Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 9,548 times

Advertisements

Hi Sandy,

Can you tell me a little bit more about Olympia? Job market, housing, schools etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybusylife View Post
I am thinking about moving to Washington or Oregon. I was born and raised in Germany and from what I have seen and heard I think I would love it up there. I do not want to move into a big city. I love the outdoors and I know I will love the weather up there.
I will be moving there with 2 of my children and I would like to live somewhere with good schools and a good job market.
Camas, WA, just a few minutes to German bakery and sausage shop near PDX, + plenty of German groups locally. Good schools CLOSE to recreation (10 minutes for various venues.) Very nice location for getting out of town for some sun (PDX airport, or Columbia Gorge) and to OR beaches for beauty. Most of the culture and higher EDU you will need within 20-30 minutes.

Camas School District: Home

If school is most important, also look at Hockinson District. Nice (tho conservative) community, but no 'town'. Haven of intellectual families, not the greatest commute, but OK.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 PM

129 posts, read 352,514 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all your replies. I will check out some of these cities. To answer some of the questions: I like 4 seasons, I don't mind the freezing or the rain. Like I said I grew up in germany and I miss that type of weather. As far as the size of the town, that depends. I am not a big city girl, if I can find a job in a bigger city and then live a little outside town, that would be fine.
As far as jobs, I have been in a management position for a retail store for the last 8 years, I have also done administrative work. I am open for a change.

Thanks for all your help
Try looking at Wenatchee, Moses Lake or the Tri-cities area. Plenty of openings for retail management or admins in either place. None of the cities are huge, but if they are too big for you there are plenty of rural communities in the area for you to look at.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 9,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Camas, WA, just a few minutes to German bakery and sausage shop near PDX, + plenty of German groups locally. Good schools CLOSE to recreation (10 minutes for various venues.) Very nice location for getting out of town for some sun (PDX airport, or Columbia Gorge) and to OR beaches for beauty. Most of the culture and higher EDU you will need within 20-30 minutes.

Camas School District: Home

If school is most important, also look at Hockinson District. Nice (tho conservative) community, but no 'town'. Haven of intellectual families, not the greatest commute, but OK.
Thank you so much for your info. I actually have done some searching and also have my brother moving with me now. We have started looking at the Vancouver area. It is close enough to Portland and not too far from Seattle. Any more info on Vancouver would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
... Any more info on Vancouver would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance
You can check the forum for Vancouver, but just ask any details you would like,

There is plenty I could expound on (we might want to move this to Vancouver thread)
Quote:
I will be moving there with 2 of my children and I would like to live somewhere with good schools and a good job market.
??
ages of kids
Hobbies (besides hiking) Columbia River Gorge Hikes - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington Northwest Hiker presents Hiking in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Best Easy Day Hikes - Columbia Gorge Hiking - Hikes
career choices clark/cowlitz WA all jobs classifieds - craigslist
living choices (apartment, house, rural, or urban)
transportation needs
need for services (medical, events, culture, kids in music, sports...)

One of the best things about Vancouver area is the Portland Airport (>10 minutes away, EZ, nice, quick, good connections, and a $.99 breakfast at IKEA before your flight only between 9:30 and 11 AM ) I like the $39 flights to Sacramento(ski Tahoe, or visit valley, or the city SF) $12 Priceline car makes for a cheap sanity check in the depth of winter.

next best thing is currently at hand Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden

Then there are the free rehearsals for CMNW, and the free concerts in the Portland parks in July and Aug. And of course Happy Hr at Ringside (east location) $2.25 for 'steak-bites' . Lots of fun and free (or almost) in the area.

If 200 days of rain / yr is a bit much, consider White Salmon, or Wenatchee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington