Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times

Advertisements

Expect to be very wet and cold. It's more or less inevitable. Look for places with cabins; you'll be a lot more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Just realized something, this is about March (and looking back I even acknowledged that in my last post) but for some reason I was thinking May.

Yea, March will still be pretty wet and chilly state wide. Some locations on the dry side will be better than on the wet side, unless you can find a camping spot in a good rain shadow area. Still will be chilly, but drier.

Still though, nothing wrong with camping in rainy weather. Or even cold snowy weather, at that. Of course summer camping is better. Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 15,531 times
Thanks everyone, for some reason my spouse is dead-set on camping in March, don't ask me why, I keep trying to convince him that a nice hotel room would be better, but to no avail.
Oh well, we'll make the best of it =)

Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM

48 posts, read 87,472 times
March is VERY cold up in my little corner of Washington. I don't live in Forks, but I live in Port Angeles. I am just going to assume that you know where Port Angeles is at in comparison to Forks

It's the end of February and our ground is covered in snow, as we've had a winter storm going on. And everyone was betting we'd have an early spring! Then BAM!!! Winter storm, with a foot of snow in some areas.

We do get nice days in March, but our weather at this time of year is very unpredictable. Bisjoe is right...July and August are the best, ESPECIALLY if you want to stay anywhere on the Olympic Peninsula.

As for places to camp, you should definitely try out Salt Creek. It's not Forks, but it's in that general direction. It's a beautiful campground, and you'll definitely be able to fish. Not exactly primitive, but it's private and spacious and there is plenty to do. Hope I could help! And have fun!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 15,531 times
your right, novemberrain, Salt Creek campground is beautiful, we will definately check that one out, one of these days.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM

129 posts, read 352,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirltoo View Post
Thanks everyone, for some reason my spouse is dead-set on camping in March, don't ask me why, I keep trying to convince him that a nice hotel room would be better, but to no avail.
Oh well, we'll make the best of it =)
Camping along Lake Roosevelt is very interesting this time of year. Sun Lakes and Steamboat rock parks are also open to off-season camping. You just have to watch out for the winds.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurran View Post
Camping along Lake Roosevelt is very interesting this time of year. Sun Lakes and Steamboat rock parks are also open to off-season camping. You just have to watch out for the winds.
The wind... the WIND!!!!! Winds through the coulees can be horrible this time of year, all the way late spring! Throughout most of Eastern Washington, really!

But, they aren't always blowing! A spring camping can be very pleasant over that way on during a calm period!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
The wind... the WIND!!!!! Winds through the coulees can be horrible this time of year, all the way late spring! Throughout most of Eastern Washington, really!

But, they aren't always blowing! A spring camping can be very pleasant over that way on during a calm period!
The truth is, the wind can be terrible anytime over here. I'm still working on a sail system for the top of the van.

My favorite campground this time of year is actually Coulee City, but they are draining Banks lake down this year, so it's not exactly waterfront camping anymore.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Whoa wait, what do you mean they are draining Banks Lake??? I love that lake how much are they draining it by and why?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Whoa wait, what do you mean they are draining Banks Lake??? I love that lake how much are they draining it by and why?
They are draining it way down, they have plans to work on the Dam this year. They are letting the water out for irrigation this year but they aren't refilling it from Roosevelt until next spring.
Coulee City is taking this opportunity to redo the boat launching area as well. I'm sure other cities further up the lake are also doing what maintenance they can while the water is down this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington