Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM

78 posts, read 144,683 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Merrie and I am trying to find a place to get me out of where I am now. I am mainly looking to get away from the long winters, need a safe place as I will be moving by myself and really enjoy being near the ocean as it is the only place I have found true happiness. I will be looking for bookkeeping jobs and a room to rent. Please tell me about the cost of living, prices of gas and how much I would need saved up before I move. Also, please describe the winters and summers, how friendly people are and I should also mention I am looking for someplace where there are things to do. Where I am now it is unusual to hit 95 and I think that is hot, but of course my roommate does not like to have the door open to get a breeze and there is no a/c in the house. Right now I am researching my move and would very much like for this to be my last long winter!!!

Thank you for your time and input,
Merrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
If you are looking for great weather, WA probably isn't your best option. The winter days are very short and winters are dark and rainy. Many years, we do not get summer weather until July 5th. Please see the climate thread in this board.

You would be better off in northern/central CA, where the winters are milder.

I can't begin to tackle everything else.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 PM

Thanks, I posted on all the coastal states I would consider

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times
If you dislike long winters, you're not going to enjoy our coastline. It's VERY wet and cloudy. We also have long winters not on the coast. AlohaHuey is right that our summers start late and end early. We do have beautiful summers, but they don't last long.

It sounds to me like you want to live on the SoCal coast, maybe a place like Santa Barbara.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 PM

232 posts, read 805,381 times
Where are u moving from? I find that people's opinion of a new place depends largely on where they came from. Someone from a sunshine state will have a vastly different opinion of the pnw compared to someone from the Midwest or northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post
Hi, my name is Merrie and I am trying to find a place to get me out of where I am now. I am mainly looking to get away from the long winters, need a safe place as I will be moving by myself and really enjoy being near the ocean as it is the only place I have found true happiness. I will be looking for bookkeeping jobs and a room to rent. Please tell me about the cost of living, prices of gas and how much I would need saved up before I move. Also, please describe the winters and summers, how friendly people are and I should also mention I am looking for someplace where there are things to do. Where I am now it is unusual to hit 95 and I think that is hot, but of course my roommate does not like to have the door open to get a breeze and there is no a/c in the house. Right now I am researching my move and would very much like for this to be my last long winter!!!

Thank you for your time and input,
Merrie

Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Right now I am researching my move and would very much like for this to be my last long winter!!!
Consider WA can have one of the longest winters in the USA (apart from WY). It is all relative, but this yr September rains came very early and those are likely to last until mid-June or early July (which can equal 250 days + of 'winter' for those who might be looking for the 'sun'.) Cloudy and rainy = 'winter' to many folks, especially my friends that visit from their homes near equator. I have run my wood stove every month of the yr in WA. (not always, but often enough to realize a cold rainy week in July can drop the house to below 65F). It is even more fun when camping at the beach during a rainy week. Just like in San Clemente, CA; you may have to escape 'inland' to get the sun and to warm up in the summer.

The entire west coast of USA is subject to fog and cold periods in the winter and summer.

I would look at moving to the Cook Islands.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Thank you for your input. I am in Vermont and really want away from winters. I may still plan a vacation someday as I have heard several times that Washington was beautiful and before today I wasn't sure how the winters were near the coast. I appreciate the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington