Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,635 times

Advertisements

Are there any cities in Washington that are practically identical to either Bellingham or Bellevue but with more sunny days and less rainy days?

When referring to "similar", I mostly mean cities that:
- Have a low crime rate.
- Have a population roughly between 70,000-100,000.
- Not a ghetto (in case the rest of the standards don't point that out, heh.)
- Lots of friendship opportunities.
- Lots of activities to do.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
The only place in Washington that will have less rain and more sun (aside from the rain shadow areas of Anacortes, down through the San Juan Islands, and over to the Sequim area but none of those areas are over 70,000 in population) that are within the population range you listed are Yakima, or the Tri-Cities area.

Most locations in western WA will be cloudy and wet even in the rain shadow areas listed previously (only a bit less than the rest of western Washington) so to have more sun and less rain, you have to start looking at locations east of the Cascades.

Yakima is known for its relatively high crime. So that only leaves the Tri-Cities area which meet your population requirements, and if you total the population of Richland, Kennewick, and Pasco, it will total more than 100,000.

And, the reason I'm leaving out the Spokane area is that its population is above 100,000.

So, with that said, it doesn't look as any place with that population range along with low crime and lots of activities to do (that's relative), along with less rain and more sunny skies, exists in Washington state.

I'm thinking, anyway.

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-21-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I agree, the simple answer is no.

The Sequim area meets all of your requirements except for the population (5,840). Often the greater the population the more the crime, Bellevue and Bellingham do have crime but the rate is very low for cities of that size.

The Tri-Cities area is completely different from the coast, more flat, dry grass areas (due to the less rain you wanted) and some people shy away from living near a superfund site. Of course, if you do the research, both Bellevue and Bellingham also have superfund sites, they just are not as well known as Richland.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
Damn. I love love love Bellingham, lived there for a year. I have that SADD thing going and fibromyalgia. It doesn't really rain rain in Bellingham. More of an all day intermittent drizzle. I would move back and debating now if it will make me suicidal and worth the risk or where else in Washington could I go? Or what other state has the same as Bellingham? Such a drag it's so grey. The greyest city in the entire U.S. I'm also a veteran on disability and Seattle VA is THE WORST. I currently live in Utah but am not Mormon and the heat is just as bad as the grey skies. Really can't win. I also need A MEDICAL MJ state for CBD. Having an extremely difficult time find a place remotely comparable to Bellingham regardless of state. Please help

Old 12-01-2016, 08:57 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
The only part of "western" Washington that meets your criteria is Wenatchee.

Your lucky that we joined western Washington in 2012, otherwise you would be stuck with all the rubes in eastern Washington.

Wenatchee metro area is just over 100,000, however.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrandia View Post
Damn. I love love love Bellingham, lived there for a year. I have that SADD thing going and fibromyalgia. It doesn't really rain rain in Bellingham. More of an all day intermittent drizzle. I would move back and debating now if it will make me suicidal and worth the risk or where else in Washington could I go? Or what other state has the same as Bellingham? Such a drag it's so grey. The greyest city in the entire U.S. I'm also a veteran on disability and Seattle VA is THE WORST. I currently live in Utah but am not Mormon and the heat is just as bad as the grey skies. Really can't win. I also need A MEDICAL MJ state for CBD. Having an extremely difficult time find a place remotely comparable to Bellingham regardless of state. Please help
Why aren't you looking at Eastern Washington? The focus on Western Washington makes no sense, you already left due to SAD. Eastern Washington is sunnier with less rain. I never understand posts looking for the opposite of what defines a location, like looking for the snowiest part of the Mojave.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:45 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwifty View Post
Are there any cities in Washington that are practically identical to either Bellingham or Bellevue but with more sunny days and less rainy days?

When referring to "similar", I mostly mean cities that:
- Have a low crime rate.
- Have a population roughly between 70,000-100,000.
- Not a ghetto (in case the rest of the standards don't point that out, heh.)
- Lots of friendship opportunities.
- Lots of activities to do.

Thanks.
There are college towns like this, but no rain, all over the U.S.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:26 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrandia View Post
Maybe look somewhere in Oregon. What is it you like about Bellingham?

For me, part of the appeal was proximity to ocean and evergreen trees, which thrive in cloudy, rainy locations. I don't see how someone can really love a location without appreciating its climate.

BTW, grayest towns in US are found in Alaska.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:29 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
As others have mentioned, the OP asked about the entire State, not just Western Washington, albeit almost 6 years ago. So Tri-Cities and even Yakima should be included as both have similar populations to Bellingham and Bellevue. (of course, Bellevue is not a fair comparison as it is a major suburb of Seattle). But these cities do provide a similar population, and a sunnier, drier climate.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-01-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington