Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times

Advertisements

Yes, mosquitos were especially bad this year in Vancouver. Step-father in law was saying that he would burn 6 jugs of citronella half an hour before he go out watering his garden. Didn't do anything! Simply couldn't water his own garden, because they were EVERYWHERE. (Didn't seem to be as many here in Seattle, but probably because the spiders ate them.)

My friend who lives in MN said that mosquitos here are nothing compared to there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, mosquitos were especially bad this year in Vancouver. ... Simply couldn't water his own garden, because they were EVERYWHERE. (Didn't seem to be as many here in Seattle, but probably because the spiders ate them.)
They were a little worse this yr due to mild winter and a long wet spring (2-3x normal rainfall and cloudy days). I have a good crop of bats to help subdue the 'squeeters. BTW, Watering the garden is much better accomplished (better use of water, better for plants) in the early morning when I have never had a mosquito problem. I haven't been curtailed from activities due to the pests (and after traveling to other parts of country I appreciate our relative freedom from pests, I got West Nile in Colorado ~ 7 yrs ago).

Quote:
My friend who lives in MN said that mosquitos here are nothing compared to there.
I was there (MN) in Sept for the '2nd' hatch and found it to be very well accomplished (I was itching for a few weeks)

We_tern WA has mosquitoes, but usually not intrusive to outdoor activities. Recreate where there is a stiff breeze, don't reside in the middle of the forest and don't leave lots of watering spots available. (tarps, barrels, old tires, bird bathes, pots, pails, jars ...)

I find yellow jackets to be a worse offender, tho that nuisance also varies with the weather.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I agree with the yellow jacket problem this year. More than I've ever seen in the past ...again, I think we have to thank the mild winter last year.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I find yellow jackets to be a worse offender, tho that nuisance also varies with the weather.
I hate those dirty rat bastards. But I didn't see ANY of them this year. Not near Bellingham anyway. That was weird.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 PM

113 posts, read 876,522 times
I of course have a soft spot in my heart for North Central Washington, but the whole state is filled with great places to live. I am a big fan of the lifestyle of the Ocean Shores area as well as the Wenatchee area.

For anyone who is curious: photos of Wenatchee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington