elsewhere in suburban Maryland.

I agree that you cannot begin a meaningful housing search until you know exactly where your husband will be working.

Unfortunately, $400K does not buy you into an upper-middle class community unless you are prepared for a commute over one hour. (One hour in DC metro traffic does not actually get you very far, either.)
If you want a beautiful home in your price range look into the areas I suggested. If your kids are disciplined and respectful because of parenting, they will be fine in PG County Schools.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,991 times
Smile Lease with Option To Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfab View Post
Hello There,
My family and I may be moving to the D.C. area sometime next yr from NYC. I am not that knowledgeable in the different areas around here so I would appreciate some suggestions. We are a military family with two young kids (one is school aged and the other will be in another 2 yrs). I will working be in Walter Reed Army Medical Center and my husband will be at the Pentagon or Ft Meade so nothing too far away (max1 hr travel time during rush hour). I am interested in an upper middle class area that will have a good school system, family friendly, diverse and safe area, house prices are around $400,000 or less. I don't mind going to Maryland or Virginia. I have been looking into Bowie, MD as a choice. Please list all the pro's and con's. Thanks in advance.
Response:
I have a lovely single-family home available just for you. It's a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath blessed home sitting on a corner lot. The kitchen has a beautiful granite countertop,a stainless steel refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. Has a fireplace in the family room and nice size deck. Looking to lease the home with the option to buy. Lease amount per month is approximately $2,000.00. It's less than 1-hour drive from home to the Pentagon. If you want to ride the metro train to work (Pentagon or Walter Reed), you are approximately 15 minutes from the Largo Metro Station. If you are a football fan, you are approximately 20 minutes from the Washington Redskins Football Stadium. There is a brand new elementary school near for your school aged child. Good school system. A few school buses stop on your corner. Diverse, safe, family friendly area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: