Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM

18 posts, read 55,265 times

Advertisements

I'm dead set on moving to Washington in August of next year. I was born and raised in Phoenix, AZ but always made trips up to WA when I was younger on account of most of my family being from Walla Walla. I absolutley love the whole damn state, but I'm having trouble figuring out where I used make my way too and it depends on 4 things-

-Good colleges
-Decent rent/cost of living
-good culture (music/sports/nightlife/whatever)
-weather (rain is good, drowning is not)

So does anyone from above mentioned cities have some useful insight? Im just trying compare the 4 to make a decent decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 01:13 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishafool View Post
I'm dead set on moving to Washington in August of next year. I was born and raised in Phoenix, AZ but always made trips up to WA when I was younger on account of most of my family being from Walla Walla. I absolutley love the whole damn state, but I'm having trouble figuring out where I used make my way too and it depends on 4 things-

-Good colleges
-Decent rent/cost of living
-good culture (music/sports/nightlife/whatever)
-weather (rain is good, drowning is not)

So does anyone from above mentioned cities have some useful insight? Im just trying compare the 4 to make a decent decision.
Seattle:
Colleges--Washington State University is one of the best in the US
Cost of living--Expensive, especially in housing. But other staples of life are reasonable.
Culture--Seattle was famous for grunge, but not Seattle is turning more into a professional community. Seattle is a major metropolitan area, so you're going to find stuff in all catagories.
Weather--We get a lot of rain, but we don't drown. The biggest problem here is the months and months of gray, which can really get to people here.

Olympia:
Colleges--Not a lot here except for St. Martins, but it's pretty good from what I've heard. They have a good engineering department.
Cost of living--Average. You can get some good deals, and being a small town it's going to be cheaper than, say, Seattle.
Culture--Olympia is comparable to Europe in my opinion. It definitely has its own culture with coffee shops, bars, and music venues. Percival Landing is a great place to walk along the Sound.
Weather--Same as Seattle but wetter.

Tacoma:
Colleges--Bates Technical College, Tech. campus for Washington State University, and various other technical and community colleges.
Cost of living--Average, depending on where you are. Most of Tacoma is a dump, but it's getting better. And North Tacoma and Downtown are especially nice these days.
Culture--There are a lot of poor areas, but it's getting better. There's not much going on downtown, but because of WSU more is opening up. There are a lot of water activities because you're so close to the waterfront.
Weather--Same as Seattle.

Spokane:
Colleges--There are a lot of community colleges, Eastern Washington University, Whitworth, and Gonzaga.
Cost of living--cheap. Renting and buying are very reasonable.
Culture--There's a lot of military, and the downtown seems a little rundown. But I love Spokane. The waterfront park is great!
Weather: You have the four seasons here unlike western Washington because you're on the other side of the mountains. It's cold and snowy in the winter and dry and hot in the summer. It's deserty as opposed to th west, which is very green.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:29 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Sobefobik actually means that Seattle has (and Tacoma has satellite campus belonging to) University of Washington.

Washington State University is in Pullman which is closer to Spokane. (About an hour and a half drive.)

Olympia has the Evergreen State College... which is... interesting to say the least.

Otherwise, I concur with everything he says.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Sobefobik actually means that Seattle has (and Tacoma has satellite campus belonging to) University of Washington.

Washington State University is in Pullman which is closer to Spokane. (About an hour and a half drive.)

Olympia has the Evergreen State College... which is... interesting to say the least.

Otherwise, I concur with everything he says.
The campus in Seattle really big, isn't it? It seems like I drove by there before and it was huge, but it has been a while.

I agree that Olympia is pretty interesting, especially when talking about the people. However, I do like the atmosphere.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
The campus in Seattle really big, isn't it? It seems like I drove by there before and it was huge, but it has been a while.

I agree that Olympia is pretty interesting, especially when talking about the people. However, I do like the atmosphere.
I think Inkpoe meant that you meant to type "University of Washington" instead of "Washington State University" as being in Seattle.

Yes, nice writeup, Sobefobik.

In addition, Tacoma has University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University both of which are well regarded.

And Seattle also has Seattle University and Seattle Pacific University amongst other smaller less notable ones.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I think Inkpoe meant that you meant to type "University of Washington" instead of "Washington State University" as being in Seattle.

Yes, nice writeup, Sobefobik.

In addition, Tacoma has University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University both of which are well regarded.

And Seattle also has Seattle University and Seattle Pacific University amongst other smaller less notable ones.
Ah, duh! Slipped right through the cracks in my brain!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Ok so my brother(who I'm moving with) and I have narrowed it down to either Tacoma or Spokane, on account of we don't got all the money in the world and the colleges are pretty decent. Now we're just trying to figure out were to go. I know Tacoma is right up the way from Seattle so we'll see and do alot more but the weather/and outdoor activities in Spokane are desirable. Damn! Anyone have some sound wisdom to share?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 PM

238 posts, read 865,762 times
Weather is more extreme in Spokane than in Tacoma. Don't know if that is a good thing or not.

There are good colleges (TCC, Pierce) in the Tacoma area but just so you know UPS & PLU are the most expensive universities in the state.
TCC is a good starting point:
"The Washington Monthly, an independent DC social research magazine, has ranked Tacoma Community College 17th among the community colleges in the country—and number one in Washington State." (http://www.tacomacc.edu/abouttcc/mediareleases/?storyid=558 - broken link)

If you are younger (20's-30's) I would say look at the St. Helens/Stadium District/North Slope area which is the north part of Downtown Tacoma. Also check out FeedTacoma.com it has a ton of current info on whats going on in town so you can get the vibe.

Last edited by Jake840; 11-12-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake840 View Post
There are good colleges (TCC, Pierce) in the Tacoma area but just so you know UPS & PLU are the most expensive universities in the state.
TCC is a good starting point:
"The Washington Monthly, an independent DC social research magazine, has ranked Tacoma Community College 17th among the community colleges in the country—and number one in Washington State." (http://www.tacomacc.edu/abouttcc/mediareleases/?storyid=558 - broken link)
University of Puget Sound (UPS) and Pacific Lutheran University (PLU) are private schools. Hence the higher price tag. Usually private schools offer better forms of aid.

I would suggest just going into the community colleges here, figure out what you want to do then transfer to the school that has the program. But our community colleges here aren't too shabby and offer a great variety as well.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 PM

ok so we know Tacoma is pretty handled on the college/nightlife issues. But now the biggest thing is the availability of outdoor activities in the area. There's gotta be a lot of camp grounds/hiking-biking trails around Tacoma right? I mean it is Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington