Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 30,156 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been here for over a year now and still haven't experienced Washington all too much..

What are somethings I can be doing?

I was thinking about taking a road trip either up to the Olympic National Park or down south to Oregon. I have FOUR days. What should I do?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
The Olympic Peninsula can be fun and you can see the rain forest, camp around Lake Quinault, check out Ocean Shores, etc.

Lots to do in Seattle

A fun start is the Seattle Underground Tour UNDERGROUND TOUR

Visit the Space Needle,
Ferry to Bainbridge Island, maybe have lunch in Poulsbo on the water
Ferry to San Juan Islands, maybe stay the night at the Rosario Resort and come back the next day or go on to Victoria Island (British Columbia) for a day trip
Visit Snoqualmie Falls
Take the Ferry to Whidbey Island, Lunch in Coupeville, drive north across Deception Pass
Visit the wineries like Chateau St. Michelle and/or Red Hook Brewery
Whale Watching
Lots of restaurants and museums to try

I'm sure others will have suggestions as well

Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Where are you, When are you going, and What do you like?
There are some great roadtrips websites / activities for WA state

Oly Peninsula Circle is a good trip (stay in Pt Townsend or at Ft Worden) at least one night.

Wenatchee / Leavenworth / Chelan is another favorite

North Cascades (in summer or fall)

Mt Rainer (best when wild flowers are out, or in late winter for snow)

Spokane and valleys North and South (I really like mid May, very GREEN, not hot) Palouse Falls!!

Columbia Gorge (Portland to Maryhill)

Oregon coast (Astoria to Lincoln City)

Skagit Valley and Lynden (Tulip season - SOON)

Summer / Fall trip top Okanogan (fruit loop)

Oh, and soooo much more... (San Juans, Mt St Helens, SE Blue Mtns, NW Bellingham, NE Metaline Falls, SW Long Beach / Illwaco...

Washington Scenic Drives and Road Trips
Washington Tourist Attractions
Washington

Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The Olympic Peninsula can be fun and you can see the rain forest, camp around Lake Quinault, check out Ocean Shores, etc.

Lots to do in Seattle

A fun start is the Seattle Underground Tour UNDERGROUND TOUR

Visit the Space Needle,
Ferry to Bainbridge Island, maybe have lunch in Poulsbo on the water
Ferry to San Juan Islands, maybe stay the night at the Rosario Resort and come back the next day or go on to Victoria Island (British Columbia) for a day trip
Visit Snoqualmie Falls
Take the Ferry to Whidbey Island, Lunch in Coupeville, drive north across Deception Pass
Visit the wineries like Chateau St. Michelle and/or Red Hook Brewery
Whale Watching
Lots of restaurants and museums to try

I'm sure others will have suggestions as well
For these ferries, do you have to order tickets in advance or can you just show up? Also, camping during this time of year, will that be alright or a little ridiculous?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
As long as the road is open, you have to start by going to Hurricane Ridge and take a long hike there. Stop for a burger and fries downstairs in the visitor center.

With 4 days time you could loop around from there via forks and down 101 to the Hoh Rainforest and see some incredible trees. Then continue down to Lake Quinault, then divert to Ocean Shores and see Aberdeen and Hoquiam
on the way back.

In spring or summer we did a similar loop last year on the North Cascades Highway through Winthrope, Twisp, and Methow Valley, then through Leavenworth and Wenatchee, back via I90.

We've been here 18 years and have still not see all this state has to offer
but we're working on it.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Where are you, When are you going, and What do you like?
There are some great roadtrips websites / activities for WA state

Oly Peninsula Circle is a good trip (stay in Pt Townsend or at Ft Worden) at least one night.

Wenatchee / Leavenworth / Chelan is another favorite

North Cascades (in summer or fall)

Mt Rainer (best when wild flowers are out, or in late winter for snow)

Spokane and valleys North and South (I really like mid May, very GREEN, not hot) Palouse Falls!!

Columbia Gorge (Portland to Maryhill)

Oregon coast (Astoria to Lincoln City)

Skagit Valley and Lynden (Tulip season - SOON)

Summer / Fall trip top Okanogan (fruit loop)

Oh, and soooo much more... (San Juans, Mt St Helens, SE Blue Mtns, NW Bellingham, NE Metaline Falls, SW Long Beach / Illwaco...

Washington Scenic Drives and Road Trips
Washington Tourist Attractions
Washington
I am at Fort Lewis, and we have a 4 day weekend coming up.. I need to legitimately do something.. I specifically like nature and views (especially when the SUN is outside!) Secluded Camping is on my to do list, but without the sun I really dont feel like going. Anything, really, anything.. I am down to go for. Thanks!!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apdunshiz View Post
I am at Fort Lewis, and we have a 4 day weekend coming up.. I need to legitimately do something.. I specifically like nature and views (especially when the SUN is outside!) Secluded Camping is on my to do list, but without the sun I really dont feel like going. Anything, really, anything.. I am down to go for. Thanks!!
OK, a little more help ... what are the dates for your Exodus?

If next week (18-22 Feb 2011) looks like you better head east for sunshine. You still have plenty of gray remaining this spring @ Ft Lewis. (exactly what you will get if you head to the Oly Peninsula, San Juan Islands, or Oregon coast)

It is a bit cold for camping anywhere I look for that time frame. Spokane is a bit far and colder (snow), So I would head to Wenatchee / Leavenworth / Chelan / Twisp / Winthrop. There are some terrific places to camp in these parts. (some areas may be closed for winter, but the sites along the River should be open)

Intellicast - Wenatchee Weather Report in Washington (98801)
Take a few bucks and find a cheap place to stay, sometimes smaller towns have fun old hotels that have shared baths for pretty cheap.

Wenatchee National Forest - Camping
Wenatchee Valley - Recreation - Camping & RVing | Visit Wenatchee Valley Washington Visitors Bureau
Wenatchee Washington WA Campgrounds RV Parks | Official Sites
Wenatchee, Washington, Outdoors Recreation
Camping, RV Parks, Campgrounds - Wenatchee, Washington

It is even looking like rotten weather next weekend in Sacramento (where I head for winter sun on a $39 flight). Plan to do that March - May, it is green and nice in CA during that time. A $12 / day rental car from Priceline will make it a pretty cheap getaway.

Eureka and the Redwoods will be a nice 4 day car trip from Ft Lewis (~ 8 + hrs one way). I drive the I-5 route at night so I can arrive and eat Breakfast in Samoa at Welcome to the Historic Samoa Cookhouse - Since 1890 on California's North Coast Arrive Hungry There are plenty of places to take a nice quiet nap while enjoying the Redwoods. I usually arrive back home just in time to go back to work... I'm not one to come home from vacation a day early to get rested up for work

While stationed in Europe I would schedule a train that would get me back to town in time to go straight to work. Most jobs can be done in your sleep anyway.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OK, a little more help ... what are the dates for your Exodus?

If next week (18-22 Feb 2011) looks like you better head east for sunshine. You still have plenty of gray remaining this spring @ Ft Lewis. (exactly what you will get if you head to the Oly Peninsula, San Juan Islands, or Oregon coast)

It is a bit cold for camping anywhere I look for that time frame. Spokane is a bit far and colder (snow), So I would head to Wenatchee / Leavenworth / Chelan / Twisp / Winthrop. There are some terrific places to camp in these parts. (some areas may be closed for winter, but the sites along the River should be open)

Intellicast - Wenatchee Weather Report in Washington (98801)
Take a few bucks and find a cheap place to stay, sometimes smaller towns have fun old hotels that have shared baths for pretty cheap.

Wenatchee National Forest - Camping
Wenatchee Valley - Recreation - Camping & RVing | Visit Wenatchee Valley Washington Visitors Bureau
Wenatchee Washington WA Campgrounds RV Parks | Official Sites
Wenatchee, Washington, Outdoors Recreation
Camping, RV Parks, Campgrounds - Wenatchee, Washington

It is even looking like rotten weather next weekend in Sacramento (where I head for winter sun on a $39 flight). Plan to do that March - May, it is green and nice in CA during that time. A $12 / day rental car from Priceline will make it a pretty cheap getaway.

Eureka and the Redwoods will be a nice 4 day car trip from Ft Lewis (~ 8 + hrs one way). I drive the I-5 route at night so I can arrive and eat Breakfast in Samoa at Welcome to the Historic Samoa Cookhouse - Since 1890 on California's North Coast Arrive Hungry There are plenty of places to take a nice quiet nap while enjoying the Redwoods. I usually arrive back home just in time to go back to work... I'm not one to come home from vacation a day early to get rested up for work

While stationed in Europe I would schedule a train that would get me back to town in time to go straight to work. Most jobs can be done in your sleep anyway.
Thank You for this!

Helps me out a great bunch!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM

353 posts, read 934,843 times
A lot of great suggestions above. If you go to Port Angeles, you could take the ferry to Victoria for a day. Between Port Angeles, Port Townsend, and the Olympic Natl. Park you have the four days covered and more.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
Not sure if you'll find sun this time of year, but you probably won't get rained on on the eastern side of the mountains. You can have a lot of fun with several day trips and not worry about getting rained out at the campground. The trips that I am listing below will give you a pretty good feeling for the state and can give you a feeling for where you'd like to go back to when the weather is better.

One of my favorite hikes this time of year is Ancient Lakes near Quincy. If your only experience with Washington is the wet side of the mountains you'll be surprised by this hike. It's a short, easy hike to the head of a coulee with a waterfall plunging into a desert lake. You'll be surrounded by basalt cliffs that tell the story of the geologic history of the Columbia plateau. Wide open spaces, big sky, and usually dry when it's raining on the west side.

I'd also recommend a trip to Paradise on Mount Rainier. Rent some cross country skis, snow shoes or play equipment from the base (if they still do that) to play in the snow. Explore the nature trails at the lower elevations if they are snow free. You'll need to have chains in your car, but you probably won't need them.

Another nice day trip is Anacortes, Mount Erie, Deception Pass State Park, Ebey's Prairie, Fort Casey and back across the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry. The north side of Deception Pass around Bowman Bay and Rosario Head is beautiful. Bring a flashlight to explore the old fortifications at Fort Casey.

Another nice drive this time of year is up Hood Canal. From where you are, I'd head south to 101 out of Olympia and head north along the canal. There are plenty of places for little side trips like Lake Cushman, the Dosewallips River, the Duckabush, the Queets and several others. If you want a hike and the weather is nice, head to the top of Mount Walker, just south of Quilcene, for some amazing views of Puget Sound and the Cascades. You can then loop around on Highway 3 toward Bremerton and then 16 to the Tacoma Narrows bridge and back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington