Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Funny how you spent all that time partly looking for the wrong statistical information. Did you see me mention anything about Seattle when talking about Vancouver having more sunny days? No, I compared it to Forks, Olympia, and other towns, not Seattle.
Please forgive me. I must have misread this comment. No doubt it was somehow taken out of context. What was I thinking?

Quote:
Vancouver is also about 10 degrees warmer in the summer and 10 degrees cooler in the winter compared to any town on the Puget Sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

If you're looking to nitpick what everyone says based on a couple of degrees or days or other minimal matters, why don't you join congress? Your annoyances would perhaps be more appreciated or useful there as opposed to a posting concerning the weather.
Since you're so familiar with the weather in both places, surely you can find some data to support your opinion?

Thinking something is so, doesn't make it so.

When you have something factual to base your opinion upon, get back to us won't you?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:36 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Since you're so familiar with the weather in both places, surely you can find some data to support your opinion?

Thinking something is so, doesn't make it so.

When you have something factual to base your opinion upon, get back to us won't you?
Would you not agree that "5 degrees" is an average? So, isn't it likely that it could go over that 5 degree mark to say, 10 degrees? If it didn't vary to that degree, wouldn't that in fact make the average lower than 5 degrees? And, does it really matter if it's 10 degrees or 5 degrees? Like I said before, it could be easily inferred that it is somewhat hotter or cooler in Vancouver depending on the season. I don't think I made a concrete statement of exactly 10 degrees when I said, "It's about 10 degrees hotter or cooler." And there are ways of getting points across other than saying what someone said is "BS," especially when it's such a small difference. As somebody who lives in Seattle, you should know that that there is frequently a 10 degree difference. Obviously that's not the average from what you have provided, but that's not to say that I was lying.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Would you not agree that "5 degrees" is an average? So, isn't it likely that it could go over that 5 degree mark to say, 10 degrees? If it didn't vary to that degree, wouldn't that in fact make the average lower than 5 degrees? And, does it really matter if it's 10 degrees or 5 degrees? Like I said before, it could be easily inferred that it is somewhat hotter or cooler in Vancouver depending on the season. I don't think I made a concrete statement of exactly 10 degrees when I said, "It's about 10 degrees hotter or cooler." And there are ways of getting points across other than saying what someone said is "BS," especially when it's such a small difference. As somebody who lives in Seattle, you should know that that there is frequently a 10 degree difference. Obviously that's not the average from what you have provided, but that's not to say that I was lying.
LOL still waiting for a single fact...anything?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
LOL still waiting for a single fact...anything?
LOL, don't you know what an average is? If 5 degrees is the average, it means that the temperatures are going to vary some above that and some below that. Look at the forecast for Seattle and Vancouver at weather.com. For example, on Thursday the Forecast for Seattle is 76 and the forecast for Vancouver is 84. If you're not sure of the math, that's 8 degrees. I don't have time to look up statistical information because I have better and more important things to do. Why don't you look up stats or some other information disproving that there has ever been a difference of 10 degrees on any given day or that it doesn't occur on a regular basis. I can guarantee you won't find it.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The Sunniest areas in Western WA are the San Juan Islands and the Sequim area.

All are in the shadows of the Olympics.

More here.

Rainfall varies a lot around Western Washington and Puget Sound

Really? I was just looking on city-data.com and it says that for Vancouver the average percentage of sunny days maxes out around 70%, but Sequim and the San Juans only max out at about 48%.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Really? I was just looking on city-data.com and it says that for Vancouver the average percentage of sunny days maxes out around 70%, but Sequim and the San Juans only max out at about 48%.
Link? I'll hold my breath.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Link? I'll hold my breath.
//www.city-data.com/city/Vancouver-Washington.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Seattle-Washington.html
//www.city-data.com/city/San-Juan-Washington.html

Scroll down to the sunshine graph.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM

The graphs you link suggest that Seattle gets 50% sunshine in July and August. I'm not sure exactly what that means as they chart it since there are no qualifiers or parameters linked. But on the surface it appears as though they're saying it's cloudy half the time during those two months.

I find that virtually impossible to believe. But now that's my opinion mind you. And given the other stats I've provided I suggest other sources don't jive with those numbers.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,912 times
Wow- I had always heard about Sequim being in the rain shadow but that graph shows too little sunshine for me. Really beautiful area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington