Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 147,404 times

Advertisements

G'day all, just stumbled across this great looking forum, I am looking for some info about buying a vehicle (truck) in WA State, specifically:

What is the rate of taxes and other additional costs over and above sticker price you need to budget for when buying a used vehicle in WA?
What ID if any do you need to provide?
Do you have to be a WA resident to buy a vehicle in WA?
Anything else I need to know?

Looks like a great forum, looking forward o hearing from you!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
You would not have to be a WA resident, but if financing you would have to show proof of insurance or buy some through the dealer. Depending on the city/county your tax could be over 10%. You would also have to pay the license fee if due and transfer fee, probably not more than a hundred or two.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
G'day all, just stumbled across this great looking forum, I am looking for some info about buying a vehicle (truck) in WA State, specifically:

What is the rate of taxes and other additional costs over and above sticker price you need to budget for when buying a used vehicle in WA?
What ID if any do you need to provide?
Do you have to be a WA resident to buy a vehicle in WA?
Anything else I need to know?

Looks like a great forum, looking forward o hearing from you!

Thanks
If your looking to buy a vehicle to travel in the states.

Buy it in one of the states without a sales tax. Oregon or Montana. You would save lots of money. Minimum you pay in Washington would be 8.5%.

You also need to license in that state. Not sure about Oregon's license fees.

You also need insurance. Insurance is based on residence location. So a small town will result in much lower insurance rates than in an urban area.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
If you are going to license the vehicle in Washington you are going to pay the tax (they may call it a fee instead of sales tax but it is the same). It is much cheaper to buy in Oregon with no sales tax but there is an active Washington Patrol unit that looks for people using Oregon plates in Washington to save money.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
I do believe you are required to have a WA drivers License to TITLE a car in WA. In OREGON you are required to have an insurance policy to get a license plate. (By law you're required to have insurance in all states that I know of, but... WA does not require you to show proof if Insurance to get plates.)

WA is very petty about registration and taxes of vehicles (major source of revenue).

I think you can buy a vehicle in any state and register it in your state of Domicile, you purchase 'transit' permits to go across states enroute to 'home'. (or just take your chances with a non-expired' plate.) Done that MANY times driving vehicles across different states. Winter is good, as you can cover plate up with snow. OR get vehicle very muddy and cover plate with mud. Cars that sell at abandoned vehicle auctions get higher bids if they have current plates, the bums that buy them (me...), seldom register them, they just drive them till the plates expire and park them on the road (after all the last car I bought there cost me a whole $35.00, I'm still driving it several yrs later).

I'd go with MT, probably much less hassle. Lots of retirees use SD as domicile (only 1 night / yr required for residency + it is Income Tax Free) and many purchase / register vehicles in neighboring MT.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 147,404 times
G'day all again

Thanks for all the great info, and so quickly, much appreciated! That's interesting about the one night/year in SD to qualify for residency - that was a question I forgot to ask - do you think not being a US citizen and in the country on a 90 day tourist visa would be an impediment or cause complications? Would one need proof of residency such as utility bills, etc to buy a car in other states?
I am also looking at cars in Oklahoma also now, so I guess they have a totally different tax regime to WA.
I would not be looking at financing the car, just a cash purchase, but would obviously need to be able to drive around freely. Last time I rented a car in the US (CA) I used my Aussie driver's license, no worries! Hopefully that will apply elsewhere too, international licenses are a bit of a joke really.

Cheers and beers!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
I recently bought a car and the sales tax, including local city tax was 8.5% which is typical of most localities in Washington, although you will pay more in sales tax if you buy in Seattle or Tacoma. So, if you buy a used car for $5000 you'll pay about $400 in sales tax. Other costs like license and tag fees, state emissions tests, and title transfer fees will add roughly another $80 or so.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
G'day all again
...- do you think not being a US citizen and in the country on a 90 day tourist visa would be an impediment or cause complications? Would one need proof of residency such as utility bills, etc to buy a car in other states?...
Here are a couple searches on this subject (and a couple opinions / facts to consider)
Answers.com - Can a non citizen buy a car in us
Buying a Car to Drive in the USA - USATourist Community

Oklahoma - Buying & Selling FAQs - The Paperwork To File At The OK DMV - DMV Guide
Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Information
Montana Title Transfers - MVD Titling & Registration Information Online - DMV Guide
License Plates - MT Dept of Justice

BTW: You can probably get a bargain on a Hail Damaged car in OK. I find TX has some of the best used car prices, and no rust issues. You can always title in a sales-tax free state to avoid TX high sales tax. Sounds like you need to 'buddy-up' with a 'resident' of a sales-tax free state with low license fees. (to get a street addy that they can mail the title to ). Check on some RV forums, as they do this all the time (since they have no street addy). Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers

Sales taxes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do I Have to Pay a Sales Tax for Buying a Car?

Registration and Title Fees By State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: