Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 27,727 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Washington from Scottsdale, AZ. Can't take the heat amongst other things. I am curious to see what areas/towns are the safest. I prefer to live somewhat close to water or on a golf course but safety and quiet are more important.

I also prefer a smaller town or outskirts of a big city like Seattle. I am hoping to get some insight since I've seen so many pros and cons to moving here on the Internet.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Camas, WA (~ 3 golf courses)
Washougal, WA ( https://ohgcc.memberstatements.com/l...m?destination= )
15 min to Portland Airport or Vancouver, WA
25 min to downtown Portland
2 very big rivers... (Willamette and Columbia.) 1 hr to Hood River (wind surfing) or the Oregon Coast, or Mt Hood, Adams, or St Helens. 1.5 Hrs to Mt Rainier.

North Bonneville, WA (~45 min to Portland) if you want a REALLY pretty spot on a 9 holer. w/ lots of bike and hiking trails. but no commerce area.
Beacon Rock Golf Course - North Bonneville, WA

additional courses within 20 minutes (Skamania Lodge and Carson Hot Springs)

Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,285 times
Olympia, WA has been ranked the safest mid sized city in the entire US these past two years in a row.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 PM

14 posts, read 40,042 times
Renton is pretty good. It's sorta full of potheads, (pretty friendly) but I haven't become aware of any real crime or even any bums, (I've walked around at night with no problems) plus it's got a river, lake and a big golf course. The river doesn't go through any towns before Renton so it's pretty clean, and so is the lake. We're right up against the wilderness, really. And the highway's a straight shot to Mt Rainier.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,051 times
I would say Point Roberts, WA. It's been called the safest gated community in the USA. And it's not even connected to the US by land.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:21 PM

68 posts, read 211,073 times
I would say look at Liberty Lake, right against the Idaho border 20 miles east of downtown Spokane. Safe, near a city, has a lake and a river, and is full of golf courses.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 PM

404 posts, read 1,030,781 times
Bellevue is pretty much what you're looking for, but it is quite expensive. There are golf courses all around and there's a really, really nice one in nearby Newcastle.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,715 times
Freeland, WA, on Whidbey Island has homes on a golf course that are affordable. It is a lovely place. Still, it is on the island, and you have to not mind getting the ferry to go to Mulkilteo if you want to get to Bothell, Seattle, etc.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,502 times
Default Re: Safest towns

I have lived in Washougal since 2001. I don't think you can get a much more safer town than the one I live in. If you like small towns with friendly people and very low crime rates, this is the spot for you. The only thing that separates Washougal from the Columbia River (Which is huge) is Highway 14, but because there isn't a high level of traffic either direction, you also don't have to worry about the sounds from the vehicles. And most of Washougal isn't even located right next to the Highway. They have recently constructed several new gorgeous homes in our area. If you like to fish, this is definitely the spot for you. We have a golf course. Nice schools. We are only about 10 minutes from Portland & Vancouver, Wa. It is nice because you can live in a small area, and then just cross a bridge into Portland & when you shop, you don't have to pay sales taxes. We have one shopping center in the middle of our town. A real neat little cafe where the employees make you feel right at home. We have a few other restaraunts, including mexican and chinese and american. Definitely a nice place to check out.
Good luck.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,823,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
I would say Point Roberts, WA. It's been called the safest gated community in the USA. And it's not even connected to the US by land.
Point Roberts is a wonderful little town, though it takes two border crossing to get to anywhere else in the US, and another two to get back, requiring 4 border crossings each round trip. Unless you have your own private boat (or plane) and can cross Boundary Bay into Blaine or Bellingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington