Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 37,800 times

Advertisements

If I could go to Ft. Lewis I would in a minute!! I grew up not far from there. I ended up in the south and 20 years later I looking for ways to go back up there. Yes, the cost of living can be high but, it all balances out with the incomes that are earned. If that is a concern you really should live on post. Besides, the home is provided for you and all you have to do is pay for utilities and phone. Plus groceries which are always tax free when you buy on post. At least that is what I find when I shop on post. Also, a study that I read once showed that Washington had the best medical history ever. So, if that is a concern you will be in excellent hands. Just be sure that you travel a little and go see what Washington has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,512 times
First, the traffic in that area is not bad for those of us who grew up in SoCal. It gets a little slow at times, though.

The Fort Lewis campus looks beautiful from what I have been able to see driving past it. I think those who recommended living on base are spot on. But the artillery practice can be a little loud.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 PM

8 posts, read 37,800 times
If I could go to Ft. Lewis I would in a minute!! I grew up not far from there. I ended up in the south and 20 years later I looking for ways to go back up there. Yes, the cost of living can be high but, it all balances out with the incomes that are earned. If that is a concern you really should live on post. Besides, the home is provided for you and all you have to do is pay for utilities and phone. Plus groceries which are always tax free when you buy on post. At least that is what I find when I shop on post. Also, a study that I read once showed that Washington had the best medical history ever. So, if that is a concern you will be in excellent hands. Just be sure that you travel a little and go see what Washington has to offer.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 22,180 times
Thanks you all so far! me and my husband desided to for sure move on base atleast at first till we get to know the area! I hope it will all work out! if there are any more people out there that know how fort Lewis is how the live is on base and all that i would love to hear what you think about it! Also it would be good to know where on ft lewis the nice housing is that way i can ask for it when i get there! Thanks a lot you all stay save where ever you are:-)

Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,400 times
When are you being relocated? because at the moment me and you are in the same boat although my Hunsband is already there and i have been there once and i love it he hates the weather there we are both from North Carolina. He also calls I-5 the "I-5 Parking Lot" because at sometimes during the day it is dead still..... ohh and heads up watch out for people who cannot drive... not trying to offend anyone but some of residents cannot drive. As far as the base i know there is a several month wait on base housing so as soon as you get your orders make sure ya'll go ahead and have your name put on that list!!! thats why me and my Husband chose to rent off base then make sure it is some where nice ( FYI Lakewood isnt really that bad but it has been shown on COPS alot but that was in the past) and i noticed that everything is clean...If you smoke do NOT though your cigg butt out the window...or anything for that matter.....very strict on that kind of stuff.... it is beautiful there if you like it cold and rainy but when i went there in the fall it was amazing and pluse im not used to living somewhere where you can see a volcano ( dont worry its dormat) Not trying to scare you but i noticed not too many people told you about that.....But the base is wonderful its big you have two gates one on one side of I5 and the other on on the other side. Im new the the Military my husband has only been in a year and we just got married in September...so if you have anymore questions ask me and if i dont know i will be more then happy to ask my Husband and Welsome to WA!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:27 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Steilacoom and Dupont are really close to Ft Lewis---in fact, they are close to the north gate entrance of the base, but both these places are pricey. You get what you pay for. Lacey is good and not a far commute from Ft Lewis. You are close to shopping etc. Once you get base housing, things will ease up and the Fort has a great commissary, BX, and they are in the midst of building brand new housing. Very nice. Plus, on clear days, which aren't many but, you have a smack out killer view of Rainer. You'll be just fine. The base is one of the nicest Army bases I've seen and you'll be close to I-5, which is both a blessing and a curse. If you have to rent temporarily, I would go for Lacey before University Place, just for close proximity and because University Place is getting hoody in some areas. I moved away from there earier this year.

Please stay away from Lakewood. It's really not a great area and many of the safer and nicer areas are fairly expensive. Property crime is really high, as is drug use etc. I worked out of Lakewood for several years. Just trust me on this.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times
Hallo Silke, ich bin auch Deutsch.

I think you'll like it in Washington. The climate is very similar to that in Germany, except the winters are milder here and instead of snow, we get rain.

Ft. Lewis has recently completed two new housing developments, but unfortunately there's still not enough on-post housing for the people who want to live on post. The waiting list on average is 5-12 months. Perhaps you'll get moved to the top of the list with a special-needs child.

I'm with Cobolt, If you rent, or buy a home I would recommend Lacey. Dupont is also a nice place, as is Steilacoom, but homes there are more pricey than in Lacey. Traffic south of Ft. Lewis is usually not bad. The commute from Lacey to Ft. Lewis is about 20 minutes.

Although living on post is convenient, I would not recommend it if you have school-age children. Ft. Lewis children fall under the Clover Park schools. Just do yourself a favor and compare the Clover Park school district with either North Thurston (Lacey), Steilacoom (Dupont). or Olympia. Washington State Report Card

Fort Lewis is the nicest Army installation we were ever stationed. We loved it so much we got assigned here twice and retired here. If you want to know where the German stores, restaurants and bakeries are when you get here, just get in touch with me.

Tschuess,

Sandy

Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,224 times
Hi Silke, I am from Germany too and living since one year in Portland, OR, that is around 300 km away from Seattle. They say, that the weather in Seattle is worse than Portland (more rain), but when I read the forum, I don't know about that. Anyway, I can compare Germany vs. Oregon/Washington and it is pretty similar. The nature is like the Black Forest (Schwarzwald), only much bigger of course:-) like everything in the U.S., and the weather we had last year/this year was wet, cloudy in autum (starting in October), winter and spring - up till June (but everybody said that is unusual) and now it is summer and warm/hot, dry and quite humid. So, yeah I would say very much like the part of Germany that hardly gets any snow, but a lot of rain. So, feel at home:-) here. By the way, I came from Cologne to the US in 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington