Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times

Advertisements

Things you will miss living here.

The Cowboys.
Addison's restaurant row.
The Malls
BBQ
The Sun

Things you shouldn't miss.

The Godforsaken wasteland that is North Texas.
The unbearable heat.
Air Conditioning (You don't need it here, and believe me your sinuses will be happier)

The positives

Seafood
The Scenery (3 National Parks within a few hours of the city and then there's the San Juan Islands and Eastern WA as well))
Being close to Vancouver, BC (an amazing place)
Boating. If you're into that sort of thing, it's pretty tough to beat up here.
Fresh Produce (Almost everything grows here save citrus)
Mild Winters. (We really don't get below freezing much, with few periods of snow)
Mild Summers. 75 degrees, no humidity, and no bugs. Truly Glorious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 AM

478 posts, read 785,011 times
I'm moving to the Everett area. I just got a job with Fluke Corporation, which is next door to Boeing. The climate is similar to where I am now, so no big change there.

I've been training in Utah 3 weeks, for one of the jobs there that is moving to Everett.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:16 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times
To the OP: I hate you! lol

I have been in Texas for 8 years and would give my left testicle to get a good job in Everett and get the hell out of here.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM

10 posts, read 20,500 times
I wanted to become a police officer in Everett, before visiting there (I heard good things about their police force). When I actually got there and toured the city, I found it soul-crushingly depressing. It seemed run-down, grimy, and I saw a lot of wanna-be gangstas. I would never, ever, ever live in Everett; I ended up living in Seattle. The rest of WA varied in quality, but none were as bad as Everett.

This is just from my own perspective, although I wish someone had told me that before I went.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
There are some nice areas in Everett. And it has several nice towns nearby. Mukilteo, Edmonds, and Mill Creek but there are some areas in Everett you would be wise to avoid.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,739 times
Komos,

Congrats on Boeing. I used to work for Boeing till I was laid-off in 2000. I used to live in everett around the Silver Lake area and it is very beautiful. The commute is nice (usually around 20 minutes), and there are a lot of little shops and what not around the area.

I am not sure what area of Boeing you are being considered for, but coming from a fellow Boeing worker, the pay is very nice, but you will always be on-edge about lay-offs. If you are a non-union factory worker, you may have better luck. Keep me posted as I have thought about trying to get back on with Boeing.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 PM

10 posts, read 29,234 times
thanks all for the input?

where should we live in washington?
our priority is safe neighbourhood and commute within 30 mins to boeing-everett (zip 98203)
right now it's just my wife and I but we plan to have kids in 2 yrs.
should we rent or buy? for a house, right now our budget is around 220K.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Right now, it's best to rent.

You have a couple great options:

Snohomish (the city): very quaint dt, got lots of old homes. Was a traditional suburb of the Everett Boeing employees.
Lake Stevens, Stanwood: more rural area
Mukilteo/Edmonds: the upscale neighborhoods

Everett itself does have nice and safe neighborhoods as well... Generally the neighborhoods closer to Mukilteo is nice.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 PM

10 posts, read 29,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Right now, it's best to rent.

You have a couple great options:

Snohomish (the city): very quaint dt, got lots of old homes. Was a traditional suburb of the Everett Boeing employees.
Lake Stevens, Stanwood: more rural area
Mukilteo/Edmonds: the upscale neighborhoods

Everett itself does have nice and safe neighborhoods as well... Generally the neighborhoods closer to Mukilteo is nice.
why do you think it's best to rent? isn't interest rate and property value low right now?

Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM

151 posts, read 548,351 times
I know it sound crazy but it can be (and right now it is) cheaper to rent over buying. Someone who bought their house before the price increase is able to rent at lower prices than purchasing today. Yes, interest rates are awesome right now, but the purchase prices of home here are still very, very high. Especially coming from N. Texas. $220k in North Texas will get you a two story new brick home, 2500 square feet, 4 bedrooms. Depending on the area you look at here $220k will not get you much, if anything.

I am sure prices are much lower North in Everett, but you will be shocked what your money gets you here compared to Texas. The prices and market is 100% different here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington