Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 AM

61 posts, read 100,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
From what I've read, this new tax attempt is trailing in the polls by something like 15 points. There's no way it passes. What saddens me is that there are actually so many people who thought it was a good idea.
If polls are any indicator, trailing by 22 points.

I actually enjoy how this started out..at first this was passing, but as people actually started to do their homework, they found out the lies and deceit of the Pro campaign, and realized that in 2 years..we will have a sales tax and a income tax..with Olympia still not knowing how to balance the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
I'm voting for it. But I'm leaving the state, so I have no horse in this race. Everyone is going to have to pay more taxes and do with less; decades of living beyond our means has caught up with us. You cannot just cut spending to make up the deficit. The sooner the payback starts, the less painful it will be.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
They got rid of the tolls on the 520 bridge.

Of course they're bringing them back now.
The toll was lifted in 1979 when the bridge was paid for. I don't believe for a second that todays legislature in Olympia will ever voluntarily give up a source of tax revenue once they have it. They will only do it when the voters pass an initiative forcing the issue, and then they'll repeal it ASAP (not more than 2 years).

They'll do the same with an income tax. After 2 years there is no doubt they will increase spending and lower the tax threshold to pay for it. Eventually "the rich" will be anyone making over $17,784 / year.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 PM

With the massive debt being accumulated by states and the federal government, does anyone really believe we can cut our way out of those deficits? Taxes will have to go up, and the sooner it happens, the less painful it will be. Politicians have lost the will to do the responsible thing in favor of pandering for votes.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
A few short years ago, this state had something like a 9 billion dollar surplus. So yes, I do think we can cut our way out of it. It's obvious that we were pulling in PLENTY of money before the politicians went all bat*#@! crazy with the spending. Remove the gratuitous spending and pet projects, and things will balance themselves out. Let the politicians rattle their sabers and threaten to fire police and teachers all they want. Eventually, they'll have no choice but to behave, so long as we continue to show them tough love and force them to be responsible.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
With the massive debt being accumulated by states and the federal government, does anyone really believe we can cut our way out of those deficits? Taxes will have to go up, and the sooner it happens, the less painful it will be. Politicians have lost the will to do the responsible thing in favor of pandering for votes.
I believe that is the trap they have set for us. A lot on the left believe we pay too little in taxes. The only thing that can be said in public is that only the rich pay too little. Behind closed doors though, they look at Europe as a model for America. In Europe, EVERYONE pays higher taxes. On the federal side, it's fair to argue that we are being put in a hole so deep that higher taxes are inevitable. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's a fair argument. I suspect some politicians are counting on it. They must be, because to burden America with such debt otherwise would be scandalous and in this persons opinion - treason.

I can't wait to see what this so-called bi-partisan debt commission recommends for America. Fortunately, I sense that more on the left are realizing you can believe in liberal social policies and be fiscally conservative at the same time. As soon as more Americans realize the costs of trying to do everything, there will be more and more fiscal conservatives.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
I would normally vote "no" for something like this due to it being anti-business, but I will vote for it because Steve Ballmer is against it.

He is a huge contrarian and I can almost always count on him being wrong about everything.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Quote:
From what I've read, this new tax attempt is trailing in the polls by something like 15 points. There's no way it passes. What saddens me is that there are actually so many people who thought it was a good idea.
If it passes I am going to get totally sick..then angry...
There is no more of a trojan horse than I-1098. The sleaze that sponsored this need to make sure they've had their last seats in office come time to replace legislators.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
A few short years ago, this state had something like a 9 billion dollar surplus. So yes, I do think we can cut our way out of it. It's obvious that we were pulling in PLENTY of money before the politicians went all bat*#@! crazy with the spending. Remove the gratuitous spending and pet projects, and things will balance themselves out. Let the politicians rattle their sabers and threaten to fire police and teachers all they want. Eventually, they'll have no choice but to behave, so long as we continue to show them tough love and force them to be responsible.
We were also coming off an unprecedented run of cash flow. I don't expect the state to see that kind of surplus any time soon.

I am all for cutting waste, make no mistake. I don't think that will be 1) enough to balance out the debt any time soon or 2) enough to accumulate necessary cash resources to provide a rainy day fund during the next recession.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Short and to the point: I'm proud of ya, Washington. This thing got smacked down with authority, and the Eyman initiative to force polis to have a 2/3 majority to raise any taxes seems to be passing as well.

Keep showing these idiots in Olympia the tough love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington