Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 12:28 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times

Advertisements

Okay, at the risk of making myself sound like a total loser...

I just moved to the eastside suburbs of Seattle from San Diego. I've lived in both Southern and Northern California, New Jersey, and Indiana. I've never lived near nature, as it were.

I read on an apartment review site that bears had been spotted going through the trash at the complex we moved to. When I asked the leasing office about it, they confirmed that they did have some bears rifling through the dumpsters in the past.

I'm terrified of being attacked by bears. But I'm even more terrified of my husband being attacked (he likes to take walks by himself sometimes at 1 or 2 in the morning). I've read that black bears (the predominant type in WA) don't tend to attack people, but of course just after reading that, I read about the little boy in Utah that was killed by one just recently.

Anyway, do bears really come into residential neighborhoods often? How often are people attacked by bears in WA?

This move has been really hard on me, and now I'm having nightmares about bear attacks.

V. =\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 02:57 AM

9 posts, read 53,182 times
Here is a website with some information on Black Bears and Cougars, neither of which I would be too concerned with unless I was camping.

WDFW -- A Few Facts About Cougars and Black Bears in Washington State (http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/cougbear.htm - broken link)

# Cougar and black bear attacks on people are extremely rare.

# Cougars are carnivores. They are elusive, secretive animals rarely seen in the wild. Although their usual prey is deer and other wildlife, it is possible, although rare, for them to perceive humans as prey.

# Black bears are omnivores. They are solitary animals and usually avoid people. Most confrontations between bears and people occur as a result of surprise encounters at close range, or because of food and garbage attractants near homes.

# Both black bears and cougars are classified as game animals in Washington state and are hunted under rules and seasons established by the state Fish and Wildlife Commission.

# The black bear population in Washington state is presently estimated at 25,000 animals. The cougar population is estimated at 2,500 animals.

# Information about black bear attacks on humans in Washington state is sketchy, but one fatality and three non-fatal attacks have been recorded.

# Information on cougar attacks on people is somewhat more reliable. One fatality and five non-fatal attacks have been reported since 1924. Four of the attacks occurred during the 90s.

# Even though black bear and cougar attacks are rare, evidence points to a significant increase in recent years in the number of human encounters with the animals. There are three major reasons for the increase: the destruction or alteration of wildlife habitat; an increase in the state's cougar and black bear populations; and an increase in the state's human population. The latter has translated into more people recreating or otherwise encroaching on wildlife habitat.

# In response to this trend, the Department of Fish and Wildlife in 1995 began systematically collecting data on bear and cougar complaints reported by citizens. A "complaint" is broadly defined, and can range from livestock depredation to a sighting that causes citizen alarm.

# In 1997, the Department verified 561 public complaints about cougars. That same year, the Department captured and relocated two cougars that posed a public safety threat or other problem. Forty-seven cougars posing problems were lethally removed by the Department or the reporting party.

# In 1997, the Department received 541 public complaints about black bears. Thirty-seven bears were captured and relocated, and 42 were lethally removed.

# Besides establishing a data collection system for black bears and cougar complaints, the Department has recently expanded the training offered to Fish and Wildlife officers in how to respond to cougar and bear complaints. Officers are required to complete mandatory classes on how to properly capture, relocate and, when necessary, euthanize the animals. The Department has also begun public education efforts to promote bear and cougar awareness.

# In 1996, public concern over bear and cougar hunting methods led to a citizens vote that eliminated the use of hounds for hunting cougar, and the use of hounds and bait for hunting black bear. The initiative (I-655) is expected to significantly reduce the number of black bears and cougar harvested during the hunting season.

# Several actions have been taken by the Fish and Wildlife Commission to increase black bear and cougar hunter participation, and to assist in offsetting the reduction in black bear and cougar harvest. Statewide black bear and cougar hunting seasons have been lengthened, and the cost of tags that hunters are required to purchase has been reduced.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM

292 posts, read 1,447,810 times
Hi Veronika -

I'm paranoid about bears, too. We took a family vacation to Yellowstone and I had nighmares about bears breaking into our trailer. So don't worry, you're not alone. I still hike and enjoy the outdoors around here, I just do it smartly: WDFW -- Living with wildlife in Washington: Black Bears - Close Encounters (http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/blkbear/blkbear4.htm - broken link)

Bears are rare in the eastside. No one has ever been attacked by a bear in the Seattle metro-area in recent history. But as people move into what once was bear territory, you might hear about sightings.

There are a couple of factors that should make you feel safer: 1) These bears tend to be young and small - they've probably wandered down the mountain because they are looking for a territory of their own. 2) Black bears mainly eat berries, larvae, fish - large prey (like people) aren't a big part of their food chain. 3) When black bears feel threatened, their response is to flee and climb up a tree. This distinguishes them from the brown bear/grizzly, who natural response to perceived threat is to charge and/or attack.

A hunter in Olympic Nat'l Park was attacked by a bear last year, but he was hunting it - so what goes around, comes around, I figure.

The story about the Utah boy upset me, too. Predatory behavior in a black bear is very rare and usually stems from mental illness or starvation. Part of me hopes they find food in the family's tent so I will feel safer going out in the wilderness myself and following safety measures. But I feel 100% completely safe in my neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM

Thank you both. I have had a fear of bears since a camping trip to Yosemite where everywhere they posted pictures of what bears would do to a car if you left food in it. It terrified me. I think being pregnant, I'm also a lot edgier about stuff. Stupid hormones. =)

I'll try to stop stressing, it's driving my hubby crazy. =)

Thank you again for all the useful info!

V. =)

Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 PM

633 posts, read 2,540,836 times
Veronika,

What part of SD did you live in? I, too, am in San Diego can't wait to get to Seattle.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
Veronika,

What part of SD did you live in? I, too, am in San Diego can't wait to get to Seattle.
We lived in Carmel Mountain Ranch, right off Ted Williams Parkway.

It's definitely an adjustment, but I think I'm doing better than my husband!

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: