Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,194 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering moving to Ocean Shores. All of the topics I've seen on Ocean Shores were form 2007. I was wondering what the condition of the city is now. I understand that it is humid, mildly warm in the summer, and small. None of that bothers me.

Anyway, give me the lowdown. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,487 times
Rain, and lots of it. I've never lived in Ocean Shores but have been there many a time. (My grandparents have a place in nearby Ocean City, and the family has been going there in the summers for over 10 years). If it's not raining, it's at least damp every morning. The dew comes right in off the ocean. Horrible WIND the closer you are to the shore, but not so much the farther inland you go.

It is a very beautiful place non the less, and the warm, clear, sunny summer days are awesome.

Prices are a little more there than in Seattle, where I live, but they aren't horrible. Dick's IGA is the main grocery store. There's a bowling alley, a movie theater, a McDonald's (the old Burger King across the street went under YEARS ago and I can't remember what it is now), a few excellent places to get pizza and/or ice cream, and gift shops all over that are fun to look through. There's also an awesome interpretive center near the southern end of the peninsula.

Sadly the passenger ferry between Ocean Shores and Westport, another neat community, no longer runs, and it's about a 45 minute to hour drive around the harbor.

Again, I've never lived there, but I can't imagine there being much opportunity for work there. Not even nearby Aberdeen has a whole lot and you may have to go as far as Olympia everyday for work. A long drive (about an hour and a half, I believe) but a very scenic and peaceful one.

Hopefully some current full time resident will chime in with more info.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,824,997 times
I live in Ocean Shores.

I've already written a lot of stuff on this forum about Ocean Shores and Aberdeen that you could probably search up.

But, if you have any specific questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:47 PM

28 posts, read 105,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I live in Ocean Shores.

I've already written a lot of stuff on this forum about Ocean Shores and Aberdeen that you could probably search up.

But, if you have any specific questions, I will be glad to answer them.
Hey Freddy, do you still live in Ocean Shores? I'm considering moving there, my wife and I are both retired. Curious what a resident thinks are the pros and cons. A big pro to us would be the cost of housing. We also love small towns. The con seems to be health-care from what I've read. Are there physicians in Ocean Shores accepting new patients? I'll attempt to search for your past comments.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:56 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,403,069 times
I am someone who has spent a lot of time from mid Oregon to mid Washington both camping and power camping and have been to both during the summer and the winter. Winter to watch the storms roll off the ocean, summer to enjoy driving and walking on the beaches.

I lot of people consider living there up and down the coast in the Summer but when winter weather rolls around they wonder why they moved there. You will see a lot of houses for sale in the Spring after a cold. wet windy winter. But more so on the Washington coast less so on the Oregon coast.
I think a summer home would be attractive but not year around. IMHO

Old 09-27-2019, 11:07 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
As a weather buff, I'd rather be at the ocean in the winter, during storms, than in the summer. I love the high surf and crashing waves and the big sky views of storm clouds. But you have to be into that. This is not ever going to be Southern California beach where the weather is warm and people are swimming and parading by in swimsuits. It's Washington, where even in summer, the beach is often cool, and breezy, with driftwood brought in by storms of winters past all along the shore.

It's a study in nature and weather, not a summer resort hotspot where people wear bikinis. If you want a beach resort hotspot, there's MUCH better places for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington