Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 AM

57 posts, read 144,384 times

Advertisements

i've just moved to washington to work with AmeriCorps (meaning i receive a stipend & need a small apartment, house, or room that is affordable.. $750 or less!)
my job is in mount vernon, but i've had VERY little luck there finding ANYTHING worth renting at all. the only places under $800/month that allow small dogs that i've seen advertised are, for lack of a better word, very crackhouse-like... one was a good location in mv, but i was totally taken aback by the apartment itself & the people hanging around it. there was dirt & clumps of hair all over the floors, dark smudges & stickers all over the walls, & cabinet doors missing in the tiny 1 bdrm i looked at, & it REEKED of cigarettes, & according to the guy showin the place, it was "cleaned & ready"...
i'm really surprised..i've never had a problem finding a pet friendly studio or tiny 1 bdrm for $700 or less in any of there other places i've lived.
i've searched local newspapers, craigslist, & googled every apartment i've seen, but maybe i'm looking in the wrong place?
i can't understand where all the decent places for rent are... i mean, where do the normal people live, who need a decent, safe place but can't pay $1000/month for a studio or 1 bdrm? i know there's got to be college students in the area that don't wanna live in sketchville but are also on a budget & have a pet.. where do you find a place?!?

i wanted to live in MV but based on what seems to be available there in my price range, i'm open to looking elsewhere within reason (La Conner, Anacortes, Bellingham, etc)

thanks for any help or advice you can give...i'm desperate & getting frustrated, if you can't tell. & i really don't mean to offend anyone in the area by this post, i think it's a great area, & i'm SO excited to be here.. i've just had very bad luck apartment hunting i guess :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
If you're willing to live in Bellingham, I'd also take a gander at Everett. I'm sorry, I don't know too much about the rentals up north. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 36,766 times
I live in Mount Vernon now, and have lived in the Mount Vernon area all of my life and have rarely seen any pet-friendly rentals here (regardless of the condition) and when I have they are usually around $900 and up. Though the landlords willing to rent to people with pets seems to be rising, due to the recession I'd assume.

I'd suggest checking out some of the smaller towns around MV (Burlington, Sedro-Woolley, Clearlake, Bow, La Conner etc).

Also, I don't know if you'd object to living in a mobile home park but they do seem more open to pet owners then apartments/multiplexes and are much cheaper then most rental homes (the ones I've seen have been very clean, but you might want to develop a taste for 60s/70 interior decorating/appliances & wood paneling).

I do remember seeing a new apartment complex that allowed small dogs up near the Mount Vernon Haggen, but I can't think of the name.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRS View Post
I live in Mount Vernon now, and have lived in the Mount Vernon area all of my life and have rarely seen any pet-friendly rentals here (regardless of the condition) and when I have they are usually around $900 and up.

I'd suggest checking out some of the smaller towns around MV (Burlington, Sedro-Woolley, Clearlake, Bow, La Conner et.

Agreed- you might stumble across something in the outer lying areas. We own multiple commercial and residential properties in the area and as the above post suggested, the going rate for the type of housing you are seeking in this part of the country is, quite honestly, going to be in the $900-$1000 a month range. Sorry... it's simply what rental housing costs around here.

What about finding a room-mate to share the cost of rent with? A fellow AmeriCorps worker perhaps?

Best of luck and hopefully something turns up for you!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM

116 posts, read 412,105 times
Had the same problem a while back when looking for a temp apartment in Bellingham that allowed pets. If you're still looking for something, you should check out Bakerview Terrace on E. Bakerview Road. Not the greatest place, but they allow pets and the units are clean inside. Rent is only $700 and it's month-to-month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington