Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Rainier Eruption Odds Low, Impact High, Expert Says

But, I've heard most of my life that it's "due". ...
Good odds it'll be ugly when it does. ...
If it happens in the winter, we on the 'we_t side' may not even know till summer (or the next summer) since we rarely see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Were you educated in WA?
As a matter of fact yes I was.

Quote:
I mean, the 12 years I attended school in every science class, we *had* to hear that.
That you heard it when you were in school a fact does not make it. You suggested that Rainier was due. What does that really mean?

Just because people say Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the US doesn't make it true. The facts are otherwise.

Rainier has shown no signs that it is "due". The issues are with population encroachment near the mountain and into the historic lahar flow areas and the subsequent increased risk should it erupt.

Quote:
William Scott, a geologist with the United States Geologic Survey (USGS) in Vancouver, Washington, told National Geographic's Ultimate Explorer host Lisa Ling how the potential problem has grown more dangerous: "We have no sign that the volcano is doing anything different or is any more likely to erupt than it was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. The issue is that people have moved in much, much closer."

Quote:
Here in Seattle, it'll be mention in the paper about the big one and effects of Mt. Rainier and/or earthquake once in awhile
I questioned whether or not "Mt. Rainier" was due, not a big earthquake. While it's certainly possible that an eruption of Mt. Rainier and a major quake could coincide, I've seen nothing that would suggest that an eruption is "due"

Earthquakes are another matter.

Again. That people talk about it does not make it "due" or a fact that it is "due"

Quote:
Also, OP, you should definitely visit Leavenworth, they're going to be having Oktoberest soon!
Absolutely true. The best fall colors in WA are to be found there at the right time. Call ahead. But Oktoberfest is fun regardless.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Subduction earthquakes are one of the most powerful forms of earthquake there is. Here's a link to the wikipedia page for our subduction zone (The Cascadia Subduction Zone):

Cascadia subduction zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Check out some of the external links at the bottom of the page, too).

Last edited by cjg5; 09-24-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
The difference between a subduction quake and the kind caused by faults such as the San Andreas, BTW, is that two plates are sliding by each other at the San Andreas fault, where as at the Cascadia Subduction Zone one plate is subducting (sinking) beneath another (the Juan De Fuca plate is sinking beneath the North American Plate).

Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
That you heard it when you were in school a fact does not make it. You suggested that Rainier was due. What does that really mean?

Just because people say Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the US doesn't make it true. The facts are otherwise.

Rainier has shown no signs that it is "due". The issues are with population encroachment near the mountain and into the historic lahar flow areas and the subsequent increased risk should it erupt.

I questioned whether or not "Mt. Rainier" was due, not a big earthquake. While it's certainly possible that an eruption of Mt. Rainier and a major quake could coincide, I've seen nothing that would suggest that an eruption is "due"

Earthquakes are another matter.

Again. That people talk about it does not make it "due" or a fact that it is "due"

Ok? I suppose you missed this part:

Quote:
... We are due for the "Great Earthquake"... parts of WA has to set up Tsunami warning and are not well prepared. We have 5 active volcanos... and Mt. Rainier is due to blow soon as well. Flooding is also an issue. I mean, all these are possibilities... but I personally am not confident in our government handling.
Anyhow, no need to make for an argument given that my comment wasn't set as fact, but noted as a possibility.

As for the "talk", Mt. Rainier erupting is a serious issue as one would need to make preparations and educate others. As example of "people talk", Orting has done their drills several times, but the big question is would it be enough? Is this kind of "talk" not fundamental enough?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Anyhow, no need to make for an argument given that my comment wasn't set as fact, but noted as a possibility.
Actually it was said as a "fact" The word "is" infers fact in your quote below. There is no wiggle room there. Your qualification that followed notwithstanding. That qualification was nothing more than a contradiction.

Quote:
And Mt. Rainier is due to blow soon as well.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Actually it was said as a "fact" The word "is" infers fact in your quote below. There is no wiggle room there. Your qualification that followed notwithstanding. That qualification was nothing more than a contradiction.
What's that saying? "... depends on what the meanings of the word 'is' is."

Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
What's that saying? "... depends on what the meanings of the word 'is' is."
This calls for a...

http://www.straferight.com/photopost...e-facepalm.jpg

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-25-2010 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: hotlinked

Old 09-25-2010, 01:41 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Cracking me up

Mt. St. Helens gave a whopping whole 2 months warning ... prior to that, no one particular was saying it "IS" due! So, eruptions / quakes could happen anytime without much warning -- or not for lifetimes ... "Due", is a pointless term in geology. The time frames are educated guesses based on histories that vary so widely that it's just a crap shoot for a human life timeline.

Bottom line: the NW is subject to volcanoes and earthquakes ... also tsunamis ... experiences severe flooding at times ... gets walloped by vicious windstorms and ice storms not too infrequently in winters.

Move here if it appeals to you.
And:
don't buy/build on a riverbank
don't buy/build next to a volcano
don't live lowlands near ocean shores without an evac plan
do install earthquake foundation / framing anchors
do install major appliance anchors
don't have big, old, trees right near your house
stay inside when the lines are down and whipping around with sparks outside your window
... and remember to always wash your hands before eating and wear clean undies when you go out to party

How hard is common sense? Enjoy

Old 09-25-2010, 04:07 PM

10 posts, read 65,834 times
Okay, got it. I will keep in mind I could be a victim of a volcano (sounds like a pretty quick and painful way to go) or a deep earthquake. In spite of that I still want to come. Im pretty sick of the several earthquakes I get every year here, flooding every winter, and common fires every warm season. Does anyone have any good pictures of WA that they could share? I ordered a bunch of travel guides online but was pretty disappointed. I was hoping to see some great outdoor pictures but they pretty much were all just advertisments. Honestly It will probably be over one year before I get to WA. I want to make sure I have enough money saved up so that Im not in a panic and I will be just fine if I lost my job there or anything else happened. Anyways, if you have any good pictures of WA could you please share them here? I would just love to see them. Thanks!

mod interpose: We'd rather have random photos posted in the dedicated photo thread. There have been complaints in the past about photos being scattered in too many threads. That's the reason a lot of forums here have a dedicated thread for photos. If you have a request for a photo taken in a specific area, then they can be posted here. Thanks. --'r

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-25-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington