Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM

49 posts, read 85,133 times

Advertisements

Could you please offer/suggest a city in Washington that might appeal to me and my family for a move in the near future? We are tired of the harsh northern Wisconsin winters- frigid, below-zero temps and lots of snow! It also seems winter lasts nearly 6 mos. around here. We can handle the heat in the summer, but the high humidity for long periods of time is uncomfortable as well.

We have been to the Wenatchee area and LOVED the view (mountains & Columbia River), size (population), recreational opportunities, etc. We also liked Leavenworth and the Lake Chelan area, but I fear jobs might be hard to come by? plus, length of commute? I think cities like Spokane, Seattle & Tacoma might be too large (overwhelming) for us? I hope that isn't limiting us TOO much... What about a smaller city near Olympia? Any thoughts or ideas???

I have been a graphic designer for over 10 yrs. and my husband is a mechanic. We have a toddler and would also like to find an area that is "safe" and offers a great school system for the future. Also wondering about cost of living? (renting for now) public transportation? traffic?

Any info you could give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM

91 posts, read 221,817 times
Check the Tri-Cities area.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Tri-cities is a good bet, as is Ellensburg, parts of Yakima, Sunnyside if you like a smaller town, or Prosser.

A good mechanic can get a job about anywhere. Graphic design can be done over the internet, I would think.

I lived in Iowa for a while, IMHO you can pick any point in the PNW or Idaho, Montana, etc. area and get a better climate.

Bag it before the snow flies. Wherever you land, it will be better than staying put.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,965 times
My husband and I are graphic designers too and love living in our small town of Poulsbo. We work remotely from our home office so the size of town isn't an issue for us. As well as the towns mentioned already, I'd suggest you check out Olympia, Mount Vernon and Bellingham. There are also many areas with a small town feel surrounding Seattle that have companies employing graphic designers. You need to visit in person--too many possible choices! We're from the Midwest as well and in comparison find it hard to call what we have here in western WA "winter." Good luck with your search!

Lynn

Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM

325 posts, read 787,532 times
As far as climates go - do keep in mind that places east of the Cascades can get pretty cold in the winter (i.e. 100+ inches of snow some winters, below 0 temps in Spokane -- also, Wenatchee and Leavenworth can get pretty wintry too). West of the Cascades is likely where you would be happiest, climate-wise. As long as you don't mind cloudy, wet winters, you will absolutely love the winter temperatures here. Your first winter, you will probably be waiting for it to start and, before you know it, March will be here.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Eastern Washington has a more continental climate. All four seasons are there in full. Cold snowy winters, hot dry summers. There is low humidity there, too, so even 90s feel quite comfortable, and 40s don't chill you to the bone.

Western Washington has dry, warm summers (more moisture in the air though, but the humidity is still nothing to the mid west US), and a very long, cool, cloudy, rainy season. And then there's November. November seems to have the heaviest rainfall, as well as the strongest wind storms. At least to me. Most of the rain in Western Washington falls as a constant drizzle, so even though annual average rainfall is something like 36 inches, it all comes down over a very long time in small doses, instead of all at once. Very few "nice" days outside of the summer months around here. And unlike Eastern Wa, most of Western Wa is not always guaranteed snow in the winter (for some a good thing, for others, like me who love snow, not so good).

So pick a side of the state, and then go from there. Personally I can't wait to relocate to Eastern Wa after spending my entire 25 years so far in Western Wa. I just love it over there so much. Looking into Wenatchee, you should check it out if you decide to go with Eastern Wa, too. Cashmere, about 15 minutes west of Wenatchee, is also very nice.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:13 AM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I'm not sure it's accurate to say we have a "continental" climate (like the Midwest) - temperatures here are usually within 10F of Atlanta, GA where my Mom still lives.

It is dry. It's not uniform either, the Yakima to Walla Walla area is quite different from the east side of the Cascades, Spokane is different from both.

The sensible temperature here does swing more than the coast. But I would say I'm perfectly comfortable from 50 to 80 F here.

I think anyone from northen Wisconsin would find Tri-City area winters quite mild. Certainly in my own experience they are mild compared to the Cedar Rapids, IA area.

You coasties are happy with your trade-off of constant drizzle for mild temperatures and essentially no snow - well you would be, or you wouldn't be there. That's not to say it's the only deal out there though.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not sure it's accurate to say we have a "continental" climate . . . . . You coasties
Just to clarify, I don't think it's exactly accurate either, but as in a similar comparison that you just provided the other side of. Calling Seattlites "coasties" is just as inaccurate. We are a good 90 miles away from the coast, as the eagle flies, and with much less precipitation to boot. Also with warmer summers, and slightly (barely) cooler winters.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:20 PM

68 posts, read 317,754 times
You'd definitely want west of the Cascades. While the eastern part of the state likely isn't as bad as Wisconsin, it's still got cold, nasty winters.

One thing you'll have to understand, though, is that while we don't get as much snow, our winters are dark, cold, and rainy. And when I say dark, I mean dark - entire months go by where the sun doesn't come out. I knew people in college who moved here from sunnier locals, claiming that they liked the rain. By February they were searching for a ledge and a long drop.

Not trying to put you off or anything, just saying that it's not all butterfly kisses and unicorn giggles here, weather wise.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM

49 posts, read 85,133 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... Luckily I have some time to decide (and $ave) before the actual move. For now I am researching more about Ellensburg & Cashmere on the east side of the state; and the Olympia area on the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington