Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,119 times

Advertisements

I've been a lurker on the CD forums for quite a while, but I felt compelled to sign up just to congratulate you. I've been following your odyssey to get back to WA, and I'm really happy you made it happen. I'm lucky to have been able to stay here all my years, but I can imagine being in your position, and how much I'd want to return too. That's the best part of vacations for me, coming home. Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,357 times
Hi, Can any transplants from major cities or even large suburbs please describe their experience in relocating to Moses Lake? pros/cons..is it easy to meet new people, what is the community like, etc?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
trvl123...I'm gonna let someone chime in on here that has been in Moses Lake longer than I have. I've only been here 2 weeks but I'll say this, the people I have met from the Kingdom Hall whom I worship with are fantastic people. The territory is growing and my wife and I are told there are studies to be had with new ones to our religion. So there could be even more reasons to come back to Washington than just to reunite with family and root for the Sonic's any chance I can get.

Wait a minute-root for the Sonic's? I for one can not believe how utterly rude the NBA front office is and has been and continues ta be to Chris Hansen and Company as they try ta bring a New World Order Supersonics back to Seattle. I mean really, all David Stern and now Adam Silver have to do is hear the name "Seattle" and their thoughts instantly turn to "let's get right on this and snuff any fantasies those Seattleites might have of ever returning NBA ball back ta town."

Really? It's uncanny...let's all of a sudden praise Kevin Johnson up and down and feel free ta support him all that we can because he wants ta save the Sacramento Kings. Huh? Really? All I can hear is Gary Payton telling KJ that "you don't even know how ta play basketball, Kevin!"

Any longer-time Moses Lake residents that can chime in and help trvl123 with the questions listed above?

emmdeebee-thank you for those kind comments! I really appreciate you expressing yourself on this search I've been involved with for literally months getting back to Washington state. My wife is still missing Alamogordo, NM, and is not instantly loving Moses Lake, WA. I think it will help when it warms up a bit and we can do more things in the beautiful outdoorsy eastern Washington brown.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 PM

175 posts, read 366,336 times
The brown turns sorta greenish in the spring

This is dry falls, I think you mentioned wanting to see it. Don't forget though, that you need a discover pass to see anything worth seeing around here (state parks). Seriously, the dry falls lookout is not much more than a turn out and parking lot alongside the road, but you need a discover pass.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 PM

My wife and I headed up to Ephrata and even Soap Lake this afternoon. I thought I might like Soap Lake but after checking it out today I must say that it is one mellow, little central Washington town. With a little theater, even! A small bead shop, several downtown taverns (like that's a big deal, right?) and a cute, little library with about 300 books in it. We walked the little park downtown and took several pictures of the lake. What a mellow, quiet town. I'm impressed and have found my first of what will probably be several little eastern Washington get-away, mellow destinations to escape to for taking deep breaths and fully relaxing in. What a great find! We met the lady that runs the little bead store and chatted briefly with the librarian and were fully impressed and in possession of perked-up ears.

And, seacove, I printed out the cartoon Moses Lake picture and I've got ta tell you, that is one cool cartoonish picture of the city and it's layout.

Last edited by elkotronics; 03-06-2015 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 PM

Soap Lake, there's a "private" beach that is public property within city limits. I could tell you how to get there, but I don't know if I should, don't need everyone knowing .

So the bead shop IS open? They're always closed when I try and go. Even during "open" hours.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Yeah, the bead shop is open and she said that last year "they" made the whole street it's on during business hours of all times! She had to close completely for 4 months. As for swimming, my wife does want to come back to swim. Looked like swimming was to be had from the city park with the human sculpture and right below the flag pole area. Kind of sandy-muddy but it looks like there's city showers you could use after swimming.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:50 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

And, seacove, I printed out the cartoon Moses Lake picture and I've got ta tell you, that is one cool cartoonish picture of the city and it's layout.
Great, I'm not sure how I found it, honestly I think I was looking for a version for Port Townsend, but that link did have a few towns on it. I've seen those types of cartoons for Seattle and other places as well by different artists.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Yeah, the bead shop is open and she said that last year "they" made the whole street it's on during business hours of all times! She had to close completely for 4 months. As for swimming, my wife does want to come back to swim. Looked like swimming was to be had from the city park with the human sculpture and right below the flag pole area. Kind of sandy-muddy but it looks like there's city showers you could use after swimming.
Tried the bead store again today during their business hours, closed again.

The showers are because of the alkalinity. It's said to be 10x saltier than the ocean. It's been diluted over the years from irrigation, but it is still very salty. And brine shrimp live in it, they're red and get in your bathing suit. Showers are usually a good idea. Also, the lake mud (and the water too) is said to have healing properties, so some people will scoop up the mud from the lake and cover their bodies with it. It's funny to see.

You can get to the "private" beach by going into the library parking lot and driving through to the dirt road. Or parking at the library and walking down the dirt road. To your right, you will see where you can walk down to the beach. No showers there, but most people don't know about it, either, good place to take dogs swimming.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 AM

As long as you wash off your pups afterwards, eh? Funny, the couple at the ML Sleep Clinic last night live in Soap Lake. He mentioned the brine shrimp...yuk.

He said it's pretty good swimming but shower afterwards to cut through the soapy feeling and any mud and grime left over. He also said that you can head towards Highway 2 on Highway 17 out of Soap Lake and visit Dry Falls. Without a permit, that is, the real Dry Falls looked at from above.

I'll know more about the Dry Falls deal after I check it out and see if the upper Dry Falls spot will be photographable realistically. Without a State of Washington permit, too, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington