Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The hair styles in Lynnwood are still quite similar to what was "cool" when communism fell. I think it reminds many Russians of their new found freedom among westerners.
Hahahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,031 times
This is the NWO order foreign occupation process. A lot of these people work for DHS and the ones that don't are here to support the greater Russian/Ukrainian/ Eastern European community that are here. When civil unrest occurs, they are the ones that are going to confiscate guns. Russian and Polish troops have been spotted in the Chicago area practicing urban warfare drills. The ones that stare you down and look angry are probably operating on some NWO propaganda in which hatred of Americans has been instilled.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc17 View Post
This is the NWO order foreign occupation process. A lot of these people work for DHS and the ones that don't are here to support the greater Russian/Ukrainian/ Eastern European community that are here. When civil unrest occurs, they are the ones that are going to confiscate guns. Russian and Polish troops have been spotted in the Chicago area practicing urban warfare drills. The ones that stare you down and look angry are probably operating on some NWO propaganda in which hatred of Americans has been instilled.

Do you have any proof?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM

23 posts, read 42,259 times
Sorry, guys.but I have to agree Russians are rude, annoying as neighbors and just plain ghetto. Our house is surrounded by Russians that are in section 8. They keep popping babies and to get more welfare. I know that for a fact, since I made friends with one of them and he mentioned that the other neighbor is pregnant to get welfare pay . the Couple is in Thier late 40's and they already have 7 kids. 3 are considered disabled,like mom.

Anyway, I am a minority myself...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 PM

36 posts, read 65,384 times
a) it is extremely rare for Russian families to have more than 2 kids. I can tell you that for sure (as someone who grew up in Russia)
b) unfortunately the reality is if your house is surrounded by people of ANY nationality in section 8, you are probably not going to enjoy the surroundings much.
c) I hope you guys realize that one of the primary reasons the Seattle area (especially Redmond, Bellevue and Kirkland) is a popular destination for Russians is a strong IT market (the same is btw is true about Silicon Valley).
d) I agree that as a nation we are not the friendliest bunch in general. And honestly that's one of the reasons I've never wanted to live in predominantly Russian neighborhoods. But to generalize and draw bs conclusions based on anecdotal evidence speaks ignorance to me. And honestly sounds a bit racist.
e) it is considered shameful inside the Russian community to be on any sort of social assistance. Yes, I heard about some people in NYC and LA who prefer to be on social assistance indefinitely, but it is a very tiny proportion of the Russian immigration.
f) if some of you guys want to move because of "foreign invasion", move. Just please stop saying that you're more American than others because you were born here and speak without accent. I am a law abiding, highly educated, hard working resident (soon to become a citizen) who pays more taxes than 90 percent of the population and something tells me that I might be more valuable for the country than some of the people who claim to be "more American".

Quote:
Originally Posted by supac View Post
Sorry, guys.but I have to agree Russians are rude, annoying as neighbors and just plain ghetto. Our house is surrounded by Russians that are in section 8. They keep popping babies and to get more welfare. I know that for a fact, since I made friends with one of them and he mentioned that the other neighbor is pregnant to get welfare pay . the Couple is in Thier late 40's and they already have 7 kids. 3 are considered disabled,like mom.

Anyway, I am a minority myself...

Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 42,259 times
Either you have not lived or been surrounded by them or you are one.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,810 times
I worked for a community services agency headquartered in south king county that provides refugee assistance to these populations including housing units in areas like kent and auburn. They also assist them to navigate social services available to them, offer language assistance and more.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 AM

115 posts, read 205,263 times
More Russian immigrants = more hot chicks with sexy accents. Most of the Russians I have met, are glad to be here, and hard working. Someone mentioned in a previous post that once you break the shell, you won't find a truer friend, and I know this to be a fact. Large influxes of people from any foreign land will always cause new challenges, but eventually they will all assimilate, and become part of the landscape, while bringing some new facets to it. There's still a "China Town" in most large west coast cities, and 150 years ago people were freaking out about them. Well we are all good with them now right?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
I work for a general medical facility that takes many calls a day from the King/Snohomish County area. I noticed that about 20-25% of our Lynnwood patients are Russian. I went to research some stats for that demographic and why Lynnwood seems to be the hub but have found nothing online. Thoughts?
The wave of immigration from Russia after the USSR crashed was the result of the US Embassy handing out immigration visas like candy. Petitioners were steered toward cities that already had an established Russian community. These were: Seattle, San Francisco Bay Area, LA, NYC, to name the main ones. This "invasion" did not happen randomly, it was part of a US gov't program.

As the first wave got settled in, and Russian grocery stores and restaurants got set up, more followed (speaking of the Seattle area. All that was already there, as well as Russian bookstores, community organizations, bakeries, etc. in San Francisco, LA, and NYC). What's been going on for the last 15 years is an expansion of those communities into the suburbs. The same thing has happened in the Bay Area as well. Now suburbs in the East Bay on up to Sacramento have sprouted their own Russian communities and related amenities.

"Hot Russian chicks" have always been around. But before the USSR crashed and they became available as mail-order brides, no one paid any attention to them, and they mainly married within the Russian community. Now suddenly, they're a hot commodity. I guess PR really makes a difference.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Suburbs have more immigrants than Seattle itself, because they're more affordable. Usually it starts out with a group of immigrants coming to a particular area, and waves of them follow after for support. Just a matter of connections and networks. Seattle in general attracts tons of immigrants due to the government and private nonprofit pilot programs that funnel money here. There are more opportunities to use public assistance here than in say California or New York.

With Russian immigrants, it's kinda 50/50 as to their socioeconomic prospects in the USA. They seem to be on one extreme or the other. The ones that come here, work in IT, and live in Bellevue obviously fare well. But there are many poor Russian immigrant families that came here on refugee or asylum status (that is becoming harder and harder to get) or were sponsored by another family member. The ones in Kent and Lynnwood are usually poor and have to get on public assistance. I currently work in nonprofit/public assistance, and about 25% of the people receiving our charity money are Russians. THe food bank I volunteered at in Rainier Valley was also frequented by young Russian men. Before my current job, I was an admin assistant at an immigration law firm, and most of the Russians were assisted were faring better. Usually females married to an American man. Like I said, they come here and either make it big or stay in the slums. I have a strong feeling a lot of the Russians that come to the USA would've been considered "gopniki" back in Russia (only a Russian would understand this lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington