Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
...Seems like most replies on these boards focus on whatever negative that can be found. Everyone needs to realize there are drawbacks to anywhere you live and life it absolutely what you make it
I'm just trying to keep WA forum from becoming an OR forum, where you can't even post a dissenting opinion (tolerance )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
... I will be moving to Port Angeles in June and am very happy with my choice, cannot wait to get there
Wait till we crank loose on all the riff-raff we can drag up about PA (we all know plenty, but we trust your experience will be good, you will probably get some fair warnings, and they are good to heed.

Quote:
pw72You are absolutely correct. The focus is on the negatives. However, in this case, those negatives are reality. .... from previous post...pw72"Tourist money is the only thing that really matters here. I've been there many times, (yes, as a tourist), and don't even recall seeing any houses." "hello ?? ..."
This is the stuff I am trying to avoid...^^^ Here we have the OP as a HS student with a few dreams. I'm all for letting the dreams bloom, and having spent 1/2 my life in a mtn tourist town ... it is not an 'impossible dream' AND OP is best to pursue it if reasonable. EZ'r now than when she is 35 w/ 3 kids and decides she never had a chance to 'dream'. (We've all seen that happen to plenty of families )

OP: Go for Leavenworth, Cashmere, wherever... but try a few things on for size and enjoy your youth and freedom to try stuff, AND keep pursuing those dreams. If you ever have kids or a family, help them to pursue their dreams. Life is WAY too short to hide under a security blanket.

BTW: I'm a non-conformist (that has cost me some grief in life ) Plenty of grief !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 AM

265 posts, read 722,516 times
Nicely put Actually I havent gotten too many warnings about PA except the usual small town stuff which I think is pretty much the same all over. I know about the weather and the lack of jobs which basically--welcome to the recession but I work from home so its not an issue.

I am really moving to get out into the middle of nature and PA is at the door of everything I could want. I think no matter where you go, unless you live in a bubble, you will have people who are not always nice, local government you don't agree with, with the same old people running everything, kids trying out drugs and adults who never gave them up and a hard time finding employment. Now if I am going to have to put up with all of this I am going to do it next to a mountain, near waterfalls, not far from the hotsprings, by the sea, near the ocean and an hours drive from the rainforest. And when I am desperate for some culture and shopping Seattle isn't that far away

Old 03-08-2011, 12:43 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
We have biked in that area a lot and it seems very nice. There is a lot of open space to explore, shopkeepers are friendly and the drivers we shared the road with were courteous.

I still don't understand what people like about German food, but the Mexican restaurant there was a nice surprise.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'm just trying to keep WA forum from becoming an OR forum, where you can't even post a dissenting opinion (tolerance )

Wait till we crank loose on all the riff-raff we can drag up about PA (we all know plenty, but we trust your experience will be good, you will probably get some fair warnings, and they are good to heed.

This is the stuff I am trying to avoid...^^^ Here we have the OP as a HS student with a few dreams. I'm all for letting the dreams bloom, and having spent 1/2 my life in a mtn tourist town ... it is not an 'impossible dream' AND OP is best to pursue it if reasonable. EZ'r now than when she is 35 w/ 3 kids and decides she never had a chance to 'dream'. (We've all seen that happen to plenty of families )

OP: Go for Leavenworth, Cashmere, wherever... but try a few things on for size and enjoy your youth and freedom to try stuff, AND keep pursuing those dreams. If you ever have kids or a family, help them to pursue their dreams. Life is WAY too short to hide under a security blanket.

BTW: I'm a non-conformist (that has cost me some grief in life ) Plenty of grief !
Nobody has to agree with anything written here. It is just opinion. However, I would offer that some have more educated opinions than others. Nothing wrong with "dreaming". If one to prefers to make their decisions based on "dreams", more power to them.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 PM

14 posts, read 46,708 times
how did you go from a tiny mountain tourist town like leavenworth to a hussle and bussle shipping industry port town like port angeles? are you a vampire or something?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I will agree with the others. Tourist money is the only thing that really matters here. I've been there many times, (yes, as a tourist), and don't even recall seeing any houses. I'm sure they exist, but probably are hidden somewhere out of the tourism line of sight. Fun weekend though. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Nobody has to agree with anything written here. It is just opinion. However, I would offer that some have more educated opinions than others.
educated ??? not!

There are plenty of residential places in Leavenworth, many within view of the Town Square.. as for educated FACTS...To OP: Yes you can survive and thrive in a mtn tourist town. Millions are doing that very thing all over the world at this very moment. I can even give you some facts on how to do it if you are interested . (and even live (as in a residence) in the central business district if you desire a front row seat)

Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM

265 posts, read 722,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_steel_header View Post
how did you go from a tiny mountain tourist town like leavenworth to a hussle and bussle shipping industry port town like port angeles? are you a vampire or something?
LOL, I am not the original poster. I was originally was looking at Port Townsend but decided the schools were just a bit too much on the liberal side for my liking, and I really wanted a bit more rain. That, and with the proximity to Pen. College, B.C, Hurricane Ridge, hotsprings, and all the other outdoor stuff we want to spend our time doing, Port Angeles became our obvious choice. And aren't all the vampires in Forks?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
educated ??? not!

There are plenty of residential places in Leavenworth, many within view of the Town Square.. as for educated FACTS...To OP: Yes you can survive and thrive in a mtn tourist town. Millions are doing that very thing all over the world at this very moment. I can even give you some facts on how to do it if you are interested . (and even live (as in a residence) in the central business district if you desire a front row seat)
Oh, please, lighten up. My posts were intended to be fun. Sometimes that doesn't translate well on sites like this. I have nothing against those who live and make their living in Leavenworth. It's an easy target, though. Come on, a Bavarian village that depends on Puget Sounders to visit on weekends...isn't that open for some gentle barbing? Best of luck to all who continue to run successful businesses in the Bavaria of the N.W.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
educated ??? not!

I delight in calling it the 'Barbarian Village.'

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergirl View Post
Hey All. I am from Arizona and after high school I am thinking about moving up to Leavenworth Washington. Can ane tell me what it is like there? Jobs? The Christmas? Advice? Thanks all
I live in Leavenworth and it is hopping 9 months of the year with a million + tourists annually. There are festivals, parades, great food and shopping within the town. The tree lighting ceremony is spectacular. There are local parks like Blackbird Island that are positively picturesque.There is a great deal of wildlife. You'll even see bald eagles in winter! The outdoor activities are expansive- skiing, hiking, rock climbing, snowmobiling, whitewater rafting, biking, swimming.... There are neighboring towns to explore such as Lake Wenatchee, Plain, Cashmere, Wenatchee, Lake Chelen. Seattle is only 2 1/2 hours away and there is a new train stop. They just remodeled the local hospital. There is a yoga center, naturopath and health food store. There is a thriving art and writing community. There are 4 distinct seasons.. People are friendly...

However, realistically speaking.. anyone considering a permanent move here must like or tolerate: small, quiet rural living ... weather extremes hot dry sunny summers and cold snowy (mountain snow) greyish winters ....outdoor recreation (many enthusiasts here)... the bavarian theme of the town... lower wages than in a city....mostly retail and hotel jobs...expensive home prices (although right now there are some great deals to be had. The town does have future plans in the works to build affordable housing communities). There is also a lack of diversity which may bother some people.

For a young person out of high school... it may be great for a summer or winter and then get boring...Not a great singles scene or much nightlife. Seattle or Portland might be a better choice. For the "oldsters" 35+ Leavenworth (or any town in Central WA) might be for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington